Zuiderdam & Volendam summer 2021 schedules have been removed! Redeployment coming?

AtlantaCruiser72

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I just got an email as well, our Zuiderdam September 23-October 17 voyage is changed to the Volendam.  I'm not very happy with the change, but haven't seen what the itinerary will be, so will reserve judgement for now.  

I’m happy to be on the Volendam for our sailing.  That’s not an issue..  The itinerary change for our transatlantic is.  We lost ports and the sailing is shortened.

At least we didn’t lose our overnight in Madeira but I would far prefer the itinerary we had before to this one that has been posted on our roll call.

I haven’t received an email from HAL.  Thankfully, I have CC friends that alerted me and a great roll call 😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We have a Signature Suite with angled balcony booked on the Zuiderdam (spent awhile choosing that cabin), the Volendam doesn't have Signature Suites....wondering where we'll end up?  

Neptune suite?  I would think they would have to do that.  You could score. 😉 

The Neptune Suites on the Volendam are bigger than on the Zuiderdam with bigger, deeper balconies.  Do let us know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

The Neptune Suites on the Volendam are bigger than on the Zuiderdam with bigger, deeper balconies.  Do let us know.

That works!  😄

I'm anxious to see our itinerary -- 

• Like 1

Yes, indeed. We are booked on the Sept 11 RT Venice 12 day Eastern Med. cruise  on the Zuiderdam and received an email at 6:00 PM from the HAL Pres. Gus Antorcha stating that the Zuiderdam will be deployed to Alaska then Hawaii and Tahiti.  Volendam will be deployed to Europe. 

We are told we will be booked in the same Category (or higher) and our promotions will be protected.

I just did a quick search and see that the Volendam is a smaller ship and I was very particular about booking my cabin in VE class, so now what? Anyone with comments on Volendam in lieu of Zuiderdam, please make my day.

It's a cruise for our 50th anniversary and I'd rather not be disappointed....

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Zuiderdam has 98 Signature Suites and 62 Neptune Suites - 160 in total.

Volendam has 28 Neptune’s in total.

Zuiderdam has 2 Pinnacle Suites, Volendam has 1

Depending on how many suites have already been booked on Zuiderdam, there could be some European sailings where not all Neptune/Pinnacle guests can be accommodated on Volendam, let alone any Signature suite guests. Most likely those booked in Signature Suites on Zuiderdam will be accommodated in Vista Suites on Volendam, which is a definitive downgrade in accommodation. 

The other issue is what they do with those booked on Zuiderdam in standard Verandah rooms as there is ZERO equivalent on Volendam and upgrading them to Vista Suites is not practical either.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hflors said:

I wonder if Zuiderdam will also do the Oct 21 hawaii/ tahiti cruise instead of volendam?   

Yes, we got an email today changing our Dec. 2021 HI roundtrip on the Volendam to the Zuiderdam.

49 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Zuiderdam has 98 Signature Suites and 62 Neptune Suites - 160 in total.

Volendam has 28 Neptune’s in total.

Zuiderdam has 2 Pinnacle Suites, Volendam has 1

Depending on how many suites have already been booked on Zuiderdam, there could be some European sailings where not all Neptune/Pinnacle guests can be accommodated on Volendam, let alone any Signature suite guests. Most likely those booked in Signature Suites on Zuiderdam will be accommodated in Vista Suites on Volendam, which is a definitive downgrade in accommodation. 

The other issue is what they do with those booked on Zuiderdam in standard Verandah rooms as there is ZERO equivalent on Volendam and upgrading them to Vista Suites is not practical either.

Uggh. Stupid me.  Of course, you are so right.  I know the Volendam but didn’t take into account properly the limited cabins.

Oh dear, I guess we will have to wait to see what cabin category we all end up with.  I am not about to sail in a downgraded cabin nor do I want my sisters doing so.  Uggh.

this is a mess.  I am turning into a grumpier Gus every second 😉 😢  

• Like 1

I understand that during these times, ships can be swapped or itineraries cancelled/changed with no warning. But HAL better be ready to refund quickly any deposits or payments made, if they swapped to a smaller ship where a significant number of cabins don't match the previous ship's. Some in my group opted a few days ago to take HAL's "10% off if you pay all upfront" offer, so we hope this is the case and not that we get punished for helping HAL with its cash flow. 

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Uggh. Stupid me.  Of course, you are so right.  I know the Volendam but didn’t take into account properly the limited cabins.

Oh dear, I guess we will have to wait to see what cabin category we all end up with.  I am not about to sail in a downgraded cabin nor do I want my sisters doing so.  Uggh.

Depending on date flexibility and port preferences Westerdam has a full Mediterranean season as well. Theoretically you could switch to her if not happy with the accommodation given on Volendam, albeit you would not be price/amenity protected if you did that.  Also Nieuw Statendam arrives in Rome in September through early November. 

The only thing that seems certain at this time in 2020 is the uncertainty as to what our cruising future holds. 

Why make stress for oneself by making plans and bookings until there is definite clarity as to what to expect?  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The only thing that seems certain at this time in 2020 is the uncertainty as to what our cruising future holds. 

I feel like 2020 is one giant nightmare vision of a Wednesday on the original Mickey Mouse Club!!! 

For those old enough to remember - During the middle of the week, the Mickey Mouse Club decided that Wednesday was "Anything Can Happen Day!" or as I like to call it: "No One Knows What the Hell's Going On Day!"

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, scubadawg said:

Kazu, does it look like new itinerary only has 1 day in Madeira? Its an overnight but leaves at 6 a.m next day or did I misread ?

Bummed, booked this for 2 days in Madeira and Canary Islands stops.....Tangier isn't exciting either.....

Dam you're right.

I'll wait for the official itinerary itinerary to come out but dam if this is what it is HAL has really decided to not do interesting itineraries with this change, haven't they?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Depending on date flexibility and port preferences Westerdam has a full Mediterranean season as well. Theoretically you could switch to her if not happy with the accommodation given on Volendam, albeit you would not be price/amenity protected if you did that.  Also Nieuw Statendam arrives in Rome in September through early November. 

thanks I had looked at all of the itineraries before we chose this one (before it changed).  It wasa really different itinerary and reminded me a bit of a P'dam one.  I should have known it would have been dropped.

If you happen to get info on that site you posted a bit earlier on movements from Zuiderdam to Volendam for cabins and wouldn't mind to share, it would be very appreciated.

And you're right this is like the Wednesday on the Mickey Mouse Club except it's Tuesday 😉 

@rkacruiser we booked in November hoping covid would be resolved by then.  I've booked plenty of cruises earlier than this and never have I seen a ship switched out underneath me.  Sigon fo the times I guess.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

Uggh is right 😞  I won't be sailing in a downgraded cabin either.  We're booked on the Westerdam the day after we disembark the Zuiderdam, now I'm worrying about that one.  If there are too many undesirable changes we may be cancelling 😞  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

@rkacruiser we booked in November hoping covid would be resolved by then.  I've booked plenty of cruises earlier than this and never have I seen a ship switched out underneath me.  Sigon fo the times I guess.

Unfortunately, this is my second time that HAL has switched out a ship underneath me. At least the first time, it was completely understandable since the Ryndam had construction delays. And they swapped with the Nieuw Statendam, so no real loss in ship features or cabins. This time, the reasoning is more opaque and swapping to the smaller ship is skirting on "bait-and-switch" territory.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Unfortunately, this is my second time that HAL has switched out a ship underneath me. At least the first time, it was completely understandable since the Ryndam had construction delays. And they swapped with the Nieuw Statendam, so no real loss in ship features or cabins. This time, the reasoning is more opaque and swapping to the smaller ship is skirting on "bait-and-switch" territory.

I don't consider it a "bait and switch".  I'm sure there is a rationale for it.

I'm happy to be on the Volendam but don't undertand why the itinerary wasn't kept.

It is what it is and we will figure it out, I guess.  disappointed in the itinerary, not the ship at all as long as I get the cabin I booked.

• Like 1