CDC wants U.S. travelers not to cruise - not surprising

pe4all

Leaving for now but if turns into a political, death stats.debate thread it will poof. We have so many that have turned....it's like leaves changing color....inevitable

Edited by Host Carolyn
Clarify, see Tuesday post
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Because someone is more likely to catch the virus on a cruise ship, where they can socially distance from other people, than on a plane where they can’t?  Riiiiiiight. 

It's true, believe it or not!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Um, it’s not true. You can’t stay 6 feet away from other people on a plane. And airlines are not testing everyone immediately before boarding. If you are not hearing about outbreaks on planes it’s only because by the time people get diagnosed, they have been in public in so many places that it’s impossible to ascertain exactly when or where they got infected. But I guarantee it is definitely happening. If cruise ships can’t sail than all planes should have been grounded for this whole time as well.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It's because cdc has no control over flying or theme parks, so they concentrate on cruises ..because it's the only thing they can shut down.

The fact they only concentrate on cruises, I just tune them out. Great Barrington something or other says country has no willingness to lock down like last march, we need to learn to live with this.

Put whatever in place and let folks cruise. Still think it's unfair only cruises shut down. Might not be me on the next ship out at my age, but some younger families it might be ok for. Today feels like a lot of fear in the air today. 

OP btw the warning didnt just come out today, I saw it I think 2 days ago. 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Um, it’s not true. You can’t stay 6 feet away from other people on a plane. And airlines are not testing everyone immediately before boarding. If you are not hearing about outbreaks on planes it’s only because by the time people get diagnosed, they have been in public in so many places that it’s impossible to ascertain exactly when or where they got infected. But I guarantee it is definitely happening. If cruise ships can’t sail than all planes should have been grounded for this whole time as well.

Many airlines are requiring masks to be worn at all times.  Some guy on Delta (IIRC) last week got kicked off for removing mask to eat. The air filters in  airplanes are HEPA.  Planes use a mixture of 50/50 fresh and recycled air with the recycled air running through the filters. The woman on the plane who died from the virus recently did not inflect anyone else.

I've yet to hear of a flight where even 1 passenger comes down with NORO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

I don't think your guarantee is worth much.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-idUSKBN2702S7

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Many airlines are requiring masks to be worn at all times.  Some guy on Delta (IIRC) last week got kicked off for removing mask to eat. The air filters in  airplanes are HEPA.  Planes use a mixture of 50/50 fresh and recycled air with the recycled air running through the filters. The woman on the plane who died from the virus recently did not inflect anyone else.

I've yet to hear of a flight where even 1 passenger comes down with NORO.

Airlines have banned hundreds for mask violations.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-09-04/airline-ban-for-not-wearing-masks

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's because cdc has no control over flying or theme parks, so they concentrate on cruises ..because it's the only thing they can shut down.

The fact they only concentrate on cruises, I just tune them out. Great Barrington something or other says country has no willingness to lock down like last march, we need to learn to live with this.

Put whatever in place and let folks cruise. Still think it's unfair only cruises shut down. Might not be me on the next ship out at my age, but some younger families it might be ok for. Today feels like a lot of fear in the air today. 

OP btw the warning didnt just come out today, I saw it I think 2 days ago. 

????  Come to NYC.   B'way & the whole theatre district are ghost towns (whatever you think of Trump...he is correct....NYC is a ghost town).  I was in that area today...a drizzly day...and I had lunch "inside".  It was me and one other patron @ 1:30 pm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think your guarantee is worth much.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-idUSKBN2702S7

Btw the study was done with every dummy wearing a N95 mask. Idk its true in real life everyone on the plane has a n95 mask. Imo that makes that study flawed. Not real life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

????  Come to NYC.   B'way & the whole theatre district are ghost towns (whatever you think of Trump...he is correct....NYC is a ghost town).  I was in that area today...a drizzly day...and I had lunch "inside".  It was me and one other patron @ 1:30 pm.

I havent found a place here I can eat inside, though I'm sure there must be a ihop or something open, just not right around me. Fast food like taco bell you can walk into but not eat here. 

Far as I'm concerned I'm still locked down. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Btw the study was done with every dummy wearing a N95 mask. Idk its true in real life everyone on the plane has a n95 mask. Imo that makes that study flawed. Not real life.

OTOH, I've never heard of a confirmed case of covid transmission on a plane. IMO, that means it never happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Not even sure why you would mention trump, but NYC is probably a better place now.

• Like 1

cpl things.  First of all, yes the airlines filters are better.  But cruise lines are installing hepa filters/ fresh air  circulation ( this is new to cruising) Secondly, I don't care how many HEPA filters a plane has, If I'm sitting 6 inches from someone on a plane for 2 or more hours, I'm going to get whatever they have-mask or no mask (if they even keep them on/wear them correctly). 

The new protocol on ships does allow for testing prior to and during the cruise as well as daily temp checks ( whether or not you believe this effective, it IS a screening tool).  Plus I have the option of leaving an area of the ship if I don't like the crowds.  No choice on a plane.  

People come down with NORO because they don't wash their hands.  This is not airborne like Covid.

The CDC recommendation "The CDC said reports of COVID-19 on cruises highlight the risk of infections to cruise passengers and crew, although it did not elaborate on these reports."  There hasn't been any cruising since MArch.  Does that mean these reports are 7-8 months old?  Prior to all we have learned in regards to masks/social distancing/medications/risk factors?  I think it is rather unfair to site  those "reports". 

I agree cruising has been unfairly singled out ( and probably because they had no control over other venues).  I also think, given what has been learned and the treatments that are in place ( with vaccine soon to be in use too) that people should be allowed to choose.  

Just my 2 cents.

baf   

Edited by bafinegan
spelling
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I havent found a place here I can eat inside, though I'm sure there must be a ihop or something open, just not right around me. Fast food like taco bell you can walk into but not eat here. 

Far as I'm concerned I'm still locked down. 

I'm considering myself locked down until I can cruise again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Valid point.  Real life doesn't always go well.  This article deals with spread on a mostly empty flight.  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/transmission-of-covid-19-on-flight-into-ireland-linked-to-59-infections-1.4390728