Jump to content

weight scale on cruise


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Only because they started it.

 

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.    Normally at home I weigh myself once or twice per week.   Mrs Lubs weighs herself daily.  She doesn't understand why I don't weigh more often and I don't understand why she weighs herself so often.  Go figure.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course - someone with valid medical concerns which make weight monitoring essential needs to do it carefully and seriously.  However, I stick to my contention that someone on a cruise ship who feels he needs to weigh himself daily - even when at sea, when it cannot be monitored closely - is obsessing somewhat.


agreed, I don’t know anyone in my life that weighs themselves daily and has a healthy relationship with their weight. If you have a genuine healthy condition where fluid retention is deadly, that’s one thing, but most people don’t. One of my friends comes to mind. When we met she had a goal weight and I helped her meet that goal weight. That was a year ago. Ever since then she’s been a ‘5 more pounds-er’. No matter how thin she gets she wants to lose 5 more pounds. She will never be content with her weight. 
 

I personally don’t see anything healthy about monitoring your weight that closely on vacation. Taking a break is worth taking a break. IMO.

Edited by sanger727
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ldubs said:

 

Haha, no I leave the hole in the middle, but I like that.   I did once ask for some fence post holes at our local hardware store.  Young lady at the register didn't know I was joking.   

It is like the old line “your epidermis is showing “.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sanger727 said:


 

I personally don’t see anything healthy about monitoring your weight that closely on vacation. Taking a break is worth taking a break. IMO.

 

But in truth, there is nothing unhealthy about it either.   If someone wants to weigh themselves daily on the cruise ship (like me) it  really isn't remarkable.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ldubs said:

 

But in truth, there is nothing unhealthy about it either.   

 

It really depends on what the person does with the information. If it causes them stress and to enjoy their cruise less, it could be unhealthy

Edited by sanger727
Link to post
Share on other sites

People always believe numbers from measuring devices a little too much.  I used to participate in events in which I had to weigh in.  Take a known calibration standard from scale to scale and you'll get different numbers (accuracy).  Weigh an item over and over on the same scale and you'll get different numbers (repeatability).

 

Now add in how long it has been since you've gone to the bathroom or if you had a glass of water recently.  Are you wearing different clothes?  Hopefully, you're not freaking out over 2 to 4 lbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago, we sailed several times in Royal suite on Celebrity cruise line,  we had a usual style scale on floor in bathroom.     We cuised often and I was appreciative of having easy  access to a scale. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sanger727 said:


agreed, I don’t know anyone in my life that weighs themselves daily and has a healthy relationship with their weight. If you have a genuine healthy condition where fluid retention is deadly, that’s one thing, but most people don’t. One of my friends comes to mind. When we met she had a goal weight and I helped her meet that goal weight. That was a year ago. Ever since then she’s been a ‘5 more pounds-er’. No matter how thin she gets she wants to lose 5 more pounds. She will never be content with her weight. 
 

I personally don’t see anything healthy about monitoring your weight that closely on vacation. Taking a break is worth taking a break. IMO.

 

 

 

JMO,

 

BUT I think it preposterous the direction  this thread is going. NONe of m y  b usiness for me tohave an opinion about aCC poster I do not know and how often or why they wish to weigh themselves. 

 

Whether they do  or do not have a healthy relationship with theirweight is NO business of mine,  I stress,  this is my opinion, Only.

 

Next obvious direction for a thread of this sort to go is re:  (possibly)about a cruiser who maybe hasnot weighed themselves or acted upon the infoma ion likely should direct effort for healthier relationship with their weight  as has been expressed.

 

IMO

Edited by sail7seas
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Some years ago, we sailed several times in Royal suite on Celebrity cruise line,  we had a usual style scale on floor in bathroom.     We cuised often and I was appreciative of having easy  access to a scale. 

Solely out of curiosity may I ask how someone is able to amass 88,000 posts in a 20 year period ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sanger727 said:

 

It really depends on what the person does with the information. If it causes them stress and to enjoy their cruise less, it could be unhealthy

 

So true. Or they could stub their toe on the scale and cause a bad ingrown toenail.  Those scales are really unhealthy if you think about it.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ldubs said:

 

So true. Or they could stub their toe on the scale and cause a bad ingrown toenail.  Those scales are really unhealthy if you think about it.   

If it is possible to do that it is guaranteed that I will.I have had unbelievable freaky accidents over the years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 7:22 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Solely out of curiosity may I ask how someone is able to amass 88,000 posts in a 20 year period ?

Sure, it is fine to ask.......

😵😎

 

Ans   is:    

One post at a time

 

 

 

perhaps it isn' t so amazing if one considers  my late DH and I sailed about  100+  cruises during those years. 

Edited by sail7seas
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, Rdtyler said:

This is the first time I've ever posted on a forum like this, and I really appreciate all of the feedback.  I think in the end I'll just take my own small scale, calibrate it before I go, and only use it in port!  Thank you all!

 

 

I bought a smallish travel scale to do as you suggest and until I   just now  read your post,  I forgot  I have it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 11:12 PM, ldubs said:

 

So true. Or they could stub their toe on the scale and cause a bad ingrown toenail.  Those scales are really unhealthy if you think about it.   

Okay, now that you have opened this can orf worms - how about someone who has difficulty reading the dial so he takes the scale out to his balcony to try it out there and, on a whim, puts it on the little table so he can get a good look at the horizon while weighing himself - then falls overboard when the ship rolls?

 

Better rethink the advisability of regular weighing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Okay, now that you have opened this can orf worms - how about someone who has difficulty reading the dial so he takes the scale out to his balcony to try it out there and, on a whim, puts it on the little table so he can get a good look at the horizon while weighing himself - then falls overboard when the ship rolls?

 

Better rethink the advisability of regular weighing.

 

Clearly a danger.  I will be writing to my elected representatives about mandating seat belts and air bags on all scales!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

 

Clearly a danger.  I will be writing to my elected representatives about mandating seat belts and air bags on all scales!

Maybe schools could conduct classes in “Weighers’ Ed” -   leading to learners’ permits and, hopefully, licensing.  Of course, people of an advanced age — starting maybe at 65,, but certainly by 70, would need periodic retesting —  perhaps biennially.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Maybe schools could conduct classes in “Weighers’ Ed” -   leading to learners’ permits and, hopefully, licensing.  Of course, people of an advanced age — starting maybe at 65,, but certainly by 70, would need periodic retesting —  perhaps biennially.

 

And, in order to avoid emotional stress, all scales should have an override button to prevent them weighing in at more than 200# (125 for women).  😄😄😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 10:43 AM, lenquixote66 said:

If it is possible to do that it is guaranteed that I will.I have had unbelievable freaky accidents over the years.

 

It sure seems like I walk around with a lot more bruises than when I was younger.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking as someone that used to be overweight, and lost 40 pounds, I get it. I can totally see how being away from your "norm" and your scale might feel shaky to you.  As a person that is now a health coach, and helps others get to a healthy weight, I recommend the following;.  If you have no medical conditions regarding sodium, your heart is healthy, and your blood sugar is relatively stable, you will be fine on your cruise without weighing yourself everyday.

 

The scale can play tricks on our mind.  The water weight gained on a cruise could make you feel like a failure and thus encourage more negative eating habits.  I already blew it, so I might as well eat a desert, or three. 

It can also make you feel like you shouldn't eat anything, because you have already gained 1.5 pounds since you got got on board.  Then you won't enjoy your much deserved vacation. .

 

My advice...Weigh yourself the day before you leave for your cruise.  Next...Weigh yourself 2 days after you get home.  My guess is, it will be a fairly minor gain.  If it's larger than you imagine, I bet you know what to do to take care of it.  If you need help, let me know.  I am a health coach and I can help you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, sail7seas said:

Sure, it is fine to ask.......

😵😎

 

Ans   is:    

One post at a time

 

 

 

perhaps it isn' t so amazing if one considers  my late DH and I sailed about  100+  cruises during those years. 

Wow.I have been on 20 something and thought that was a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 10:50 PM, ldubs said:

 

It sure seems like I walk around with a lot more bruises than when I was younger.  

I have had 36 falls in recent years and cannot think of any part of my body I have not injured.Yesterday my 12 year old granddaughter fractured a foot .I told her not to follow in my footsteps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...