Jump to content

First time in suite


TowandaUK
 Share

Recommended Posts

Only our second time on Celebrity and this time we decided to treat ourselves and have booked a sky suite on Apex. Looking forward to the option to use Luminae, and the retreat lounge and sun deck. 
 However not sure of what to expect with a butler?  What services will they provide over and above those we had  previously from a room steward?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

Only our second time on Celebrity and this time we decided to treat ourselves and have booked a sky suite on Apex. Looking forward to the option to use Luminae, and the retreat lounge and sun deck. 
 However not sure of what to expect with a butler?  What services will they provide over and above those we had  previously from a room steward?

We sailed in a sky suite on a B2B on the Reflection last year and had a great butler. We really didn’t use him all that much as we don’t do in cabin dining. But he did bring us a fruit bowl every morning and if we had any issues, he was there for us. But one thing we did learn is that if you have any issue, they get somewhat offended if you go to customer service to get it resolved rather than contacting them as your proxy. In fact I would imagine CS would be privately asking the butler later on why is one of your passengers coming down here to see us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

Only our second time on Celebrity and this time we decided to treat ourselves and have booked a sky suite on Apex. Looking forward to the option to use Luminae, and the retreat lounge and sun deck. 
 However not sure of what to expect with a butler?  What services will they provide over and above those we had  previously from a room steward?

The butler basically replaces the room steward for any issues you have with the suite. They also take care of any special requests you might have, such as hosting a party in your suite, setting everything up. They take care of your laundry or dry cleaning. 
We like to have breakfast in our suite every morning and the butler takes care of this, setting everything up on the verandah.

I agree with Ken, the butlers do not want their guests to stand in line at the Customer Service desk. They will either take care of your problem personally, or will get in touch with the Suite Manager for you if necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The butler basically replaces the room steward for any issues you have with the suite. They also take care of any special requests you might have, such as hosting a party in your suite, setting everything up. They take care of your laundry or dry cleaning. 
We like to have breakfast in our suite every morning and the butler takes care of this, setting everything up on the verandah.

I agree with Ken, the butlers do not want their guests to stand in line at the Customer Service desk. They will either take care of your problem personally, or will get in touch with the Suite Manager for you if necessary.

Actually the Suite Lounge concierge is officially part of Guest Services and can pretty much do anything they can do (except money exchanges). Also they can book excursions and get tickets.  So once I found this out I never wait in the general GS line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our first time in a suite was 2 years ago to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary.  We had no idea what to expect but when we asked out amazing butler for coffee one morning he was so happy that we asked him for something!  They are amazing- ask them anything!  And, BTW- once you go "Suite" you never go back!!!  When in April are you on the Apex?  We are doing a B2B on April 3 and April 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

Only our second time on Celebrity and this time we decided to treat ourselves and have booked a sky suite on Apex. Looking forward to the option to use Luminae, and the retreat lounge and sun deck. 
 However not sure of what to expect with a butler?  What services will they provide over and above those we had  previously from a room steward?

We upgraded to a Sky Suite on Millie on a cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong in 2015. 

Luminae was great, we enjoyed the dining upgrade.  The suite was nice, especially the bathroom, with double sinks as well as a shower and separate bath tub.

 

Our butler was excellent, but we hardly used him.  We had a bag of laundry done.  He came by our cabin every afternoon at 4PM with a cart providing tea and cookies.   We didn't want the calories so we ate few cookies.

 

Frankly, we could have done without the butler, but I know some people have more demands for a butler than we did.

 

We decided that going with a suite was just not worth the significant cost increase, so we have never booked a suite since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LMC said:

Our first time in a suite was 2 years ago to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary.  We had no idea what to expect but when we asked out amazing butler for coffee one morning he was so happy that we asked him for something!  They are amazing- ask them anything!  And, BTW- once you go "Suite" you never go back!!!  When in April are you on the Apex?  We are doing a B2B on April 3 and April 10

Thank you. We are going in September - it’s our 45th anniversary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LMC said:

When in April are you on the Apex?  We are doing a B2B on April 3 and April 10

 

We are doing the March 27 and April 3rd B2B on Apex.  

 

My experience has been -- anything related to the suite (linen, pillows, towels, etc..) the room steward takes care of. 

 

Mini-bar, ice, room service, mini-bar, arranging dining reservations, or just about anything that you would normally talk to GS about, take to the butler.  One thing we experienced on our Edge sailing was our Butler actually took the time to introduce us to her counter part.  This was the butler who covered for her when she had her off time / breaks.   Both of them were always quick to greet us and assist us when we ran into them in the theater, Retreat lounge or even once at the bar at Retreat Bar when we were having import lunch. 

 

 

One recommendation - on embarkation day, they server the most delicious lobster roll at the Retreat Bar .. I skip lunch a Luminae on embarkation day in favor of a drink, lobster roll (or two) and fries outside in the shade.   Since the lunch menu in Luminae seldom changes, this is a welcome.   However, you have to have the Luminae burger at least once.  They are delicious. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

Thanks for your replies - most helpful. Search does not appear to work on my phone - I did try!

jelayne was seeming COVID crabby today!  CC is for exactly as you posted to share information with one another.  Your OP question was perfect!  Butler's are amazing, I have breakfast in my suite every single day of the cruise, 3 or 4 times dinner as well.  I have learned so much valuable information from folks on here, who have FAR more cruises under their belts than I do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lobster roll is available embarkation day in Luminae as well. Re: butler. I asked ours to provide a cheese plate every evening with good crackers, none of the soda crackers. This will be very helpful when there is no longer a self-serve buffet in the Ocean View Cafe. Probably the best use of butler and Retreat butler is being able to by pass Guest Services. Breakfast on the balcony is also very nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Actually the Suite Lounge concierge is officially part of Guest Services and can pretty much do anything they can do (except money exchanges). Also they can book excursions and get tickets.  So once I found this out I never wait in the general GS line.

Rick.... you are correct, but their titles have changed, and a new position was introduced.

The Retreat Concierges report to the Retreat Manager (formerly Suite Manager; Bogdan was the first to have this title, which was well deserved).

Give Lena a hug from me. ❤️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 39august said:

The lobster roll is available embarkation day in Luminae as well. 

 Breakfast on the balcony is also very nice. 

 

Thank you for that information.  I knew they were available at the bar and knew they were available only on embarkation day.  My wife will be happier eating in Luminae than at the bar.  We are not real sun worshiper's. 

 

My only issue with the Sky Suite on Edge was the table in the room and on the balcony.  They are too short for my liking.  We also have not had good experiences with room service coffee.  Will have to try it at least once on our next cruise, hopefully in March. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please, be sure to are thorough in your research as to what a butler does. Do NOT rely on him to tell you. We sailed in a suite once and only found out what  was available after we got home. We didn't know we could have drinks in Michaels Club or special consideration as to excursion because we were never told. We ordered room service from the TV and when it didn't show up, we called and were told we needed to go through the butler. It was a little disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Rick.... you are correct, but their titles have changed, and a new position was introduced.

The Retreat Concierges report to the Retreat Manager (formerly Suite Manager; Bogdan was the first to have this title, which was well deserved).

Give Lena a hug from me. ❤️

Bogdan is a pearl without price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

Please, be sure to are thorough in your research as to what a butler does. Do NOT rely on him to tell you. We sailed in a suite once and only found out what  was available after we got home. We didn't know we could have drinks in Michaels Club or special consideration as to excursion because we were never told. We ordered room service from the TV and when it didn't show up, we called and were told we needed to go through the butler. It was a little disappointing. 

Then it sounds like YOU did not do your homework/research pre-cruise.  Ask him/her, they will share it all with you, it behooves them to do so.  If decide to sail in a suite in the future, take a few minutes, let them know it is fairly new to you, can you help me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll hopefully (if the ship sails) be in a category S2 on Reflection. Do we also get a butler ?

And tell me more about where/when they offer lobster rolls? This will only be our 2nd time

sailing with Celebrity. We're very low key cruiser's and don't ask for much of anything...but would like

to know exactly what we might miss in this category.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Communication is the key to getting the best from your butler. Some people don’t want anything so Butlers will leave you alone unless you make requests. They will usually pop in first afternoon to introduce themselves after that use the telephone number they give you, don’t just try to spot them on the corridor.

 

The story of Patty 1955 is not that unusual. We have in Michael’s/Retreat mentioned we have enjoyed a shrimp platter on the balcony at night and had fellow guests comment they didn’t know they could ask for anything. Equally we have heard people complain (on the ship and on here) they never see their butler to which the obvious answer is well phone them then and tell them what you want!

 

In years gone by Butlers used to knock on your door at 4pm with afternoon tea, this is now served in the Retreat. A good thing about this was it did give a ‘touch base’ opportunity between guest and butler on a daily basis. We still ask for afternoon tea to be delivered to our suite but often it is not brought by our own butler as they are on duty.

 

Remember Butlers do service several rooms so be tolerant if you need to wait a few minutes for a coffee and if you want things like evening snacks it is much easier for Butlers to sort if you prearrange.

 

If you have any issues during your cruise (you come back soaked from an excursion, you forgot to pack something, a button comes off a jacket..) just phone your butler and he/she will use the magical phrase “just leave it to me...”.  It is often the little things a butler will do for you that make a cruise special.

 

Hope you have a wonderful suite cruise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, groryjm said:

@TowandaUK this is the most recent butler thread... Lots of useful ideas

 

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Communication is the key to getting the best from your butler. Some people don’t want anything so Butlers will leave you alone unless you make requests. They will usually pop in first afternoon to introduce themselves after that use the telephone number they give you, don’t just try to spot them on the corridor.

 

The story of Patty 1955 is not that unusual. We have in Michael’s/Retreat mentioned we have enjoyed a shrimp platter on the balcony at night and had fellow guests comment they didn’t know they could ask for anything. Equally we have heard people complain (on the ship and on here) they never see their butler to which the obvious answer is well phone them then and tell them what you want!

 

In years gone by Butlers used to knock on your door at 4pm with afternoon tea, this is now served in the Retreat. A good thing about this was it did give a ‘touch base’ opportunity between guest and butler on a daily basis. We still ask for afternoon tea to be delivered to our suite but often it is not brought by our own butler as they are on duty.

 

Remember Butlers do service several rooms so be tolerant if you need to wait a few minutes for a coffee and if you want things like evening snacks it is much easier for Butlers to sort if you prearrange.

 

If you have any issues during your cruise (you come back soaked from an excursion, you forgot to pack something, a button comes off a jacket..) just phone your butler and he/she will use the magical phrase “just leave it to me...”.  It is often the little things a butler will do for you that make a cruise special.

 

Hope you have a wonderful suite cruise.

 

On our last cruise, the butler didn't use a table cloth.  Just playmates.  The table cloth was so much more elegant.  Next cruise, I will request if we dine on our balcony.  I find some butlers are better then others and do more .  Have had great butlers and poor butlers-  We tip accordingly.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...