Deployment update - 2022 Grand South America on Volendam now bookable

The 2022, 74 day round trip Ft Lauderdale Grand South America cruise on the Volendam became publicly available for booking today (they had been working on re-accommodating those affected by the cancellation of the 2021 sailing).  It is also bookable in 2 shorter segments of 40 days from Ft Lauderdale to Buenos Aires and 34 days from Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale.  The 2022 cruise will transit west via the Panama Canal, down the west coast of South America, offer scenic cruising of Antarctica, come up the east coast, travel up the Amazon, then continue back to Ft. Lauderdale.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise.html#{!tag=destinationTag}destinationIds=W&{!tag=departTag}departDate=2022-01-01T00:00:00Z,2022-02-01T00:00:00Z&{!tag=durationTag}duration=&{!tag=embarkTag}embarkPortCode=&sort=departDate asc,price_USD_anonymous asc&group.sort=departDate asc,price_USD_anonymous asc&{!tag=regionTag}regions=WS&soldOut=false

The segment voyages appear to be being sold as GTY only for all categories.  Ony the full cruise allows chooising a specific room at this time.  The "G" next to each of the category letters in the below display on the agent booking system is what I'm going by

image.png.7a60a8b03868d1b6d1ef8cf0b2cf7832.png

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@AtlantaCruiser72  In your experience how long is it before non-guaranteed rooms become available.

Cabin assignments on GTY bookings can be done at anytime up to boarding day.  Most are done 21-14 days prior.

Holland may or may not ever make the segments available to choose your room at booking.  Most common time to see them open up inventory for actual room assignments at booking would be around the final payment date for the full grand voyage.  If you book as a GTY and they later open inventory for your specific category you can ask to have a room allocated to your reservation from the then available inventory.

Wow, I guess people were eagerly awaiting this news like me.  I contacted my TA yesterday for an Eastern Caribbean cruise in Feb 2022, and the 1st four cabins I requested were already booked.  I guess we all are needing to have something to look forward to!

We booked this cruise yesterday just as soon as we heard it was open for booking.  This has been one of our favorite HAL cruises.  This will be our fourth time we will be doing it.  We had done this three times on the Prinsendam over the years.  Also hit Antarctica. In February of this year on the 2020 World cruise on the Amsterdam.  We absolutely love the Antarctica experience.

I booked it as soon as I heard it opened as well. I did the first half of this cruise on the Prinsendam in 2019 and loved it. Deciding as soon as I got home that I had to return to Antarctica (amazing experience), I had booked myself a cruise to Antarctica on the Westerdam originally for January 2021 (which I then changed to 2022), but am much more excited about being able to do another Grand Voyage and the full voyage this time. I know that HAL transferred reservations over from the 2021 Grand, but was still surprised that there were only two lanai cabins still available (happy to have snagged one). Looking forward to meeting everyone. 

AndreaB

On 10/23/2020 at 4:19 PM, Mary229 said:

@AtlantaCruiser72  In your experience how long is it before non-guaranteed rooms become available.

AtlantaCruiser72's reply to you is accurate.  If the cruise is being sold as well as recent posts indicate, if one does book a guarantee stateroom, be very sure that you will be satisfied with wherever on the ship that specific category of stateroom might be.  Sometimes, guarantees get a category or two upgrade.  If the ship is heavily booked, such is likely not to happen.  

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

AtlantaCruiser72's reply to you is accurate.  If the cruise is being sold as well as recent posts indicate, if one does book a guarantee stateroom, be very sure that you will be satisfied with wherever on the ship that specific category of stateroom might be.  Sometimes, guarantees get a category or two upgrade.  If the ship is heavily booked, such is likely not to happen.  

I really appreciate both of your inputs.  I did call HAL and they confirmed that the rooms for my segment would not open to selection until at least final payment.  I can wait!  I am also watching an Oceania cruise with a very similar itinerary on a much smaller ship.   I just like the ambience of HAL better