Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

8 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Oh Ellie,

Thomas is such a beautiful little one!  Good to know he and his parents live close enough that you can visit often, Babies grow and change so quickly... and this way you won't miss all the wonderful changes.

Being left on the beach, as you went home for the arrival of your grandson, isn't so bad. It is much nicer than being at home where Wave 3 of this pandemic has put us back in shutdown! Good thing I brought lots of sunscreen🤣 

Gail

Thank you Gail. Yes we are lucky to live reasonably close, and have been preparing for weeks for his birth by isolating ourselves from other people, to keep him safe. 

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing another wave of the pandemic. Whilst the vaccines are wonderful, and will undoubtedly help us to fight the virus, we are happy to continue to wear masks and to socially distance for as long as it takes, even when we are fully vaccinated. But whilst we have settled into an acceptance of how things are, and what we must do to keep ourselves and others safe, I know that many people are finding it harder and harder. I hope that your lockdown will have the required effect. Have you had your vaccine yet? 

We have had our first dose of vaccine and have an appointment for the second dose. We also continue following all the guidelines. As you say this has been very hard for many to keep to themselves. Between the variants and Easter weekend, things got out of hand. The number of daily cases with many needing intensive care is putting a strain on our medical system. With this new 28 day lockdown, hopefully we can get this under control,

Gail

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

We have had our first dose of vaccine and have an appointment for the second dose. We also continue following all the guidelines. As you say this has been very hard for many to keep to themselves. Between the variants and Easter weekend, things got out of hand. The number of daily cases with many needing intensive care is putting a strain on our medical system. With this new 28 day lockdown, hopefully we can get this under control,

Gail

Congratulations on getting your first doses.  It felt so good to us to finally get into the system.

Marilee

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, cnd crsr said:

Gail

Congrats on getting your first shot 🙂

From another Gail lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping all is well with Ellie and new grandson addition!  I'm sure things

are so much more busy for them all!

Our second shot of Moderna is next week!  Excited to be done for now!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ROWSE said:

I totally understand how you feel.  I was so happy to get my second shot.  Of course, I was also happy just to get an appointment for my first shot.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, cnd crsr said:

Gail

So glad to hear that you have had your first dose of the vaccine, Gail. I know that we were relieved to receive ours.

I’m sorry to hear that things have not been going too well, I think Canada was a little slow in getting the vaccination programme up and running but it’s good to hear that it’s gaining speed. It really is a horrendous thing that we are all going through, and we are probably the lucky ones as our countries can afford the vaccine. We watch CNN a lot as it has the most comprehensive round up of news about the rest of the world, and it seems that India, Brazil and many other countries are in dire straits. Unfortunately none of will be really safe until those parts of the world have got Covid under control. 

I really do hope that the lockdown works for you all. 

Although the UK has been doing well, and we receive our second dose of the vaccine in a few days, we cannot become complacent. Thankfully, the uptake of vaccine has been excellent, with 95% of over 50’s accepting it, despite the bad press about the AZ vaccine. 

Although our shops have mainly reopened, and we can now eat outside at restaurants and bars, I think it will take me a long, long time to feel comfortable about being around lots of people. Masks and social distancing are definitely the new normal for me. 

I am not sure how I would cope on a cruise ship with thousands of people roaming about. I guess there will come a time when we will just have to bite the bullet and find out, once cruising has been re-established. I just hope that a few people will not ruin it by getting false vaccination certification or bogus Covid test results. If that happens it could be the death knell for cruise ships as another round of infections onboard could be fatal for the industry. I hope there will be a good system for checking the authenticity of any vaccination ‘passports.’ 

Good luck to you all in Canada! 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 8:55 PM, ROWSE said:

Hello again, ROWSE!

I’m sorry to have been away so long. We have been so engrossed in our new baby grandson that we just don’t know where the last month has gone. But we are making the most of every day we spend with him, and can’t wait for him to start smiling and gurgling. I had forgotten just how hard life can be with a new baby, and he is certainly hard work but his mum is coping marvellously. 

So glad to hear that you are getting your second shot very soon. That is brilliant news! 👍

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 1:19 PM, margord said:

I totally understand how you feel.  I was so happy to get my second shot.  Of course, I was also happy just to get an appointment for my first shot.

Great news margord! So glad you have had your second shot. 👍

Well, here I am again! 

I hope you are all still there, and appreciate your patience. So now I’ll carry on with our adventure.

(I have organised for your cabin steward to bring you all a bottle of calamine lotion as I wouldn’t like you to suffer from sunburn after your very extensive sojourn on the beach....)

But here is a photo of the little one. We still can’t get enough of him! 😉

81AAAC5E-F54F-4DBB-91C1-2C980021CBFE.thumb.jpeg.7077126069fc05a0cd85b29b0000e874.jpeg

• Like 9

Back to the ship..

Our driver welcomes us back and we settle down for the drive back to the ship. I love being able to see new places and this trip has not disappointed.

17061196-04D1-4D3F-82A1-FAE1ACFA6C9F.thumb.jpeg.b5cd0fb0cce48f6d4adf32465ac0265e.jpeg

49025E72-0993-46C0-8CA0-328CC1B67EB5.thumb.jpeg.10a15fd11dba2f9dc7a6514cd856ccd1.jpeg

012B93CE-D462-48C4-A6FA-2A7029D1A673.thumb.jpeg.77c4dd1ee6925473977720cafba74d71.jpeg

30358C5E-18DE-4F5F-93D1-2F62DDFCA18A.thumb.jpeg.be12ace2f0c191962cfe69cd4a9ce9d6.jpeg

55273A23-2AFC-4823-A439-954F5661E845.thumb.jpeg.a729cf2b56302f257cc71e3afc30512b.jpeg

3472816D-3BF6-47FC-93DD-ED4E5C292DE4.thumb.jpeg.db6adddb2f418856ff922c4b673b912e.jpeg

2C001CF1-F683-4AB9-BCEB-B0ECAB7200F6.thumb.jpeg.88018b9752c85d71b89d8f3f51777267.jpeg

We pass houses, churches and beautiful countryside and eventually there she is, our ship of dreams.

F7B21D05-7B2D-4376-8DEE-30543212286D.thumb.jpeg.4e363da8409f93d2c62c5e8a18a7ddc8.jpeg

Well, not exactly the Titanic, and as we walk past her she looks a little rusty. Normally ships are kept in great condition with continuous maintenance and painting, but poor old Ruby Princess looks a little worse for wear. It is easy to forget how much effort goes into keeping these huge ships spick and span, and the continual battering from the sea makes its mark. However, it’s nothing that a lick of paint will not put right.

33B47F23-9290-45E7-B855-8F59A10C17B9.thumb.jpeg.51e98ea64097da6e439023972b0117d7.jpeg

FED6BB55-8C22-47C4-9CA9-F12BB1E38CD6.thumb.jpeg.a5297ecde3b58329a764d7334a497ae9.jpeg

8124361E-6C16-4CDA-982E-BA7B6D7BC946.thumb.jpeg.7e2e39b16ad9734a790c4c6825593e1d.jpeg

93CD6A55-01D1-4A48-A7F0-4294176F7EF4.thumb.jpeg.ade65a30713a7ee37b390a2a29ec9558.jpeg

• Like 1

We pay our driver and bid him farewell. It’s been a wonderful drive and we have really enjoyed seeing a little of this beautiful and verdant island.

Back on board we make our way back to the cabin for a freshen up before grabbing a light lunch in the buffet. It's still early so we decide to take advantage of the free shuttle on the dock and visit a nearby Walmart.

DSC00948.thumb.JPG.3dc21ea83544d5542550656824131726.JPG

DSC00947.thumb.JPG.eebc4f69e11d98911cb82e4211fe0d8b.JPG

It’s another nice drive (and free this time!) but we don’t stay long at Walmart as it hasn’t got much to interest us, although I do buy a couple of ‘fridge magnets.

B729F86B-03DD-4626-8A6A-6D5967E44FC5.thumb.jpeg.cab4e110e15b9746edf0e692884a9697.jpeg

Then it’s back to the ship for our favourite afternoon tea in the dining room.

03758CFD-FD9D-473F-86C2-01D3485E0F73.thumb.jpeg.f15420c312d48c4540640db1ab68de6c.jpeg

We are just in time to indulge in a couple of sandwiches and some delicious warm scones. What bliss!

D6604B71-B890-4ED5-8270-51C307E8FE39.thumb.jpeg.513c604a8b268f9868e4fc4f0a127f3e.jpeg

3B41521D-8B15-40F5-BB70-748FB7F22F8F.thumb.jpeg.d2fc5f1adb1e64c5ae83a9b2165fe2e8.jpeg

62AEEBBD-F7DB-471A-8ED9-076602364F84.thumb.jpeg.cfd8de1749fa1c35b32a8137df7a8c7d.jpeg

620DE08E-E2C3-46B8-81AD-40730CB1CB56.thumb.jpeg.a9ba613d857533c3efca25bfe48495ff.jpeg

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

Welcome back Ellie.  You are a hero to entertain us when you would rather be snuggling your favourite little man.

We have been in that Wallmart shopping centre many times as our timeshare is nearby.  it's too bad you didn't know to walk over to the hotel and have a looksee.  I wonder if you'll have a picture of it in the distance as you sail away.

• Thanks 1

Welcome back Ellie!  Glad to see that you finally returned to the ship after the long pause for the delivery of your grandbaby.  He's adorable!

I got jab #2 of Moderna a couple of hours ago and am just taking it easy.  Normal life just got closer for us and it seems that it will for you as well very soon.

• Like 2

Hi Ellie,

What a beautiful wee man! Grandchildren are such a joy and grow up far too quickly. Enjoy every moment you can spent with your adorable new grandson.

I am glad to be back on the Ruby and joining you for afternoon tea.  I will limit myself to one of those delicious warm scones ... have to save myself for another delicious dinner in a few hours.

Gail

• Thanks 1

Thomas is such a beautiful boy! Congratulations, again...

DH and I are two weeks out from our 2nd Moderna dose, and are chomping at the bit to go out and cruise and travel. No news on when the West Coast cruises will resume. Hopefully before years end.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Welcome back Ellie.  You are a hero to entertain us when you would rather be snuggling your favourite little man.

We have been in that Wallmart shopping centre many times as our timeshare is nearby.  it's too bad you didn't know to walk over to the hotel and have a looksee.  I wonder if you'll have a picture of it in the distance as you sail away.

Thank you, Teabag.

My husband thought you were talking about him - I had to explain that it was Thomas. He was most disappointed....🤣

I wish we’d known about the hotel as we would have enjoyed exploring it. Well, maybe next time. How often are you able to visit (in normal circumstances)?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Welcome back Ellie!  Glad to see that you finally returned to the ship after the long pause for the delivery of your grandbaby.  He's adorable!

I got jab #2 of Moderna a couple of hours ago and am just taking it easy.  Normal life just got closer for us and it seems that it will for you as well very soon.

Thank you, azbirdmom. I’m afraid it has been rather a long time, but we are back again. 

Delighted to hear that you have received your second jab. That is excellent news. I just hope that the recent bad press about both the J&J and the AZ vaccines will not impact the roll out of the jabs too much. It seems to have had little effect here in the UK but it’s disappointing that it may be affecting uptake in the USA and elsewhere. 

We will be very glad when we have received our second dose, although we will continue to take the same precautions as before. Life is too precious to gamble. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

Good to see you Ellie ,congratulations on a beautiful new Grandson what an extra blessing in these times.

I see UK vaccinated residents can take coastal cruises and wonder if you will do one?

Thank you, DUCHESSRN. It certainly is a blessing and one we never thought would happen. 

They have released dates for cruises from the UK but I don’t think that we will bother as we like to be sure of the weather, and unfortunately, that is something you just can’t guarantee. We will watch these first cruises with interest, and hope that all goes well. Another outbreak of Covid on a cruise ship could have a devastating effect on the whole industry. 

We do have a Transatlantic booked for the end of October but it has now disappeared from the websites, and we are not at all hopeful that it will actually take place. 

13 hours ago, Westaussie said:

Lovely to be back with you Ellie in Hawaii and what a gorgeous grandson.

We are back in total lockdown in Perth WA, first community spread virus in 12 months.  We get our first AZ vaccination on 6th May.

Thank you Westaussie, I’m glad to be back.

Good luck with the vaccination. Sorry to hear that you are in lockdown but it is very necessary I am sure. Australia has done so well that I don’t doubt that it will take all the action required to stamp out any infection. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie,

What a beautiful wee man! Grandchildren are such a joy and grow up far too quickly. Enjoy every moment you can spent with your adorable new grandson.

I am glad to be back on the Ruby and joining you for afternoon tea.  I will limit myself to one of those delicious warm scones ... have to save myself for another delicious dinner in a few hours.

Gail

Glad you got back safely, Gail. Hope you aren’t too sunburnt. The calamine lotion is very calming on the skin should you suffer any side effects....

We certainly are enjoying every minute with Thomas. It is such a joy and a great blessing. We feel very grateful for the chance to be with our little grandson. 

Good to hear you are joining us for afternoon tea. I wonder if you will find room for a cookie or a piece of cake?  It’s way too tempting I’m afraid..🤣

• Like 1