Zuiderdam & Volendam summer 2021 schedules have been removed! Redeployment coming?

AtlantaCruiser72

@VMax1700 I like your formatting MUCH better than what I posted.   It more clearly displays the disparity in accommodations above oceanview on Volendam vs Zuiderdam

The second list I posted was to show what HAL was planning for those booked on Volendam and being moved to Zuiderdam.  There is no Zuiderdam to Voldendam cabin equivalency chart as of yet (that I know of).  If I find one I will post it.   It's a MUCH trickier move!   Folks originally booked to Alaska on Volendam are getting better quality of accommodation in most cases - except those booked in most inside rooms, as Zuiderdam's insides generally pale in comparison to Volendam's.  For those booked on Zuiderdam in Verandah and higher they are the ones getting the shortest end of this deal.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

Also on April 18th Zuiderdam Transatlantic; no transfer. Spain has said will close down until May. Too risky for the April  transatlantic. 5 cruises cancelled this year. Played it safe and booked 11 day caribbean April 22. Call it bank of HAL.  Can't begin to figure out my $$ situation!

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Don't see any other date, but May 26th is still listed and bookable!

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E1M12D/W130.html

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just looked at it just now...the May 26th 24 day sailing is still there, as is the May 2, 24 day sailing.

Sorry I wasn’t clear,  we are booked on the May Westerdam already.   I am concerned it will be cancelled and I thought there was a second cruise in the fall that you were talking about.  I was almost certain there was a fall sailing to Israel but I can’t find it.

is it perhaps on the Volendam and not showing up,yet?  

Edited by bennybear

@bennybear I don’t remember a fall 2021 sailing on Zuiderdam including Israel. I’m wondering if prior to the sailing suspensions maybe it was fall 2020?

When I booked my fall 2021 b2b sailings on the Nieuw Statendam I compared pricing and itineraries for all three vessels (Nieuw Statendam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam) in the months of September and October. Had Israel been an option it’s something we would have probably strongly considered and/or most likely booked as it’s a place both myself and my Mother want to visit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

I was almost certain there was a fall sailing to Israel but I can’t find it.

is it perhaps on the Volendam and not showing up,yet?  

Edited 9 hours ago by bennybear

I can guarantee it’s not on the Volendam itinerary.  

Here’s the Volendam itinerary:

69145EBB-1137-4AE9-9906-B2AEAF972028.jpeg.7e8a561c1ac57a098408c58ce55799d2.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@bennybear I don’t remember a fall 2021 sailing on Zuiderdam including Israel. I’m wondering if prior to the sailing suspensions maybe it was fall 2020?

When I booked my fall 2021 b2b sailings on the Nieuw Statendam I compared pricing and itineraries for all three vessels (Nieuw Statendam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam) in the months of September and October. Had Israel been an option it’s something we would have probably strongly considered and/or most likely booked as it’s a place both myself and my Mother want to visit. 

Thanks, I wonder if it was removed earlier,  I am pretty sure it was late fall 2021as I was trying to choose between the two.  Probably a moot point anyway. 

Edited by bennybear

Strangely enough, I thought I saw a cruise including Israel in the fall of '21, too.  It seems to me I was comparing the cruises before the TAs on Zuiderdam and Westerdam (or maybe a different ship altogether - I didn't take a screen shot) !  Or maybe I looked at so many cruises I am imagining it.  It's like house hunting, eventually they all blend in together!🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could it have possibly been on Veendam before they announced her as being sold?  That's sort of ringing a bell in me little grey cells.  I think she had some 14 night sailings round trip Venice that may have included Israel .....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Could it have possibly been on Veendam before they announced her as being sold?  That's sort of ringing a bell in me little grey cells.  I think she had some 14 night sailings round trip Venice that may have included Israel .....

That may have been it,  I am like @Vict0riann you start to think you are imagining things🥴

17 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Folks originally booked to Alaska on Volendam are getting better quality of accommodation in most cases - except those booked in most inside rooms, as Zuiderdam's insides generally pale in comparison to Volendam's.  For those booked on Zuiderdam in Verandah and higher they are the ones getting the shortest end of this deal.

I've never been in a J-class inside cabin on the Volendam. How are they compared to Vista J-class cabins?

1 minute ago, vicd1969 said:

I've never been in a J-class inside cabin on the Volendam. How are they compared to Vista J-class cabins?

Almost all Volendam inside cabins are the same regardless of letter code - approximately 182sq ft and have a sofa across from the desk with headboard of bed against the end wall.  Typical entry with closets on one side and bath on the other.  Some rooms are side entry with minimal extra sq footage, but essentially same furnishings.  While quite roomy and comfortable, with plenty of storage, there is nothing comparable on Volendam to the Deck 1 square J cabins on Vista/Signature class vessels.  

Here:s the typical layout:

Interior diagram

Well I can certainly answer that question as I was just notified of a change in my Sept 2021 Mediterranean cruise. We were booked on a 24 day Mediterranean cruise which was to leave Sept 7, 2020. Our decision was to cancel that trip in May just before our final payment was due, glad we did as the cruise was cancelled shortly after. We rebooked the same itinerary leaving Sept 11, 2021 from Venice on the Zuiderdam 2200 plus passengers at that time it was almost completely full & balcony suites where hard to come by. Just received a notice that Zuiderdam will be taking Volendam’s itinerary & vice versa.Volendam has only two decks with balconies, with just over 1400 capacity. Unless 800 people cancelled I do not know where everyone will be put. Not to happy with this decision.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, bfgood2 said:

Yes, indeed. We are booked on the Sept 11 RT Venice 12 day Eastern Med. cruise  on the Zuiderdam and received an email at 6:00 PM from the HAL Pres. Gus Antorcha stating that the Zuiderdam will be deployed to Alaska then Hawaii and Tahiti.  Volendam will be deployed to Europe. 

We are told we will be booked in the same Category (or higher) and our promotions will be protected.

I just did a quick search and see that the Volendam is a smaller ship and I was very particular about booking my cabin in VE class, so now what? Anyone with comments on Volendam in lieu of Zuiderdam, please make my day.

It's a cruise for our 50th anniversary and I'd rather not be disappointed....

Our 45th Anniversary 24 day Mediterranean cruise was of course cancelled this September. Rebooked for next September on the Zuiderdam Sept 11 from Venice, also VE, celebrating our 46th instead. We would be sharing part of that cruise. Two balcony decks only. According to critics hardly any balcony suites on the Veranda Deck are suitable due to the noise from all the common areas below. We will see which cabin they assign us. There are 800 fewer passengers on the Volendam  

@NIkkiGR if you are booked in a standard verandah (Categories VA-VH) on Zuiderdam most likely you will be accommodated in a full oceanview without verandah.  There are no standard verandah (balcony) rooms on Volendam.  The minimum room with verandah on Volendam is a "Vista Suite" which will be used to accommodate those who booked Signature Suites on Zuiderdam (which is still a downgrade in accomodation due to size/layout).

I have been communicating with our TA about this change of events and she said we should be accommodated on deck 6 (Verandah) and that category AA on Volendam would be equivalent to VE on the Zuiderdam. Our TA said she was on the Volendam this past January and it looked really good. 

It's true that we wouldn't want to be over the Main Stage Theater, so I checked it our carefully and have ID's 4 cabins on the starboard side (2 fore and 2 aft) in AA that aren't over or under anything objectionble.

She worked for HAL for 12 years early in her career and said she will put a request on our account for any of these cabins and that they likely will accommodate that when assigning cabins.

I'm going to contact the forum moderator and see if she can switch out the itineraries for the Zuiderdam and Volendam, on the roll calls, so we can use our appropriate roll call on the Volendam. 

11 hours ago, kazu said:

I can guarantee it’s not on the Volendam itinerary.  

Here’s the Volendam itinerary:

69145EBB-1137-4AE9-9906-B2AEAF972028.jpeg.7e8a561c1ac57a098408c58ce55799d2.jpeg

Here's what Zuiderdam was SUPPOSSED to do in October 2021. They switched us to Volendam but I'm not sure what the itinerary will be. Perhaps the exact same?

Tuesday, October 5

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 

Wednesday, October 6

Naples (Pompeii/Amalfi), Italy 

Thursday, October 7

At Sea 

Friday, October 8

Thira (Santorini), Greece 

Saturday, October 9

Marmaris, Turkey 

Sunday, October 10

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 

Monday, October 11

Piraeus (Athens), Greece  

Tuesday, October 12

Nafplion, Greece 

Wednesday, October 13

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 

Thursday, October 14

Kerkira, Nisos Kerkira (Corfu), Greece 

Friday, October 15

Kotor, Montenegro 

Saturday, October 16

Venice, Italy 

Sunday, October 17

Venice, Italy

On 10/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

yes - “Have it all” is the same thing as the “save now cruise later” advertised on HAL website, just different verbiage.  The shore excursion offer was layered on top of have it all.

December 8th seems reasonable as that would carry them through the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales period.

On the website today it said 20% off shore excursions for Alaska and Europe cruises next year but the deal expires on October 31.

1 minute ago, kevingastreich said:

On the website today it said 20% off shore excursions for Alaska and Europe cruises next year but the deal expires on October 31.

Correct - the current promo is set to expire tomorrow at end of day.  We were musing that it most likely will be extended.  I guessed until the end of year, someone else said the 8th of December.  Nothing has been announced by HAL yet as they typically do not announce extensions of offers in advance.  In essence we will know when we wake up Sunday whether Have it All and/or the Shore excursion discounts have been extended or not.  Anything before  then is just prognostication.

2 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@kevingastreich Supposedly all Volendam sailing will follow the exact same itinerary as Zuiderdam was intended to take, EXCEPT for the fall transatlantic sailing, which has been shortened by 2 days and had port changes.

That’s what I have seen so far.  We are the only ones dinged on the TA.  So sad as that was a really great itinerary.  

It is what it is - we have moved on.  We didn’t want a Moroccan cruise - been there done that - we wanted a Spanish Farewell and now I see Fado in Lisbon for us 😉 

We are going to make the best of it on another ship and another itinerary 😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@NIkkiGR if you are booked in a standard verandah (Categories VA-VH) on Zuiderdam most likely you will be accommodated in a full oceanview without verandah.  There are no standard verandah (balcony) rooms on Volendam.  The minimum room with verandah on Volendam is a "Vista Suite" which will be used to accommodate those who booked Signature Suites on Zuiderdam (which is still a downgrade in accomodation due to size/layout).

Our cruise cost is just over $17,000.00 I will not accept an ocean view room vs the VE balcony category that I booked. Unfortunately this is the first cruise I booked with HAL due to the itinerary  and if ocean view is what they deem as equivalent it will be my last.  

52 minutes ago, NIkkiGR said:

Our cruise cost is just over $17,000.00 I will not accept an ocean view room vs the VE balcony category that I booked. Unfortunately this is the first cruise I booked with HAL due to the itinerary  and if ocean view is what they deem as equivalent it will be my last.  

You had a VE cabin and HAL moved you down to an ocean view room?  I had a lanai cabin on the Volendam - wonder what HAL will give me on the Zuiderdam.  If it crappy, I'm not going.

58 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

You had a VE cabin and HAL moved you down to an ocean view room?  I had a lanai cabin on the Volendam - wonder what HAL will give me on the Zuiderdam.  If it crappy, I'm not going.

1 hour ago, NIkkiGR said:

HAL have not stated what will happen yet for guests booked in standard Verandah room on Zuiderdam (categories VA-VH). We are all just pontificating based on the small # of Vista & Neptune’s Suites, and lack of standard Verandah rooms, on Volendam.  I would think that some fare adjustments may need to be made as a result, but really no one knows right now.

For those on Volendam moving to Zuiderdam it will be much less stressful and HAL did publish a list of correlated cabins (post #33 of this thread). I will post it again below. If they hold true to this list category CA on Volendam will be berthed in category VE on Zuiderdam. Of course until a revised confirmation is in hand this is all subject to change.

The below list was provided to travel agents by HAL and is subject to change at their discretion.  It ONLY applies to those originally booked on Volendam being moved to Zuiderdam. A comparable list for those moving from Zuiderdam to Volendam has NOT been made available by HAL.

image.jpeg.37767d64c1add30f1b6e071d4d09f350.jpeg

29 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

HAL have not stated what will happen yet for guests booked in standard Verandah room on Zuiderdam (categories VA-VH). We are all just pontificating based on the small # of Vista & Neptune’s Suites, and lack of standard Verandah rooms, on Volendam.  I would think that some fare adjustments may need to be made as a result, but really no one knows right now.

For those on Volendam moving to Zuiderdam it will be much less stressful and HAL did publish a list of correlated cabins (post #33 of this thread). I will post it again below. If they hold true to this list category CA on Volendam will be berthed in category VE on Zuiderdam. Of course until a revised confirmation is in hand this is all subject to change.

The below list was provided to travel agents by HAL and is subject to change at their discretion.  It ONLY applies to those originally booked on Volendam being moved to Zuiderdam. A comparable list for those moving from Zuiderdam to Volendam has NOT been made available by HAL.

image.jpeg.37767d64c1add30f1b6e071d4d09f350.jpeg

Thank you for posting this chart.  So, instead of a lanai cabin (CA) I'd get a forward balcony (VE).  Sounds good to me.