Jump to content

First time in suite


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Butlers assigned to higher categories do have fewer suites to take care of, probably not significantly fewer though.

The Concierge and Retreat/Suite Manager are 2 different positions.  The Suite Managers first started a few years ago, 2017 I think because we were on an Alaska cruise and Denny Flores had just been promoted to Suite Manager. We sailed with him again in 2019 on Equinox after the Revolution and his title was now Retreat Manager.  He told us the change in title would be on the Revolutionized and E class ships.  Maybe this has changed and Suite Managers are now all Retreat Managers.  His duties were the same. On Millennium he was much more visible.  2 years later he was more behind the scene but still had some interaction with suite guests.

Yes, as soon as a ship has been “revolutionized” the titles change from Suite to Retreat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I'm perfectly fine with place mats, especially on the balcony when the breeze blows the table cloth and trips me. When dining in the suite, the table is so large there is no need for a table cloth, place mats are fine.  Save the Waves.

 This is definitely not the case on Celebrity Edge.  The table in the room in our Sky Suite was small and sat very low to the ground.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 11:21 AM, DaKahuna said:

 This is definitely not the case on Celebrity Edge.  The table in the room in our Sky Suite was small and sat very low to the ground.   

Looking at the larger suite's online Edge videos.  Balcony tables seem to be a thing of the past...

Celebrity Suite - Nice size table for 2 on balcony, but no dining table in suite.

Villa Suite - No dining table on the balcony

Penthouse suite - No dining table on the balcony

Iconic suite - Very low small table not large enough for a meals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Looking at the larger suite's online Edge videos.  Balcony tables seem to be a thing of the past...

Celebrity Suite - Nice size table for 2 on balcony, but no dining table in suite.

Villa Suite - No dining table on the balcony

Penthouse suite - No dining table on the balcony

Iconic suite - Very low small table not large enough for a meals.

We sailed in the Celebrity Suite on Edge.  There is a coffee table inside the cabin but it is low of course for dining.  The round dining table on the balcony with two chairs is perfect for dining.  I guess the butler could move this inside temporarily if you wanted to dine inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We sailed in the Celebrity Suite on Edge.  There is a coffee table inside the cabin but it is low of course for dining.  The round dining table on the balcony with two chairs is perfect for dining.  I guess the butler could move this inside temporarily if you wanted to dine inside.

what is baffling is in the PH with the size of that balcony, huh!?  The table is like the one that goes to a side chair in my den.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think Celebrity was trying to discourage room service. With the new normal they may regret that decision.

If that is what they are thinking, it will not work with me.  If I am in a suite (not the PH, I wish!) and I have a butler, I fully utilize him/her as I eat breakfast in my room/balcony every morning and often times have dinner there as well.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think Celebrity was trying to discourage room service. With the new normal they may regret that decision.

That is what some here think and have stated previously.  But they have a crew of butlers for suites and their major role by far is room service.  The unfortunate part of Hoppenization of cabins or Edgefication or whatever you want to call it is that they let form rule over function for sure.  They should have asked for feedback from butlers before they took tables and footrests and loungers out of suites!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

what is baffling is in the PH with the size of that balcony, huh!?  The table is like the one that goes to a side chair in my den.

Hard to understand why they thought these were steps forward for passengers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

If that is what they are thinking, it will not work with me.  If I am in a suite (not the PH, I wish!) and I have a butler, I fully utilize him/her as I eat breakfast in my room/balcony every morning and often times have dinner there as well.  

 

Many people in suites and balcony cabins particularly in nice weather itineraries love breakfast on the open balcony to start the day.  IMO one of the joys of cruising!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think Celebrity was trying to discourage room service. With the new normal they may regret that decision.

Yes, I believe they were trying to discourage room service, especially in the suites.

Unfortunately, when they designed the Edge they made a big mistake. Luminae is situated far forward and the suites are everywhere, including far aft. The Luminae kitchen was supposed to service the suites. It was a disaster when we were in an aft S1 and the Butler arrived with the breakfast tray but there were items missing, or improperly prepared. He literally ran from the back of the ship to the front and back again, and this happened a few times during the cruise.

Fast forward to Apex being built. We were told that a galley was added in the center of the ship to alleviate this problem. I am hoping that they have changed the verandah furniture on Apex to something more appropriate for dining.

But I must admit this doesn’t explain why some of the larger suites on the Edge don’t have appropriate verandah furniture for dining, when they are not that far from the Luminae galley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Many people in suites and balcony cabins particularly in nice weather itineraries love breakfast on the open balcony to start the day.  IMO one of the joys of cruising!

Totally agree! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were not impressed with the balcony furnishings in the RS on Equinox post ‘Revolution’. The table size was OK but both chairs and the two recliner chairs with footstools didn’t have a cushion between them. Hard and uncomfortable. We did get some cushions from our butler but they were not specific to the furnishings and moved, equally uncomfortable.

 

We did arrange to meet with the suite manager to explain our dismay that the balcony furnishings post revolution were worse than before and asked him to forward our views. We did also highlight it on our post cruise survey.

 

We did have a great cruise but were disappointed that the balcony was less comfortable after a refit than before...We do hope someone somewhere listens...

 

 

Edited by chemmo
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've sailed in all suite levels on M and S class.  Will get to check out the Apex experience in a Villa in 2022. So far, we like what we see.  We have breakfast in out suite but it is never a full breakfast, more continental. We do enjoy afternoon snacks and wine on our balcony and so far the tables have suited our needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, TeeRick said:

That is what some here think and have stated previously.  But they have a crew of butlers for suites and their major role by far is room service.  The unfortunate part of Hoppenization of cabins or Edgefication or whatever you want to call it is that they let form rule over function for sure.  They should have asked for feedback from butlers before they took tables and footrests and loungers out of suites!

 

When they hired Hoppen they made a big deal that one of her 'strengths' was that she had never been on a cruise ship.  So they got what they paid for...

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a positive note, another thing that Butlers will do for you is that deadlines don't matter.  If it says that laundry takes a certain amount of time, you will get yours back sooner.  If it says you have to submit something by a certain date and time and you're late: no problem [within reason] – basically, bureaucratic deadlines don't apply to suite guests, only 'drop dead' deadlines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

When they hired Hoppen they made a big deal that one of her 'strengths' was that she had never been on a cruise ship.  So they got what they paid for...

That is so strange. In the video they play onboard, Hoppen specifically says, "I've been on cruise ships." Mind you, she doesn't say that she has cruised. Heck, I've been on a naval destroyer, but I'm certainly not a sailor, and I certainly do not know what sort of equipment or furnishings would be practical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

That is so strange. In the video they play onboard, Hoppen specifically says, "I've been on cruise ships." Mind you, she doesn't say that she has cruised. Heck, I've been on a naval destroyer, but I'm certainly not a sailor, and I certainly do not know what sort of equipment or furnishings would be practical.

IMO money well spent Celebrity, bravo Hoppen and Celebrity, great job, if Edge is an indication, APEX will be woot woot!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

That is so strange. In the video they play onboard, Hoppen specifically says, "I've been on cruise ships." Mind you, she doesn't say that she has cruised. Heck, I've been on a naval destroyer, but I'm certainly not a sailor, and I certainly do not know what sort of equipment or furnishings would be practical.

 

Here is an example from the Edge introduction period, when the Celebrity and REI heads were making so much of her negative expertise:

On 3/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

Ms. Hoppen's statements have actually made me cringe ... she basically boasts about never having sailed on a ship.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

Here is an example from the Edge introduction period, when the Celebrity and REI heads were making so much of her negative expertise:

 

have you been on the Edge?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

When they hired Hoppen they made a big deal that one of her 'strengths' was that she had never been on a cruise ship.  So they got what they paid for...

 

Why they thought that was a good idea will forever be a mystery to me.  When one is designing for small spaces such as cabins on a cruise ship, it is exceedingly important to consider function.  Hoppen seems to be all about form.  Tons of pillows, useless ceramic items (vases that don't hold water, etc.), uncomfortable chairs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

Why they thought that was a good idea will forever be a mystery to me.  When one is designing for small spaces such as cabins on a cruise ship, it is exceedingly important to consider function.  Hoppen seems to be all about form.  Tons of pillows, useless ceramic items (vases that don't hold water, etc.), uncomfortable chairs.

 

I've never met her, of course, so this is being very judgmental 😈 but… I really can't imagine that she travels with so little luggage that her cabin storage design would work for her!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

Why they thought that was a good idea will forever be a mystery to me.  When one is designing for small spaces such as cabins on a cruise ship, it is exceedingly important to consider function.  Hoppen seems to be all about form.  Tons of pillows, useless ceramic items (vases that don't hold water, etc.), uncomfortable chairs.

And when furnishing cabins on a cruise ship the size of the furniture should be appropriate to the space it occupies as well.
How much did X spend on all those rocking chairs that eventually had to be removed from all the Sky Suites on board the Edge? They were comfortable, but totally impractical.

Edited by C-Dragons
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...