CDC Issues Blistering New Attack on Cruise Industry

18 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

This could have stopped it in 2 months, but it would have required a massive military state and shutting down all forms of transportation. Everyone hunker down in their home, if you are out of food, MREs dropped off. But, we are not a country willing to do that and it has nothing to do with who is running the House, Congress, or WH. The People would have never accepted it.

And nor should they ever accept it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We decided months ago that we would have 2 vaccines in us before we cruised again.  Our cruises in March/April 2021 were cancelled by Princess, and our first upcoming cruise is in May 2021 now.  I will see what the CDC has to say after this upcoming flu season.  However, I am pleased with the precautions the cruise lines are taking.  We also wear masks any time we are around other people, and will continue to do so when we cruise.

I also agree that this CDC notice isn't "blistering" :  it's their standard language for advisories.

2 hours ago, karl_nj said:

The CDC also doesn't want anyone to go to Mexico:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-mexico

But US Airlines will fly you there, and US based hotel chains will rent you a hotel room.

And I cancelled a planned trip to Cancun in February because of this warning. Most Americans trust and listen to their government.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

This could have stopped it in 2 months, but it would have required a massive military state and shutting down all forms of transportation. Everyone hunker down in their home, if you are out of food, MREs dropped off. But, we are not a country willing to do that and it has nothing to do with who is running the House, Congress, or WH. The People would have never accepted it.

I disagree. We currently do not know if there is any latency to the virus, so even if everyone had hunkered down for 2-months, the virus could still be around. Sadly, this virus is like many others, it is here to stay. Vaccines are a good start, but many only have a 40-50% efficacy rate. Herd immunity will help, the more people build up an immunity, the less the virus will speared and the less the symptoms will be. Will (does) this virus mutate like other viruses (influenza or the common cold)? Possibly.....in which case a vaccine will be needed every year. There are many question and answers are slow in coming. Alas, there is no "silver bullet" and we must all choose our own level of comfort.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/disneyland-not-moving-to-texas-tm1/

Debunking the Disneyland is moving to Texas or elsewhere rumor..

Thank goodness.  We have enough inflow right now causing prices and congestion  to increase. We aren’t cheap anymore so you all can stay put or go to Tennessee 😃

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It wasn’t a compromise, they were overruled by the WH. I think everyone will have a very good idea when cruising will resume after the election results next week. Cruises will either start in the near future or most likely not until 2022, depending on who wins the election.  Not trying to make a political statement, just stating the obvious. 

Wow!  2022 is very pessimistic!!

What's new here?  This was posted in March and last reviewed (not updated--"reviewed") a few days ago.  Presumably the review process is fairly routine just to make sure stuff hasn't gone out of date.  It doesn't seem like there's anything here that should be surprising given how the CDC views the cruise industry.

• Like 4

I worked at Walt Disney World Resort for 12 years and at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale for a few years before that. I can assure everyone that Disney will not be moving their parks to another state, ever. The last time they considered opening a theme park in Virginia was the last time they will ever consider doing that again. There's a reason no new Disney parks have been built in the U.S. recently and that reason is that it costs far too much. The company was not run by MBAs when Disneyland and Walt Disney World were originally built. The days of writing blank checks to Imagineering to design new parks ended over 20 years ago during the Michael Eisner era.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was reading that Dr faucci wrote a paper about how many people died during the spanish flu, from bacterial in the masks they wore. Well one more thing to worry about.

Here is a link to the 2008 paper published by Dr. Fauci:  https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/198/7/962/2192118?fbclid=IwAR1iuzLdKkJOoFw-O8ZEoSNwOVKd2uh4Q4Zk4LOk8xvvrxBScuvBY5WLvQg

The paper does not reference masks or assert that mask wearing led to an increase in bacterial pneumonia during the pandemic. This claim has been fact checked and debunked by Politifact, Reuters and CheckYourFact.com, among others (links below). 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/oct/21/facebook-posts/dr-anthony-fauci-didnt-blame-masks-1918-19-flu-dea/

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-fauci-mask-pneumonia-1918/fact-check-fauci-study-did-not-attribute-1918-spanish-flu-deaths-to-bacterial-pneumonia-caused-by-masks-idUSKBN277200

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/10/22/fact-check-anthony-fauci-spanish-flu-deaths-face-masks-study/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure social media had a axe to grind.

I'm still thinking about the above and how we should trust the govt?

Heck according to the above poster what dr. Faucci said is wrong that was on a unmetionable site. 

Why would I trust the govt ... and I mean either side. 

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Cruises will either start in the near future or most likely not until 2022, depending on who wins the election.  Not trying to make a political statement, just stating the obvious. 

Can you provide some basis for your assertion? What facts makes it "obvious"?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Can you provide some basis for your assertion? What facts makes it "obvious"?

Most states with a republican governor are   
open to various degrees while most states with a democrat governor still have lots of restrictions and closures. I am not saying one way is better than the other, because I don’t know enough about this virus to know which approach is best, but I do know the two main parties in this country have drastically different approaches ito how they are responding to this virus. There is no doubt the CDC will continue to extend the no sail order, like they have already tried to do, if there is no resistance from the WH. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, yogimax said:

Cruise lines will certainly be more hesitant to resume sailings.

Italy has 4x the daily positive cases as during the worst times in March, and yet, new ships are resuming cruising.

Biker, who is bored this morning and likes to stir the pot.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, bigrednole said:

The CDC made it clear at the beginning of the month that they want cruises halted until mid-February. As a compromise, they agreed to continue the month-to-month delays. 2-3 weeks they will delay until Dec 15...the don't want to impact those XMas and NYE cruises yet. If they have to delay for 2020 a few week later, it will be until Feb 15th then. 

Protocols need to be in place when cruising does restart. Testing is not the full answer. I didn't know until recently that someone with covid will test positive for 3-6 months after. That will need to be managed between the DHHS database and test facilities. The same will happen for anyone that is on a vaccine trial or received a vaccine (if available). 

What an absolute nightmare to allow Christmas cruises to be booked and then cancelled. In spite of everything, there is no question that pent up demand will encourage increased holiday / high season reservations.  I guess maybe it gets people on planes and maybe some of them decide to go ahead and spend their cancelled cruise week on vacation in the port city.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

What an absolute nightmare to allow Christmas cruises to be booked and then cancelled. In spite of everything, there is no question that pent up demand will encourage increased holiday / high season reservations.  I guess maybe it gets people on planes and maybe some of them decide to go ahead and spend their cancelled cruise week on vacation in the port city.

Just because sailings are still available to book does not mean people are booking them.  I’m on a a Christmas sailing and yes I made final Payment but it was only so I could get a refund and I do not expect it to sail.

whenever I check there seems to be more and more cabins available so people are still cancelling and taking the FCC.  

22 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

You really think so? I just cancelled January as there would not be enough time to get feedback from people on the cruise experience. I don't know why people would want to risk Christmas, and their money, on a questionable experience that may not even happen.

Personally, with case numbers climbing I don't see much hope of first we quarter 2021 cruises happening.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You really think so? I just cancelled January as there would not be enough time to get feedback from people on the cruise experience. I don't know why people would want to risk Christmas, and their money, on a questionable experience that may not even happen.

Personally, with case numbers climbing I don't see much hope of first we quarter 2021 cruises happening.

I'm starting to get concerned about our May 2021 cruise😇

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

If people are booking a new Christmas cruise today they have to know there is a great chance of not going or having serious restrictions.  If someone booked a Christmas cruise a year ago, and is a seasoned cruises or has been following cruising the last 7 months they know the risks. 

They only person who should be surprised if it was cancelled is the first time cruiser who has no clue to what COVID has done to the industry over the last 7.5 months.  If they booked through a TA, one would like to have warned them of the risk that it might not go as well. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am not all that optimistic for my April cruise.

I am cancelling March before final in December. Goodbye RLS.  If cruises were going by December I might have considered it after seeing cruise feedback, but at this rate there is no chance of that. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I am cancelling March before final in December. Goodbye RLS.  If cruises were going by December I might have considered it after seeing cruise feedback, but at this rate there is no chance of that. 🤷‍♂️

I’ll end up making final on ours but only because I will be using a FCC pay the remaining balance.  This way the FCC that I receive for the deposit will be rolled into my existing FCC making it easier to use.  Not holding my breath on this one sailing either. 

12 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Ha.  Ha.  Ha.   Was never going to happen and wouldn't have stopped anything anyway.  The virus would have still been there waiting to move on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Well, anyone foolish enough to book a cruise for Christmas or this winter may as well book hotel reservations now.  90-100% of those cruises aren't sailing.

• Like 2