Alaska

Our first Regent cruise was in 2009 with Regent.  We always wanted to do it again so we booked it for 2021.  Has anyone booked the pre-cruise land tour with Regent to Denali? It seems pretty expensive. The one I am interested in is $2,499 per person.  It's 4 nights and includes the dome train to Denali.  

Yes we booked but we will return from Fairbanks. This is a post tour for us and not trying to say anything here but with our Titanium level we get 25% off and will pay $ 1649.00 so this helps justify the price. One of our first cruises with Regent was also Alaska I think it was May from SF. Enjoy your cruise !

You can do the trip to Denali on your own for much less than Regent. IMO 2 days/3 nights at Denali lodge is enough. Pay the extra fee for the "Gold Star" service that get you into the Dome train car. It is about a 7-8 hours train trip each way, so bring a book.

But just be sure to pay for and use Regents transfer from Anchorage to the ship. I think we paid $75.00 pp and the transfer was much cheaper than we could do on our own.

J

• Like 2

We did it with Regent in September last year, 4 nights Discover Denali at £1,850 pp, so about the same price. It included the dome train from Anchorage, a coach back, 3 nights in the Denali Grande (B&B) which was a little rustic, but fine and 1 night in the Aleyska Resort (B&B) which is really fabulous.
It included several excursions in Denali, it was the end of the season, the hotel was closing a couple of days after we left so there were sales in the shops in town, which was fun. It was also quieter, not sure what it would have been like in the height of summer with loads more people.

Enjoy!

18 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Our first Regent cruise was in 2009 with Regent.  We always wanted to do it again so we booked it for 2021.  Has anyone booked the pre-cruise land tour with Regent to Denali? It seems pretty expensive. The one I am interested in is $2,499 per person.  It's 4 nights and includes the dome train to Denali.  

Typically excursions and especially pre and post trips are at least 50% to 100% more than the actual cost of the excursion.  In this case even though Alaska is expensive, an educated guess would be close to 3 times more expensive than booking on your own.  Just like pre and post hotel rooms that are charged per person although booked per room over a thousand dollars per niite is exorbitant even in Alaska. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Typically excursions and especially pre and post trips are at least 50% to 100% more than the actual cost of the excursion.  In this case even though Alaska is expensive, an educated guess would be close to 3 times more expensive than booking on your own.  Just like pre and post hotel rooms that are charged per person although booked per room over a thousand dollars per niite is exorbitant even in Alaska. 

Yes, I realize that.  We rarely book the pre/post trips and usually do on our own. Sometimes the pre/post trips are free or low priced, like our upcoming cruise that starts in Tokyo has a couple options.  And a couple of years ago we had an amazing pre cruise safari on our South Africa cruise. The cost was only $799 pp.  Just have to figure out logistics with transfers, and booking the train.  I think we'll definitely do Denali on our own.  

Edited by Carol From California

Our first Regent cruise was also to Alaska. We went to Denali post cruise. The Regent add-on was more than we wanted to pay so we self-guided. In our case we took the train from Seward to Anchorage, then rented a car for the rest of the trip.  

We stayed at the Grande Denali Hotel, which was okay and has a great location. The people who were on the post-cruise extension appeared to have some extra activities that were beyond what we had available to us, although possibly not worth a extra $1,000. 

The onus was on us to arrange all activities but it was worth it to us for the flexibility it gave us. We also like the freedom of a rental car. 

If you haven’t done it before I highly recommend a Kenai Fjords day cruise in Seward. It wasn’t a Regent excursion but it was the best water excursion we took. We saw more whales, fish, birds, otters and seals on that excursion than on three Regent water excursions combined, times about three. 

• Like 2