Royal Downgraded Food 2008 - 2020

4 hours ago, mkmaj said:

Okay, I have an actual RC food question...  (Assuming that I ever get to go and things remain as they have in the past) We have a JS and should be able to get CK for dinners. Should I try to reserve there for the entire week when we board or is it worth trying the MDR and Solarium? I ruled out getting a dining package because I'd like to experience the included options first, but we might pick one to try.

On NCL we've done both specialty and complementary and while the specialty restaurants are nice I could live without them if they weren't included.

When we were in a JS and did not have full privileges, we were only permitted to make a reservation for one day at a time.   A few times  they were able to let us know as we left from  dinner.     We were flexible with our dining time and  were accommodated the days we wanted to dine there.    There are a few menus we like in the MDR, so we go there once or twice, and on some ships, we like  the  Solarium Cafe for DINNER and will for there once.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mkmaj said:

Thank you!  I've been following that thread too. It's what made me think of asking here because I'm asking about food quality rather than availability. 

We'll be on Anthem which seems to have been good as far as JS getting in. Pre-Covid, of course. I know all bets are off now!

You should have a much easier time getting a dinner reservation in CK on Anthem than you would on an Oasis class ship.  We have stayed in a JS on Anthem multiple times and have always been able to book for the week on the first day of the cruise.  Just go to CK after boarding and book for the week.  We only had one night that we had to book significantly later than we wanted but otherwise, got the time we wanted or within a 1/2 hour of the time we wanted.  

We have been assigned the same waiter each night on Anthem, unlike on Oasis class ships.  Seems to work better as they learn you likes and dislikes and you don't have to explain things every night.  We just like the overall experience better as you don't have to deal with the noise of the SL as you do on Oasis class.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ATG said:

We did the British Isles cruise a few years ago and loved it.  But, we weren’t in England at tea time.  Dover was our last port and we had to leave too early for afternoon tea.  Late morning we stopped in a small tea shop.  I explained to the nice lady at the counter we were visiting and could she suggest something.  We ended up with tea and some scones.  They were delicious and we had a great talk with her.  I look forward to a land trip to the UK someday (during soccer season if possible).

Thanks for all the kind comments( Including all posters here!) about my explanation of afternoon vs. high tea.  I know many people are confused about the two terms.  I think it is always a good thing when  we know the "truth" even if it is a very small truth.  LOL!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That was called a Cream Tea.

I have not heard that term before.  The British do so love their tea!  Good for them.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, the CK is a very nice option. In my opinion the food is on par with the MDR, but is served hotter.  The menu doesn’t change very much.  So, you may want to eat other places just because of that.  I enjoy the CK experience, but I would never want to eat all of my meals there.

This is exactly what our family thinks about the CK. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our favorite place to eat dinner on Ovation was Solarium Bistro. We were in a JS, but never tried to get into  CK. Our next two cruises won't have either...hmmm... trying to pick a good specialty option for our family on Indy, that could make both my steak loving DH and vegetarian DD happy. Any good suggestions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

Our favorite place to eat dinner on Ovation was Solarium Bistro. We were in a JS, but never tried to get into  CK. Our next two cruises won't have either...hmmm... trying to pick a good specialty option for our family on Indy, that could make both my steak loving DH and vegetarian DD happy. Any good suggestions?

I love the Solarium Bistro - it's such a relaxing place to dine.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, mek said:

I love the Solarium Bistro - it's such a relaxing place to dine.

Yes! And our party of 7, including three teens, was able to find things to eat that made everyone happy! I think we had dinner there three nights on a 7 night cruise.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Seriously?? I wondered if it was a joke, but my kid was right!! Thanks for NOT adding this onto the ship!

I believe this dish is called “hard boiled eggs” on select Carnival sailings.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, SkaterJasp said:

I believe this dish is called “hard boiled eggs” on select Carnival sailings.

You’re the second person that has shared that - Carnival puts gross stuff on their China sailings! I’ll have to give them the big PASS! Seriously these cruise lines are circling the drain!!

On 1/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, livingonthebeach said:

MEANIES?  Haven't heard that kiddy word used since the 3rd grade. Glad lumberjack is helping you with your plan -- seems you need lots of help in many areas. 

That is my hope! Plus I have notes everywhere without a planner because I just have to write things down!

On 1/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

People stick with a product because they like that product.  When they no longer like that product they move on, they don’t become delusional and think that they are going to change a billion $ corporation into something that suits them. 

Do not tempt me with another challenge! If I can get 100 or 1,000 behind me then VOILA! And yes I understand that won't include the regulars but check out reviews because of course there are plenty reading afraid to speak up!

1 hour ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I'm not sure what they did before covid but maybe you already know or somebody from Australia! Carnival Spirit maybe or Costa, we'll find out soon!!

Carnival Spirit was announced to sail in China back in 2016 but Carnival reversed that decision that same year so Carnival Spirit, nor any Carnival ships ever sailed China. 

Cruise lines thats owned by Carnival Corp such as Costa, Princess, and Cunard did sail to and continue to sail to China... but we’re not talking about those cruise lines.. just like how when we talk about Royal Caribbean’s menu we are not talking about Celebrity any other cruise lines Royal Caribbean owns. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2021 at 10:38 PM, xpcdoojk said:

O, and who reads those totally redundant things these days?  I used to feel the guy in the twilight zone who just wanted to read all the books in the library, when the world ended and he was in hog heaven until he broke his glasses.  The entire world is broken glasses these days.

I liked the one where the blind rich lady bought someones eyeballs for 12 hours of sight, then one of the NYC blackouts hit and she couldn't see anyway

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I liked the one where the blind rich lady bought someones eyeballs for 12 hours of sight, then one of the NYC blackouts hit and she couldn't see anyway

One of my favorite T Z episodes is the "Misfortune Cookie", about a food critic who found it sport to destroy restaurants. In the end, the fortune in his last fortune cookie determined his fate.  Very à propos for a food thread...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

If I’m in a grand suite on Odyssey, should I make reservations the first day?  Or, do regular suites not need to worry about that?

The concierge should contact you 5-7 days pre cruise. Make them then

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

If I’m in a grand suite on Odyssey, should I make reservations the first day?  Or, do regular suites not need to worry about that?

You should make reservations for CK with Concierge as soon as you get your letter. Waiting till onboard may be too late. 

Currently, you may compete with B2B Pinnacles for dining times. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You should make reservations for CK with Concierge as soon as you get your letter. Waiting till onboard may be too late. 

Currently, you may compete with B2B Pinnacles for dining times. 

We are in an OS on Harmony.  My brother & nephew are in a JS.  Is it possible that the concierge would include them in our CK dinner reservations?  So 6 instead of 4?  They are eligible to have dinner in the CK.  But we get to make reservations earlier.  Is this a “can’t hurt to ask” situation?

45 minutes ago, poocher said:

We are in an OS on Harmony.  My brother & nephew are in a JS.  Is it possible that the concierge would include them in our CK dinner reservations?  So 6 instead of 4?  They are eligible to have dinner in the CK.  But we get to make reservations earlier.  Is this a “can’t hurt to ask” situation?

You can always try. The previous “rules” didn’t permit JS to make prior reservations. JS were allowed to make reservations once onboard, providing space available. Depends on the cruise and time of year. 

While Suites are pretty close to a fixed number, the number of Pinnacles changes. 

Who knows what it will be like when ships begin sailing again. 

M8