Nothing until March?

bouhunter

31 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Of course, and there are about 25,000 at the Cowboys games next door each week.  I haven't heard of any one having a positive test and tracing back to these locations (I live here and it would be all over the news if they were able to track someone back to one of these gatherings, lots of politics between state government and local leaders on this particular subject)

In addition the bars and restaurants are open in most counties in this area as well

This makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Can't wait for New Year's Eve in Times Square

That's already been canceled along with the Thanksgiving Day parade. Honestly no self respecting New Yorker worth their weight in salt would even attempt NYE in Times Square.  Most of the tourists would have to arrive two weeks ahead of time to quarantine. It will be very interesting to see NYC during the Holiday.  I guess Saks Fifth Avenue is the only retailer left who could still do their animated holiday windows.

This is the fate of Lord and Taylor who always had the best windows in my opinion.

808525344_Mo6VdV9JROOl5lzB6QZeQ.thumb.jpg.3cbb1028b7a55038e0d3f85bbe0c16ca.jpg

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I were invited to a wedding in Cedarhurst this past August.Invitees were given the choice of coming to the party or watching on Zoom.We opted to watch from our living room.There were 150 people at the catering all,nearly everyone we could see was not wearing a mask nor were they socially distancing.

My son was married last Friday. 50 people was the max and the room held 200 people so there was plenty of room to spread out. My son and daughter in law made masks with their names and the date on them so everyone had on a mask during the ceremony and when walking around. We also had a zoom recording.  This was a last minute event that was planned in a months time. My daughter in law lost her medical insurance so they lifted and shifted from October 2022 to October this year.  All in all it was still a good time and now they have something to tell the future generation. They had an historical wedding event and saved a lot of money in the process.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Unfortunately, no one is "going about their normal lives".

That's a matter of personal interpretation i suppose.  Here, with a few exceptions (movie theaters, reduced occupancy at stadiums, no big concerts, wearing a mask when asked) we are indeed living a fairly normal life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Since you dont even appear to know who is playing idk? I've heard of some dallas players getting fined, but houston also has professional teams. Dallas has a mask mandate for those on the sidelines and has levied fines. Idk about houston, and you keep saying texas without naming tems so who knows? As if texas only has one team...

I'm guessing Cowboys. Long Island has a large Cowboys following. We don't even acknowledge the Buffalo Bills as a New York team and yet the Jets and Giants play in NJ. 

39 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's already been canceled along with the Thanksgiving Day parade. Honestly no self respecting New Yorker worth their weight in salt would even attempt NYE in Times Square.  Most of the tourists would have to arrive two weeks ahead of time to quarantine. It will be very interesting to see NYC during the Holiday.  I guess Saks Fifth Avenue is the only retailer left who could still do their animated holiday windows.

This is the fate of Lord and Taylor who always had the best windows in my opinion.

Pre COVID we had talked about possible going up for NYE.  Taking the train and staying at the Marriott Marquis.  No desire to mingle with 500,00 or more but always wanted to look at the windows at the Marriott and watch the ball drop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Pre COVID we had talked about possible going up for NYE.  Taking the train and staying at the Marriott Marquis.  No desire to mingle with 500,00 or more but always wanted to look at the windows at the Marriott and watch the ball drop.

How long are you in Florida? I think you turned into a NY tourist. With that said you don't know what you are missing until it's gone. This pandemic as locked me down in NY due to quarantines. I may get to visit Niagara Falls, and the Statue of Liberty. I have never been to either one. Sailed on the Staten Island Ferry for the first time last year. That may be the closest I get to a cruise. It's free and at least it has a bar. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

How long are you in Florida? I think you turned into a NY tourist. With that said you don't know what you are missing until it's gone. This pandemic as locked me down in NY due to quarantines. I may get to visit Niagara Falls, and the Statue of Liberty. I have never been to either one. Sailed on the Staten Island Ferry for the first time last year. That may be the closest I get to a cruise. It's free and at least it has a bar. 

Moved to Florida in 1982  Never been to Niagara Falls either  Went to the Statue of Liberty on school trips and again when I took a friend from FL to NYC for a trip years ago

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Staying at the Marriott for NYE is not as easy as you might think.  It's booked very quickly and for very, very high prices.  We always stay there when we go to NY, usually on points.   It's not a cheap hotel to begin with, but for NYE, it's really, really high, plus you have to buy a package and pay extra to have a room with windows that look out onto TS.  You can't just stay there and go look out the windows.  The bar/restaurant area is not open to everyone staying there for NYE, not by a long shot and the attendance is limited.  Most of the windows in the hotel also do not overlook TS either.  People spend thousands to do it.  Not worth it.  Having sat in the bar next to the windows I can also tell you, the view is limited to what's right in front of the hotel.  

43 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

In 2007 I organized a school reunion for a Brooklyn school.Most of the people were living in other states and 2 from other countries so they decided stay in NY for several days.I was planning activities and much to my surprise the majority had never been to the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

My son was married last Friday. 50 people was the max and the room held 200 people so there was plenty of room to spread out. My son and daughter in law made masks with their names and the date on them so everyone had on a mask during the ceremony and when walking around. We also had a zoom recording.  This was a last minute event that was planned in a months time. My daughter in law lost her medical insurance so they lifted and shifted from October 2022 to October this year.  All in all it was still a good time and now they have something to tell the future generation. They had an historical wedding event and saved a lot of money in the process.

Congratulation on your sons wedding.May he and his bride have a long and healthy life.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Florida has been fully open now for some time. We are doing fine. We continue to wear our mask indoors and avoid crowds. 

M8

We just got back from a week in Sanibel Island.  Everyone was wearing masks indoors and following safety measures just like here in NE.  Same thing for airports and planes.  Very pleased to see this.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

That's awful.  My condolences.

Yes,unbelievable. My friend was a confirmed bachelor.He was never going to get married then one day he met a woman who changed his life I call her every week and the two of us cannot have a conversation without tearing up.He was the brother I never had .

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

My oldest son and daughter in law had postponed their wedding and reception from May until this past weekend.  They went ahead in May and got married in his living room with 9 total people there.  Her sister was her matron of honor and my youngest son was his brother's best man.  Her parents, my DH and myself, their pastor completed the 9 people attending. At the time the max number of people allowed to gather in No VA was 10.  My youngest son's wife, the matron of honor's husband, and my new DIL's 2 brothers who live in the states couldn't come (oldest brother is an airline pilot in the Philippines).  Her niece and nephew also weren't there, nor were my parents or my DH's mother.  It was live streamed and recorded but not what they originally planned.  So, they rescheduled the vow renewal and reception for Oct 25.  But on the 22nd (last Thur) they decided to cancel because they were more concerned about everyone's safety.  So, they cancelled the event for 75 people (originally 175) and lost all their money.  We had given them about 1/3 of the amount and they came up with almost all the rest because her family doesn't have much, but we don't care that it was "lost". The plan was for mask wearing, even though the venue doesn't require it.  The wedding was going to be outside, but the reception inside.  The venue had bought air filtration systems to use for indoor events.    Supposedly all the food that was purchased for the reception will be donated by the venue.  The problem with wedding venues is once you pay them something, they get to keep it which is why a lot of people go through with it. 

Sorry they couldn't have the wedding or reception they wanted. 

My son should of got married last August. They've delayed till next August. Keeping everything crossed that they will be able to have the wedding they have planned by then. At moment in England we are limited to 15 people 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

We just got back from a week in Sanibel Island.  Everyone was wearing masks indoors and following safety measures just like here in NE.  Same thing for airports and planes.  Very pleased to see this.

Most restaurants ask you to wear a mask until you are seated at your table. We need to be open, business can’t continue to survive. I was in Publix today and everyone I noticed had on a mask. Most people in SAMS have on a mask. 

Our ICU’s are not getting overrun, our hospitals are not full. I remember the doom a gloom from back in May/June. We’ve had personal friends who have tested positive. One with minor complications. These friends are all getting up there in age. My neighbor, his entire family tested positive. He is a Primary Care Physician and likely caught it at office . No symptoms. Him and his family have quarantined and he is now back at work. 

If you are vulnerable, take care of yourself and avoid situations that might get you infected. 

Off my sand box. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Staying at the Marriott for NYE is not as easy as you might think.  It's booked very quickly and for very, very high prices.  We always stay there when we go to NY, usually on points.   It's not a cheap hotel to begin with, but for NYE, it's really, really high, plus you have to buy a package and pay extra to have a room with windows that look out onto TS.  You can't just stay there and go look out the windows.  The bar/restaurant area is not open to everyone staying there for NYE, not by a long shot and the attendance is limited.  Most of the windows in the hotel also do not overlook TS either.  People spend thousands to do it.  Not worth it.  Having sat in the bar next to the windows I can also tell you, the view is limited to what's right in front of the hotel.  

I know all of this. We have stayed there many times

• Like 2