Jump to content

Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess


Recommended Posts

All this mighty ships of war are more of a reminder that war may be waged anywhere.. even in the water. I really hope that we will never have a war in the seas and in the oceans, and these ships will remain as statues 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellie,

 

Easy one...Jimmy Buffett! 

21 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

 

🎶 Won’t you let me take you on a sea cruise? 🎶

 

So there we are, Cruising Adventurers!

 

After our short sojourn in Los Angeles we are finally ready to board Ruby Princess.

 

I hope you have all arrived safely and are on your way to San Pedro.

 

See you in the Terminal! 🚢

 

 

Edited by Texter2
Duplicate
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Iowa's sister ship is the Missouri ported at Pearl Harbor (Oahu).  I was leaving San Francisco on a Princess sister ship when the Iowa was being towed to San Pedro.  

 

Mahalo for resurrecting these memories.  

 

Oh my, I hadn’t realised that, cr8tiv. We were lucky enough to visit the Mighty Mo and were blown away by it. 

 

What a wonderful sight that must have been to see her being towed. It is so wonderful that she has been preserved. It is sad that so many historic cruise ships have been lost forever, but of course they are very expensive to maintain. 

 

I would really like to visit the U.S.S. Iowa one day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

All this mighty ships of war are more of a reminder that war may be waged anywhere.. even in the water. I really hope that we will never have a war in the seas and in the oceans, and these ships will remain as statues 

 

I think we would all agree that we wish that there would be no more wars. Sadly the human race seems unwilling to live in peace. But as you say, these mighty ships are great reminders, and need to be cherished and preserved for future generations, who, hopefully will never have to serve on them in war. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 8:02 PM, ellie1145 said:

🎶   One more dawn

        One more day

        One day more! 🎶

 

Back at the hotel we go straight up to our room and I do most of the packing ready for tomorrow. We walk down to Denny’s for a snack and it’s a lovely evening.

 

It is exciting to think that this time tomorrow we will be on Ruby Princess.

 

With everything laid out for the morning, and after a quick shower, we both fall exhaustedly into bed.

 

It’s been a great few days and we have really enjoyed seeing so many interesting places, not to mention being able to do some shopping.

 

Now it’s nearly time to board Ruby Princess.

 

Hope you are all ready and waiting with passports and boarding documents in hand.

 

The song is from the the  wonderful  Les Miserables Just seen it pre covid in London with Michael Ball, it was my fathers favourite,  so many tears were shed!! We also love a Panera , one holiday in Florida  we were there so often I got a Panera points card I felt very American!!But its sadly not  accepted as a green card! Anyhoo  looking forward to seeing Ruby Princess! 

Edited by winifred
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texter2 said:

Ellie,

 

Easy one...Jimmy Buffett! 

 

 

It has actually been recorded by a huge number of artists, and the first one in 1959 was by Frankie Ford and Huey ‘Piano’ Smith, but Jimmy Buffett certainly covered it.

 

Here are some of the artists - Jerry Lee Lewis 1973, Johnny Rivers 1974, the Beach Boys 1976, Don McLean 1981, Anne Murray 1983, and even our own Cliff Richards in 1990 to name but a few.

 

I am sure you are way too young to remember the 1959 version,  Texter2 so of course, one of my brand new, completely updated, full size, super powered, Vortex vacuum cleaners, just imported from China, is waiting to wing its way to you via Amazon, the river of course!  🤣

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, winifred said:

The song is from the the  wonderful  Les Miserables Just seen it pre covid in London with Michael Ball, it was my fathers favourite,  so many tears were shed!! We also love a Panera , one holiday in Florida  we were there so often I got a Panera points card I felt very American!!But its sadly not  accepted as a green card! Anyhoo  looking forward to seeing Ruby Princess! 

 

It is, indeed, Winifred. It’s my favourite musical, too, seen it 3 times in London and cried each time.

 

The opening scenes of the 2012 movie where Jean Valnean and the convicts are seen pulling a ship into the dock, was filmed in the Historic Naval Dockyard in Portsmouth, near to where we live, so it is close to my heart.

 

I am salivating at the mere mention of Panera. We also have a loyalty number and love getting the freebies every now and then. Nothing like a free Bear Claw to brighten your day!

 

I love the idea of using a Panera loyalty card as a Green Card! Just wish it worked.

 

Glad to have you along on our adventure on Ruby Princess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

🎶 Love Boat soon will be making another run

    The Love Boat promises something for everyone.🎶 

 

CFE96CCF-1E2A-4B72-A1A8-173F036B45C3.thumb.png.40077e555311a0728aad096bbca00307.png

 

Despite a small detour, as the result of Mr Google not recognising where the World Cruise Centre actually is, and which saw us watching Ruby Princess fade into the distance, our driver does a quick u-turn and drops us at the entrance to the terminal.  It is surprisingly not very busy at all, although it is only just after 10.00 am and we are a little early.

 

It is certainly much easier than the rather manic embarkation at Miami or Fort Lauderdale, where we have often sat in a taxi, within sight of the ship, waiting for the slow moving traffic to ease.

 

We offer up our luggage to be taken away, and as usual, hope that it will end up outside our cabin door later.

 

4E3E45BF-E491-4A3D-B970-E4E35DE84D35.thumb.jpeg.2f10431193396cce32ab316d234a6161.jpeg

 

We walk inside and can see that the check in desks are still empty.

 

There are plenty of seats so we find a corner and settle down to wait for embarkation. It is still only 10.15 am so we wait for the check in desks to open. I always enjoy people watching, and there is usually someone to chat to.

 

We are delighted to see so many Cruising Adventurers waiting in the embarkation hall. 

 

7B0F5A4F-9E45-4750-BE20-F8B15F4840B7.thumb.jpeg.13454193a3ec4f41090112de736ab724.jpeg

 

5E6EBBFA-0CEC-41E8-85EF-31CBDA176ED5.thumb.jpeg.146e0de623ae929f9819f6f36fd494fb.jpeg

 

A4F22E05-72A2-4146-830D-BA3736473A46.thumb.jpeg.8c5cbc6b6289ceae7f0e14748b7efea4.jpeg

 

View out of the window across to San Pedro.

344F35A3-A133-4E3D-A9A6-5ECB43F36916.thumb.jpeg.ae30ec905e6fc9d8c51bb824ee76d600.jpeg

 

There are beverages set out in a different area, so we both get cups of water. 

5ED16377-EEB8-4DEB-9684-3E54723F88E5.thumb.jpeg.2259e698d2beae664871ba4fee1aabe4.jpeg

 

Once formalities are completed we are given Group A Elite Boarding Passes, and after a short wait we are called to board. It is a little before 11.00 and it certainly has been easy embarkation process.

0984313A-89F8-4E80-89A5-DEC23F3151D2.thumb.jpeg.c868a4edc81f07dc34e2abd42175dfc3.jpeg

 

We are given a leaflet about early embarkation, with the offer to store our carry-on luggage in the Conference Centre on Deck 6 Forward.

 

3FD302D0-20A9-4B64-B823-005A05444D24.thumb.jpeg.aa28e7cab45c47b4085b6c11fea0fdbd.jpeg

 

Then we are on our way! I have yet to get a good look at Ruby. It’s ten years since we were onboard her and I wonder if she has changed at all.

 

Our plan is to eat lunch in the Dining Room, but it’s too early so we make our way up to the buffet where we find a seat and watch the world go by.

 

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ellie,

 

 Waiting in the WCC with all the other Cruising Adventurers. As soon as we board and drop off the hand luggage before heading to the dining room for one of my favourite meals onboard.

Hope all our luggage arrives before Muster and we can get unpacked. Last time we sailed from there, my luggage arrived right after lunch and DH had to wait until we returned from dinner ....

Gail

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

Really enjoying this trip with you.  I am hoping to be sailing on the Ruby in April out of San Francisco but who knows?  This trip will keep me going till then.  Thank you!

 

So glad to hear that you are enjoying this trip. 

 

I sincerely hope that your cruise will take place, but as you say, who knows? 

 

So we live a fantasy life cruising virtually but 100% safely.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie,

 

 Waiting in the WCC with all the other Cruising Adventurers. As soon as we board and drop off the hand luggage before heading to the dining room for one of my favourite meals onboard.

Hope all our luggage arrives before Muster and we can get unpacked. Last time we sailed from there, my luggage arrived right after lunch and DH had to wait until we returned from dinner ....

Gail

 

Hi Gail

 

I did give you a wave in the WCC as we were called to board. 👋

 

I have to agree with you, the first lunch in the Dining Room is so special and always seems the best of the cruise. It’s also a time when I can relax and think that at last I can let the wonderful Princess crew take care of us, with 2 weeks of relaxation, good food, beautiful ports and great company.

 

By the way, I have arranged with the Maitre D that we have a special area in the Dining Room for all the Cruising Adventurers. Just mention that you are a Cruising Adventurer and you will be shown to your table.....see you there! 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

🎶  Girls Just Want to Have Lunch 🎶 

 

At about 11.45 we make our way to the Dining Room and wait outside for the doors to open.

 

Now, not everyone knows that lunch is available in the Dining Room on embarkation day, and staff do their utmost to persuade people to eat in the buffet, but thanks to CC we know the secret. (Shh!)

 

As we wait patiently outside the doors there is a feeling of ‘How did they find out about lunch in the Dining Room?’ There are surreptitious glances, and the odd glare as we scan the faces of those waiting. But thankfully it is a secret that most people are unaware of, and we really must keep it that way, so please, not a word to anyone, let’s keep it to ourselves.....🤫

 

It is always a most relaxing and wonderful way to start a cruise, and as the doors open we are greeted warmly and shown to a table for 2.

 

As I mentioned to Gail (cnd crsr) earlier, I had a word with the Maitre D who said he would set aside a special area for all of us Cruising Adventurers, and he has stayed true to his word. Just mention that you are one of the Cruising Adventurers and you will be directed to this area.

 

A5DAE32D-F558-4BB2-AB75-2A53C6EBDFED.thumb.jpeg.a8835c595f48d50bda62a1bb55eed7b5.jpeg

 

9AFA03EA-1142-4151-B9E1-5B21AE44968F.thumb.jpeg.7305cb0f1f9ee8ad94e30c4c5a911d9c.jpeg

 

9F88CD6C-5983-4577-9806-A25CDC30F5A3.thumb.jpeg.7f9765104a6d4c8e2923c6eb3d5d2fc3.jpeg

 

The menu looks as good as usual, (four choices instead of the two we will have on Majestic Princess) and, although we decline a starter, DH chooses the Broiled Salmon with Lemon and Dill Sauce, and I order the Grilled Herb-Spiced Beef Tenderloin.

 

6B38FF34-2A49-498C-A66B-66F7282EC4E4.thumb.jpeg.0176cd01b1ba986852fa586117a95c75.jpeg

 

Both are delicious - the beef is tender and tasty, and DH enjoys his fish. I guess you have noticed that he generally chooses fish - not because he is a pescatarian - but I do have to check him now and again to make sure he is not growing gills....

 

There is a bowl of beautiful fresh rolls on the table, and no shortage of butter. Princess rolls are always delicious, and we indulge ourselves today.

 

5D3EA6E7-DFFF-4889-8B4C-083117F01694.thumb.jpeg.0feace74155b7ecf49ecf824b59ef5e9.jpeg

 

 

There are four choices of dessert, including Sherry Trifle and Ice Cream, but I think Princess are the absolute best at soufflés, and I am delighted to see that an Orange Soufle with Grand Marnier-vanilla sauce is on the dessert menu. It proves to be just as delicious as usual, light and fluffy,  although DH chooses his favourite, Apple Tarte Tatin with Vanilla Ice Cream. How can he resist the soufflé?

 

5F05857B-04F0-4A66-A8EC-690EFFE11F65.thumb.jpeg.4c5293c91efa887022dced54bcc27003.jpeg

 

It’s been a typically wonderful and relaxing meal, and we finish lunch with a welcome pot of tea. Now we really feel as if the cruise has started.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, Ellie, did you have to post those delicious pictures?  I didn't know about the dining room lunch and I went to the buffet.

 

We must remember your tip if we sail in June.

FYI, only Concierge class on Celebrity get to eat in the dining room on embarkation day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

Gosh, Ellie, did you have to post those delicious pictures?  I didn't know about the dining room lunch and I went to the buffet.

 

We must remember your tip if we sail in June.

FYI, only Concierge class on Celebrity get to eat in the dining room on embarkation day.

 

We did look for you, TeaBag, sorry you missed the soufflé. I’ll get one delivered to your stateroom...😉

 

Well, as we are never likely to sail Concierge Class I guess that means no cruising with Celebrity......😭

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Ellie,

I am truly back on a cruise... a dining room lunch with the avocado/shrimp starter, followed by the salmon and ending with the orange souffle is the WELCOME BACK for me every time we board.

 

Thank you for arranging an area just for the group. This made it even more special😃.

 

Now to unpack and be ready for Muster.

 

Gail

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

🎶  Girls Just Want to Have Lunch 🎶 

 

At about 11.45 we make our way to the Dining Room and wait outside for the doors to open.

 

Now, not everyone knows that lunch is available in the Dining Room on embarkation day, and staff do their utmost to persuade people to eat in the buffet, but thanks to CC we know the secret. (Shh!)

 

As we wait patiently outside the doors there is a feeling of ‘How did they find out about lunch in the Dining Room?’ There are surreptitious glances, and the odd glare as we scan the faces of those waiting. But thankfully it is a secret that most people are unaware of, and we really must keep it that way, so please, not a word to anyone, let’s keep it to ourselves.....🤫

 

It is always a most relaxing and wonderful way to start a cruise, and as the doors open we are greeted warmly and shown to a table for 2.

 

As I mentioned to Gail (cnd crsr) earlier, I had a word with the Maitre D who said he would set aside a special area for all of us Cruising Adventurers, and he has stayed true to his word. Just mention that you are one of the Cruising Adventurers and you will be directed to this area.

 

A5DAE32D-F558-4BB2-AB75-2A53C6EBDFED.thumb.jpeg.a8835c595f48d50bda62a1bb55eed7b5.jpeg

 

9AFA03EA-1142-4151-B9E1-5B21AE44968F.thumb.jpeg.7305cb0f1f9ee8ad94e30c4c5a911d9c.jpeg

 

9F88CD6C-5983-4577-9806-A25CDC30F5A3.thumb.jpeg.7f9765104a6d4c8e2923c6eb3d5d2fc3.jpeg

 

The menu looks as good as usual, (four choices instead of the two we will have on Majestic Princess) and, although we decline a starter, DH chooses the Broiled Salmon with Lemon and Dill Sauce, and I order the Grilled Herb-Spiced Beef Tenderloin.

 

6B38FF34-2A49-498C-A66B-66F7282EC4E4.thumb.jpeg.0176cd01b1ba986852fa586117a95c75.jpeg

 

Both are delicious - the beef is tender and tasty, and DH enjoys his fish. I guess you have noticed that he generally chooses fish - not because he is a pescatarian - but I do have to check him now and again to make sure he is not growing gills....

 

There is a bowl of beautiful fresh rolls on the table, and no shortage of butter. Princess rolls are always delicious, and we indulge ourselves today.

 

5D3EA6E7-DFFF-4889-8B4C-083117F01694.thumb.jpeg.0feace74155b7ecf49ecf824b59ef5e9.jpeg

 

 

There are four choices of dessert, including Sherry Trifle and Ice Cream, but I think Princess are the absolute best at soufflés, and I am delighted to see that an Orange Soufle with Grand Marnier-vanilla sauce is on the dessert menu. It proves to be just as delicious as usual, light and fluffy,  although DH chooses his favourite, Apple Tarte Tatin with Vanilla Ice Cream. How can he resist the soufflé?

 

5F05857B-04F0-4A66-A8EC-690EFFE11F65.thumb.jpeg.4c5293c91efa887022dced54bcc27003.jpeg

 

It’s been a typically wonderful and relaxing meal, and we finish lunch with a welcome pot of tea. Now we really feel as if the cruise has started.

 

 

 

Yes...I’m aware of the lunch in the MDR & yes it’s something to look forward to. I’ve had the same experience as all of the staff seem to have amnesia about the MDR being opened. 
 

I enjoy your writing style. I’ll be on the Ruby hopefully in April 2021 from San Francisco on 2 b2b cruises. 
 

This will be my 3rd cruise on the Ruby. 
 

I've got 4 cruises booked on Princess & have a Meet & Greet arranged for each one. Hopefully they’ll happen but with all of the stuff going on any thing can happen. 
 

Tom😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am enjoying the start of your virtual cruise and look forward to more each day.  We have not been on the Ruby but are booked to Hawaii for March 22 out of San Francisco.  It is so nice to anticipate cruising once again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Oh Ellie,

I am truly back on a cruise... a dining room lunch with the avocado/shrimp starter, followed by the salmon and ending with the orange souffle is the WELCOME BACK for me every time we board.

 

Thank you for arranging an area just for the group. This made it even more special😃.

 

Now to unpack and be ready for Muster.

 

Gail

 

 

It was a good lunch, wasn’t it, Gail? Made all the better by seeing all the Cruising Adventurers together in the Dining Room. I’m afraid we got a little raucous at one point......🍾🎉🎊

 

See you at Muster! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

One of the things I enjoy about club class is the relaxed uncrowded boarding day lunch.   

 

I’m afraid I have never experienced club class, and not likely to, but I’m always amazed at how empty the dining room is on embarkation day. The staff do a very good job of keeping it a secret. 🤣

 

So ‘mums’ the word! 😉

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, trbarton said:

Yes...I’m aware of the lunch in the MDR & yes it’s something to look forward to. I’ve had the same experience as all of the staff seem to have amnesia about the MDR being opened. 
 

I enjoy your writing style. I’ll be on the Ruby hopefully in April 2021 from San Francisco on 2 b2b cruises. 
 

This will be my 3rd cruise on the Ruby. 
 

I've got 4 cruises booked on Princess & have a Meet & Greet arranged for each one. Hopefully they’ll happen but with all of the stuff going on any thing can happen. 
 

Tom😀

 

Glad you are enjoying our adventure, Tom. Great to have you along. 

 

I hope your cruise on Ruby goes ahead. Unfortunately, at the moment, nobody can be sure of anything. We are even doubtful that our November 2021 Transatlantic will be a runner unless a miracle happens. 

 

Anyway, enjoy this Covid free cruise with us, and I hope it brings back happy memories of your cruises onboard Ruby Princess. 

Edited by ellie1145
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...