Jump to content

Would you get on a ship today?


Recommended Posts

Let me say this, I have a cruise set to sail in March, 2020...final payment is this Dec 23rd...I doubt I'll make it, as I won't have any idea of the "protocols" to cruise, and would they be acceptable to me at that time.  Not interested in masking up....I don't walk around now with one on all the time...not doing that on a cruise.  

 

I had FCC's to cover most of the final payment...not even going to put them out there yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 5:12 PM, SkierRobUMN said:

Yes absolutely. No different than going to stay at a resort hotel for a vacation. 

Except if you decide you do not like it for some reason you can always leave the resort hotel. Once you board ship you surrender your ability to take such action until the ship returns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nocl said:

Except if you decide you do not like it for some reason you can always leave the resort hotel. Once you board ship you surrender your ability to take such action until the ship returns. 


That’s a choice one makes when they decide to take a cruise in general.
 

But you could always leave the ship at the first port of call if it was that bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 12:23 PM, Doubt It said:

 

So, onwards we go to Live Large and accept the risks that come with every virus, driving, aging etc.

 

America, don't be so hard on yourself, Canada and other countries have not done much better. 

 

 

🍋 👎

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SkierRobUMN said:


That’s a choice one makes when they decide to take a cruise in general.
 

But you could always leave the ship at the first port of call if it was that bad. 

However during normal times one does not have anywhere near as high of risk of poor implementation or poor enforcement of health procedures, a marked change from normal offerings/experience as well as the chance that one might end up in quarantine.

 

Also you may or may not be able to fly back from the first port.  Depends upon if the particular country allows it. or for that matter if the stops are at someplace where you can get access to an airport which you might be able to from some of the private islands out there.

 

a lot more maybes, as well as the potential cost of a last minute plane ticket, than picking up a phone and calling the front desk to say that you are checking out of the hotel, bring my car around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nocl said:

However during normal times one does not have anywhere near as high of risk of poor implementation or poor enforcement of health procedures, a marked change from normal offerings/experience as well as the chance that one might end up in quarantine.

 

Also you may or may not be able to fly back from the first port.  Depends upon if the particular country allows it. or for that matter if the stops are at someplace where you can get access to an airport which you might be able to from some of the private islands out there.

 

a lot more maybes, as well as the potential cost of a last minute plane ticket, than picking up a phone and calling the front desk to say that you are checking out of the hotel, bring my car around.

Totally agree.  There is always some risk in taking any kind of vacation, including a cruise.  But never before have we had to deal with the potential ramifications of such a deadly and contagious virus.  That completely changes the dynamic.  And your points about getting off at a port and getting home are very valid.  I'm not even sure it is legal to just jump ship for no reason at the first port, without prior approval - not sure about that one but I seem to remember reading some posts years ago about people wanting to sail just from here to there and not complete the journey but it was not allowed due to customs issues or some such thing.  I'm not expert on that one.  But yes, getting home could be difficult and sometimes not even possible, let alone extremely expensive.  Just not a fair comparison to days of old.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely not! And we just got back from Mexico, stayed for 2 weeks in Cabo. Being on a cruise ship and being at a spread out resort are very differant. I wonder if being vaccinated for covid will be mandatory to step foot on a cruise ship? I hope so....

Edited by knicola11
Grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...