Jump to content

Question about Back-to-Back sailing


Recommended Posts

Hi - When you do back-to-back and you have the same cabin for both cruises, do you have to clear out everything and unload on disembarking/embarking day, or just leave the ship yourself and reboard?

Thanks --

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DLKC said:

Hi - When you do back-to-back and you have the same cabin for both cruises, do you have to clear out everything and unload on disembarking/embarking day, or just leave the ship yourself and reboard?

Thanks --

All your stuff stays.  Only you leave (depending on the ship and port) and If you do it is part of a group.  You are walked off and back on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DLKC said:

Thanks for the quick responses.  

How about if you are booked in different cabins for the two cruises?

You pack the drawers and steward will move the stuff on hangers and suitcases. You never have to take luggage with you 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DLKC said:

Thanks for the quick responses.  

How about if you are booked in different cabins for the two cruises?

 

31 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You pack the drawers and steward will move the stuff on hangers and suitcases. You never have to take luggage with you 


This is the standard response and advice on these boards, however I would caution that the last time I did this I lost two items of clothing that were on one hanger and never reappeared.

 

Now we only book the same cabin or make sure hanging items are enclosed in an opaque garment cover with luggage tag showing new cabin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You pack the drawers and steward will move the stuff on hangers and suitcases. You never have to take luggage with you 

 

Like many things Royal be careful stating absolutes.  

 

On Oasis in December a Pinnacle in the consecutive cruiser group was required to move his own stuff.  The guests in his next cabin were slow to depart and he had to wait until they were out of the cabin before he could move his things causing him to arrive to the consecutive cruiser meeting late.  He was not impressed.  

 

I moved cabins for the first of my B3B and didn't have to move my own stuff but I also met my new cabin attendant the night before and introduced myself.  

 

Same ship, same date, different experience.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, twangster said:

 

Like many things Royal be careful stating absolutes.  

 

On Oasis in December a Pinnacle in the consecutive cruiser group was required to move his own stuff.  The guests in his next cabin were slow to depart and he had to wait until they were out of the cabin before he could move his things causing him to arrive to the consecutive cruiser meeting late.  He was not impressed.  

 

I moved cabins for the first of my B3B and didn't have to move my own stuff but I also met my new cabin attendant the night before and introduced myself.  

 

Same ship, same date, different experience.  

I know and on our B3B years ago we had to move our own stuff for one of the legs as well.  I used to post that and everyone kept telling me that it was up to the stewards to move it so I just gave up posting that experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When we have had to move to a different cabin, I also went and met the new cabin attendant. He was actually glad that I introduced myself as it gave him a chance to ask us questions. He asked did we want ice, when our dining time was and how we wanted our beds. He was able to have our beds separated before we arrived. Let me say he was a very good cabin attendant.

Also if we have to relocate to a different cabin, I put several hanging items in bags together so they don't accidentally slide off hangers onto the hall floors while being moved. 

As everyone else has commented, it is usually pretty easy when you move cabins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other random info: (pre-covid)

* Depending on the number of B2B's, you may have a meeting before the end of the first cruise.

* We've had our new seapass cards delivered to our cabin the night before disembarkation or handed to us the last day.  You will need your old seapass card to "clock out" before you can use your new seapass card

* When we decided to leave the ship for a day in town, we were given an "In-Transit" card along with our new seapass cards.  The In-Transit card will allow you to skip all lines (except the security line of course) when you come back onboard.

* Again, depending on the ship and number of B2B pax, a special lunch will be provided.  It could be in the MDR with a nice menu...sometime with free wine...or at a specialty restaurant.  Note: If you spend the whole day in town, you will of course miss this lunch or not even know about it.

* If you stay onboard the ship, you will have access to your cabin.  We usually tell our cabin steward not to bother cleaning our cabin...one less for him or her to worry about.

* If you stay onboard, it is quite nice to have the ship to yourselves...at least for about an hour until new passengers start walking in.

 

If you are moving cabins...

* Don't forget to clear your safe.

* Tell you cabin steward and your new cabin steward that you are moving...makes it easier for them and if you have any special request, they will do their best to do it for you.

* If you have the new luggage tags for the new cabin...I would use it just in case.

Lastly, you will have to attend the muster drill again...and again...no matter how many consecutive sailings you have.

Note: This may all be moot when sailing resumes after the pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

 


This is the standard response and advice on these boards, however I would caution that the last time I did this I lost two items of clothing that were on one hanger and never reappeared.

 

Now we only book the same cabin or make sure hanging items are enclosed in an opaque garment cover with luggage tag showing new cabin.

You must’ve had some bad luck. I’ve taken at least 15 back to back cruises where I’ve had to switch cabins, and nothing has ever disappeared. If a piece of clothing tends to slip off the hanger, I fold that and put it into the suitcase.
 

Looks like you are  cautious now and have a new system.  
 

love B2B  I am anxious to see the new procedures for back to back once Cruising resumes

 

m

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, twangster said:

 

Like many things Royal be careful stating absolutes.  

 

On Oasis in December a Pinnacle in the consecutive cruiser group was required to move his own stuff.  The guests in his next cabin were slow to depart and he had to wait until they were out of the cabin before he could move his things causing him to arrive to the consecutive cruiser meeting late.  He was not impressed.  

 

I moved cabins for the first of my B3B and didn't have to move my own stuff but I also met my new cabin attendant the night before and introduced myself.  

 

Same ship, same date, different experience.  

Several times my cabin steward disappeared when it came time to move my stuff. So I moved it. Maybe tip when you ask, I was going to tip him that day. I'm sure they are really busy on turnover day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DLKC said:

Hi - When you do back-to-back and you have the same cabin for both cruises, do you have to clear out everything and unload on disembarking/embarking day, or just leave the ship yourself and reboard?

Thanks --

This is something that we always try and do (having the same cabin on both legs of the B2B).  When we do so, we leave everything in the cabin alone, then disembark, get new paperwork including new sea pass cards then get back on.  The ship is yours (along with the other B2B passengers for a couple of hours) until regular boarding starts.  

 

Good luck!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...