Grand Celebration on the move

1 hour ago, pinkie60 said:

I doubt they are will be sailing anytime soon. They are practically bankrupt 

Where did you get your practically bankrupt information from? Or are you just assuming?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Where did you get your practically bankrupt information from? Or are you just assuming?

With virtually no income in 2020, two ships to bunker, other administration costs -  50% of the fleet sold off to make razor blades - and the fact that the website is a one-page affair asking folks to wait for future announcements - I would suggest that this enterprise is running on fumes. Do correct me if you have inside knowledge. I would love to learn who is bankrolling it.

Edited by mainelycruising
13 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

With virtually no income in 2020, two ships to bunker, other administration costs -  50% of the fleet sold off to make razor blades - and the fact that the website is a one-page affair asking folks to wait for future announcements - I would suggest that this enterprise is running on fumes. Do correct me if you have inside knowledge. I would love to learn who is bankrolling it.

Thank you mainelycruising for your answer, I couldn’t have said it better. I might add they owe a ton of money to the Port of Palm Beach. 

On 1/3/2021 at 6:58 PM, mainelycruising said:

The family that owns the cruise line is super wealthy. Billionaires. 

17 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I’m sure even though this “family “ owns billions they can see that cruising at this time is a poor investment and will divest themselves of this cruise line. I believe they eventually they will re-organize under another name at a future date when cruising becomes more profitable again. 

8 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

I’m sure even though this “family “ owns billions they can see that cruising at this time is a poor investment and will divest themselves of this cruise line. I believe they eventually they will re-organize under another name at a future date when cruising becomes more profitable again. 

Bet they can use the tax right offs. If they were doing a positive cash flow before. They can do it again.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The they must be looking for a large loss to offset the gains in their wealth.  Selling one ship for pennies on the dollar is one way to create a capital gains offset.

12 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Bet they can use the tax right offs. If they were doing a positive cash flow before. They can do it again.

Just my thought. But how cynical to view a cruise line that holds passengers' money as a means to offset their taxes.

3 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

The they must be looking for a large loss to offset the gains in their wealth.  Selling one ship for pennies on the dollar is one way to create a capital gains offset.

After years of depreciation, they probably had no corporate equity left in that ship.  They will be able to replace it with a much newer ship [not new, but there have been dozens if not hundreds built since it was] that some cruise line is ready to sell at a fair price – and then they can get a new round of depreciation on their 'new' asset.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, pinkie60 said:

I’m sure even though this “family “ owns billions they can see that cruising at this time is a poor investment 

Depending upon how "deep" their pockets are, and knowing, I am sure, of the gamble that Ted Arison took when he started Carnival Cruise Lines and how that turned out, the allure of a major payout for such an investment is probably better than buying a Powerball ticket.  

For this particular cruise line, all of our crystal balls are very foggy with predictions of heavy rain in the near future, I think.  

1 hour ago, mainelycruising said:

Here is a video with photos of both ships:

Thanks for posting the video.  The music is a bit inappropriate, I think.  A funeral dirge would be more suitable.  

On 1/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for posting the video.  The music is a bit inappropriate, I think.  A funeral dirge would be more suitable.  

Had many good times on the old girl, spent many evenings in the Commodore Lounge!!

Edited by rikitikitavii

Is this a surprise? Cruise Critic posted this a while back in the "what's being scrapped" article.

"Bahamas Paradise confirmed to Cruise Critic that Grand Celebration had been sold. As of November 24, the ship is en-route to Bhavnagar, India, where it will arrive in early January for demolition."

After spending many winters in the Bahamas on our own boat, and taking many cruises since selling it 4 years ago, I'm not surprised at all that this venture didn't survive the pandemic. I would have been surprised if it survived without the pandemic.

24 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Is this a surprise? Cruise Critic posted this a while back in the "what's being scrapped" article.

"Bahamas Paradise confirmed to Cruise Critic that Grand Celebration had been sold. As of November 24, the ship is en-route to Bhavnagar, India, where it will arrive in early January for demolition."

After spending many winters in the Bahamas on our own boat, and taking many cruises since selling it 4 years ago, I'm not surprised at all that this venture didn't survive the pandemic. I would have been surprised if it survived without the pandemic.

You obviously have never sailed on the old girl. There are many of us here that have fond memories of this ship and we will miss not being able to take a short quick cruise from Palm Beach County to the Bahamas. Not to mention what a lifeline this ship was to Grand Bahamas Island. It’s a sad time for me. My sister passed away in March 2020 from cancer and this was our favorite time together. So regardless of what you think about the cruise line in general this was not a surprise but still a great loss to us.

19 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

So regardless of what you think about the cruise line in general this was not a surprise but still a great loss to us.

😢

2 hours ago, rikitikitavii said:

Had many good times on the old girl, spent many evenings in the Commodore Lounge!!

😢

There develops an emotional, sentimental attachment to some of these ships for some of us that others don't share.  Or, even understand.  If they care to try to do.  

I mourn for Rotterdam V.  Still.  At least, I have been able to visit her in Rotterdam and it is not likely that she will be turned into razor blades during my lifetime.  

5 hours ago, keeponcruising said:

So sad to see the ship go.  I hope Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line survives.

I agree.  While I have not sailed on BPCL, there was an opportunity to do so last Winter.  I regret I did not do so.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

Latest video.  

While I appreciate you posting this video, it is a sad reminder that we are all just one more day closer to our demise just as Grand Celebration has experienced.  

We all need to savor each day for we know not what tomorrow will bring.