Jump to content

Panama Canal on Insignia


Recommended Posts

We are considering a Panama Canal cruise on Insignia in December 2021. We previously cruise with Oceania on the Marina, and had a concierge level stateroom which we enjoyed. The Insignia does not have a concierge lounge, but if we chose a concierge stateroom we would get unlimited access to the Spa Terrace.

 

Given that this would be a “warm weather” cruise with quite a few sea days, would it be worth it to have access to the Spa Terrace. I like to lounge in the sun, my husband prefers shade.

 

On a Princess cruise we enjoyed time in the Sanctuary on sea days (even shade-loving husband enjoyed it).

 

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed on Insignia just before the shutdown in a PH.  We really enjoyed the quiet and privacy of the Spa Terrace although we did miss having a concierge lounge.   We were on a warm weather cruise to the Caribbean and the lounge chairs at the main pool were frequently filled, so having the option was good.  I think you can also get a hot breakfast in a concierge cabin.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy Insignia whatever you decide.  The ship looked beautiful - the service was excellent and the food was great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The concierge lounge is a plus but not all use it .... some folks just get coffee, etc. there and bring it back to their stateroom. The spa terrace is enjoyable. We like the Insignia and would love to sail on it again. Whatever your choice is, I am sure you will enjoy the cruise.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, halfapair said:

We are considering a Panama Canal cruise on Insignia in December 2021. We previously cruise with Oceania on the Marina, and had a concierge level stateroom which we enjoyed. The Insignia does not have a concierge lounge, but if we chose a concierge stateroom we would get unlimited access to the Spa Terrace.

 

Given that this would be a “warm weather” cruise with quite a few sea days, would it be worth it to have access to the Spa Terrace. I like to lounge in the sun, my husband prefers shade.

 

On a Princess cruise we enjoyed time in the Sanctuary on sea days (even shade-loving husband enjoyed it).

 

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

We have gone through the Panama Canal on both Insignia and Marina. In both cases we had concierge staterooms and we never used the spa terrace on either except for  momentary visits to see what they were like. We didn't care to be out there in the very hot and humid weather you encounter on a Panama Canal cruise. Personally, I wouldn't book a concierge cabin on an R ship like Insignia again. Without the lounge they really don't have anything much to offer that I would pay extra for.

Edited by njhorseman
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roccaforte said:

We sailed on Insignia just before the shutdown in a PH.  We really enjoyed the quiet and privacy of the Spa Terrace although we did miss having a concierge lounge.   We were on a warm weather cruise to the Caribbean and the lounge chairs at the main pool were frequently filled, so having the option was good.  I think you can also get a hot breakfast in a concierge cabin.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy Insignia whatever you decide.  The ship looked beautiful - the service was excellent and the food was great.

Yes, I am thinking the Spa Terrace would be a good place to have access to since the cruise has 7 sea days, and I love sitting in the warm sun. The hot breakfast option is great, especially when you have an early excursion to get to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The spa terrace on the R ships is very small compared to Marina  but it does have a small shaded area

it is  a personal choice

spa deck ..small covered area

One lounger in the sun, and one in the shade is how we roll. Everyone is happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 As you see from the photo there are very few loungers on the spa terrace. There are another four the other side of the bubble pool.  However,  we were always able to enjoy a lounger as very few passengers used it.  We did wonder if people even knew about it.. It was wonderfully quiet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Sea Days, I regularly enjoy the Spa Terrace on both models of ships. I enjoy rotating between the sauna(s) and either the hot tubs or hydrotherapy pools, with relaxing intervals on a lounger. Nothing unusual to do three complete rotations.
 

The peace and solitude of the Spa Terrace is great! The view from there is very good also!

Edited by pinotlover
Link to post
Share on other sites

On a Panama Canal trip I could see the Spa Terrace being a plus, it should have a good view with very few other people out there. Bear in mind that in the times I've experienced it there is no service out there, so you will need to bring your own refreshment with you. It is accessed through the gym spa area, so if you only need water or something like that those are usually available in the gym. 

 

If I were to book a Concierge room on an R ship it would be one of the aft ones to get an extended balcony. I've had those on a couple of trips and could see how it would be great for the PC transit. 

 

We're all different but I'm not impressed by the Concierge lounge on the O ships as much of a benefit. Everything is available elsewhere on the ship, you really aren't missing anything other than a little convenience and an extra perk. It would be the least of the Concierge perks that I would tend to pay extra for. 

Edited by ORV
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ORV said:

On a Panama Canal trip I could see the Spa Terrace being a plus, it should have a good view with very few other people out there. Bear in mind that in the times I've experienced it there is no service out there, so you will need to bring your own refreshment with you. It is accessed through the gym spa area, so if you only need water or something like that those are usually available in the gym. 

 

 

 I would also be concerned  about  the number of cabins that have free access  to the Spa terrace especially during the canal

We did it  when they still had the cabanas  on deck 11 ..people were entering people's rented cabana to get  a better view

 

Horizons  most of the day looked like this

DSC02254

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...