Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

Adieu to Hawaii

EF09B148-29B7-46CB-8025-A96887FCE545.thumb.jpeg.cc413d981b0f2600c93f9d54c50a479a.jpeg

It is with some sadness that we stand on deck and watch as Maui fades into the distance. It is a beautiful evening, and the sea is calm.

D5470978-FF15-4201-8F2B-342090F06F6E.thumb.jpeg.8e9ba9b4fa7abe99a157ad05c874f19b.jpeg

Clouds are rolling down the hillsides, shrouding them in a mantle of mist. We must say ‘adieu’ to our final Hawaiian island, and we wonder if we will be lucky enough to return one day. We certainly hope so.

A1888D91-01B5-4E18-8C5C-7F0D62969C5A.thumb.jpeg.38da8dc79b0ef39db7ed629ed2f070c0.jpeg

Little do we know what is to befall the world a short time later.

Back in our cabin, as we get ready for dinner I take a final shot, through our rather obscured window, of the sunset, but to my dismay, Captain Speaking has not had our window cleaned, thus ruining my photo. I shall be having words with him next time I see him......

16280F4A-285F-41FE-8620-A28AB035E8DD.thumb.jpeg.7cbd5aa6bd83acb94c8de8055e162e43.jpeg

We are heading back across the Pacific, with 5 days at sea and our final port of Ensenada. We will enjoy these lazy days, meeting new friends, playing trivia and making the most of being onboard this lovely ship. She may be a bit rusty in places, and not as sparkling as the beautiful Majestic Princess, but she has a charm and an ambiance all of her own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Hi JF, we'll be on that one as well.  Are you going on the snorkelling trip that's being arranged for Bora Bora?

IF that is the one with Patrick, you will have a wonderful experience!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnd crsr said:

IF that is the one with Patrick, you will have a wonderful experience!

Yes it is,  I've heard so many great things about it and have checked out the website.  It's just so far away, almost 2 years.

• Like 2

HI Ellie,

Ahhhhhh ... 5 relaxing sea days coming up plus 5 more days of afternoon tea and these tasty goodies (and I spoon the jam on the scone and cover it with the cream just as you do). I can hardly wait to see how we will spend the next 5 days!

Gail

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

HI Ellie,

Ahhhhhh ... 5 relaxing sea days coming up plus 5 more days of afternoon tea and these tasty goodies (and I spoon the jam on the scone and cover it with the cream just as you do). I can hardly wait to see how we will spend the next 5 days!

Gail

Yes, I’m afraid we will have to do a lot of walking round the deck to use up all those extra calories! 

But it’s SO worth it as there is nothing like a relaxing afternoon tea onboard a Princess ship (although the Cunard afternoon is pretty special too!😉). Glad you are a jam first person too, Gail! 

22 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Hi JF, we'll be on that one as well.  Are you going on the snorkelling trip that's being arranged for Bora Bora?

How fantastic that you are both going to be on the same cruise. It is just the itinerary I’d love to do. What is holding me back is that it will be Thomas’s 2nd birthday and we would have to miss it, and I’m not sure our daughter would forgive us! 🤣  But we will have to wait and see......

3 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

HI Ellie,

Gail

Sounds relaxinig and delicious!

Gail also 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Yes it is,  I've heard so many great things about it and have checked out the website.  It's just so far away, almost 2 years.

It will be a wonderful cruise to look forward to Marsden 1970, and I am sure it will go in a flash - or maybe that’s just because we are in our ‘twilight years’ and life is just rushing past way too quickly. 

• Like 1

What did you do today? Part 1

So what has everyone who stayed on board been doing today? Well here is a taster.

For those who enjoy a bit of a contest, there is a Speedy Sudoku Challenge in the Wheelhouse Bar at 10.15 am, followed by a Giant Jenga Challenge in the Atrium at 11.30 am. Those keen golfers can join in a Goofy Golf Putting Challenge by Neptune’s Reef and Pool at 12.15. There is a Pictionary Challenge at 1.45 pm in Explorers, followed by a Champagne Ring Toss Challenge at 2.15 pm in the Piazza, and a Lawn Bowling Tournament at 3.30 pm at Princess Links.

Movies Under the Stars kicks off with Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco at 10.00 am, followed by Concerts@Sea: The Who - Tommy - Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2017. Now I wonder if any of you have ever visited this amazing venue? It is absolutely splendid and very historic and well worth going to. If you ever get the chance to see a concert there then do take it. 

As for ‘Tommy,’ well, Ken Russell chose to film a large part of it in and around Portsmouth and Hayling Island, not too far from where we live. At the time I was a young student training to be a teacher in Portsmouth, and it was all very exciting, having the famous Ken Russell filming there.  

4BED7C25-9CF1-42D3-AD32-9843C1626A22.thumb.png.4eeac36eb0698fbf9979b229e5e16ddc.png

One scene was shot on Southsea Pier, in the Ballroom, but unfortunately, during filming, the hot lights set fire to the curtains and the pier burnt down. Ken Russell carried on filming, despite the conflagration, and incorporated it into the movie. The damage to the pier was estimated to be over £500,000, and unfortunately, although it was later rebuilt it was never the same again, as it lacked its beautiful Victorian detailing. 

So there is a little bit of trivia for you.

At 4.00 pm there is the chance to see Elton John in Concerts@Sea:Brits Icon. The evening movie, ‘Aquaman,’ is at 7.00 pm and is repeated at10.00 pm.

As you know, I am a great fan of the free Seminars and Treatments, and today there is plenty to enjoy. There is a Skin Care Seminar at 11.00 pm, followed by Walk In Hair Consultations at 4.00 pm, and there is a choice of either  Acupuncture Consultations at 5.00 pm in the Lotus Spa or Relieving Back, foot, knee pain and walking in comfort in the Wheelhouse Bar.  Another Skin Care Seminar is at 6.30 pm, and finally there are free Massage Tasters at 7.00 pm. So much choice! So much to do and so little time to do it in.

Now I know you will be asking, which ones did I attend today? And honestly, I really did intend going to several of them, but unfortunately I mislaid my Patter and didn’t know what was on until way too late. Add to that, two trips in the tenders to beautiful Lahaina, afternoon tea (now how could I miss that?) and getting ready for dinner, I’m afraid that I was woefully inadequate when it came to attending the seminars and treatments.

But of course, as I’ve said before, ‘After all, tomorrow is another day,’ and we have 5 glorious days ahead of us! Woo hoo!

We missed the Morning Trivia Challenge at 10.45 this morning as we went across to the island, but scraped into the Afternoon Trivia Challenge at 4.15 pm where we met up with our ‘gang’ to pit our wits against a large number of teams. We managed to fit in the Car Logo Trivia at 6.45 pm in Club Fusion, joining in with another group and did really well, but sadly, not good enough to win. During Dinner there is another Trivia, called Music Connection, where teams have to play detective and try to find the link between to seemingly random songs. We are sorry we miss that. 

• Like 2

Huge Roll Call already for the 28 day ,,,the Tour Company 

MAOHI NUI
Private & Group Tours
Lagoon Tours - Polynesian Lunch Feast
4x4 Tours
Po Box 261 - Vaitape 98730 Bora Bora - French Polynesia
Cell: (689) 87 79 19 11

You can google it and find E Mail however there is a lady on the Roll call organizing the tour ....

• Like 1

I love tea time.  Will be joining you on our voyage home.  I wish they would have apricot jam or marmalade instead of raspberry.  So I eat them just with cream.  I split them in half so that I can have more cream.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I love tea time.  Will be joining you on our voyage home.  I wish they would have apricot jam or marmalade instead of raspberry.  So I eat them just with cream.  I split them in half so that I can have more cream.  

I just want the cream.🐷

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 4:08 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Glad to have you along, cr8tiv1, especially for afternoon tea.  I am just imaging those scones.......

What did you do today? Part 2

628A2EBC-4AF4-40DF-A931-974C61B2D7CC.thumb.jpeg.a43262ecd81724d9b1c1ed7107564e20.jpeg

As usual there is plenty of live music around the place so here is a quick rundown:

Richard Sulek plays Piano Favourites at 5.00 pm in the Piazza

He is in the Wheelhouse Bar at 8.00 pm and 10.45 pm for Piano and Cocktails.

Mary Simon is a lady we haven’t heard before but she is very good, and she can be found in the Outrigger Bar at 5.00 pm for a Farewell to Hawaii. Later she plays songs from the 70’s in the Wheelhouse Bar at 9.00 pm. Finally she can be found in Explorers at 10.30 pm. If you get the chance, don’t miss her!

Evening Melodies with Souvenir Duo starts at 6.00 pm in the Piazza and we really enjoy listening to them before we do the car logo trivia. They continue to entertain in the Wheelhouse Bar with Music and Cocktails at 7.00 pm, followed by Evening Melodies in the Piazza at 8.45 pm and 9.30 pm.

Tommy McPhee entertains in Crooners at 7.45 pm and 8.45 pm, and later at 9.30 until late.

The Main Offenders offer Music and Dancing in Explorers at 8.30 pm, and later in Club Fusion at 10.30 pm.  However, they can also be found in Club Fusion at 9.30 pm for Hot Latin Night with the Cruise Director and team, for line dancing, conga, ‘and more!’

If you like to dance, then there is pre-recorded Ballroom and Latin Dance music in Explorers at 6.45 pm, DJ11 can be found in Club Fusion at 8.30 pm for Latin Night, and later in Skywalkers at 10.00 pm for Disco Fever, where he continues to play Favourite Dance Music at 11.00 pm until late.

Now if you are a Karaoke fan there is the Karaoke Power Hour at 7.30 pm.

Phew! Now that’s a lot to choose from.

The Spotlight Showtime stars Paul Hughes, who offers a ‘Classic Repertoire of Vibrant Swing Material.’  Sadly, this is not up our street. There are two performances at 6.30 and 8.30 pm, but we give both a miss, I’m afraid.

As we sail away from Hawaii it is time for dinner, and as usual, there is a good selection. 

96544257-870D-4BA5-A631-914CAE94C25D.thumb.jpeg.dfb59b2f57c3c6e18dea704e92f2e10e.jpeg

19DCC8BF-E8CD-471F-A3FB-7D7F1AE8593D.thumb.jpeg.d541d867c38662f5e860753b19b883cb.jpeg

2DADC185-4B5F-4630-A59F-EC466F682B11.thumb.jpeg.b94b0aa97feb78ba4ee3a51905cddc80.jpeg

Perhaps it is the excitement of leaving our final Hawaiian island, or maybe I just forgot, but the only things I took photos of were our desserts, and very delicious they were too! 

5E29106D-BD22-4203-A837-F8B92C3FE5E1.thumb.jpeg.bda4f2b5480f2868bc7047e1b8f477af.jpeg

70B09A40-CCD8-4DCD-9A24-F4CDFFD17100.thumb.jpeg.41b48837bc939eb4098a9d53f4afdbde.jpeg

After dinner we stroll along to the Wheelhouse Bar to listen to some 70’s music from Mary Simon.

Then it’s a quick cup of that golden nectar, tea, and we make our way back to our cabin for an early night.

Now we have some sea days ahead of us, with plenty of relaxation, plus some Easter events, before we reach our final port, Ensenada. 

What could be better? 

I hope that our American friends have had a good Memorial Weekend.

Here in the UK we are on ‘Half Term’ when our schools shut for the week, and we have a Bank Holiday Monday. The rain has finally stopped and we are, at last, seeing some lovely sunshine.

Now, my dear Cruising Adventurers, I have a small favour to ask.

So many of you have been regular vacationers to Hawaii, and I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to share some photos of some of the places you have experienced in Maui?

We did not have time to visit the Haleakala National Park or the Iao Valley State Park, but perhaps some of you will have taken photos on your visits?

If you have any photos of Maui, please please share them with us.

Thank you!   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You're killing me posting pix of menus. I want it all!!!

I've never seen some of those dishes.

We miss so much about cruising, don’t we? 

We felt that the food onboard Ruby Princess was very good with an extensive menu each evening, which included many Hawaiian dishes. 

I don't have photos but here are my experiences of Maui.

My brother was part of the group that built the Maui Marriott in Lahaina.  I was there for the grand opening.  9 months later, my youngest was born.  (Too much information?)

I have seen the sunrise at Haleakala.  I've lived in cold.  It WAS definitely cold.  Had my down parka, hotel blankets, and was still freezing.  Spectacular.  Too old now to get up that early.  Sunsets and stars are the way to go.

I was on an NCL cruise and did the road to Hana.  Once was enough.

I have been on a foodie tour of Maui (Maui Potato chips, manju, guri guri ice cream) pre Krispy Kreme days.  

At one time, Hawaiian Airlines had an all island pass (8 days) for $100.  Flew from island to island.  Visited Kauai, Kona, Hilo, and Lahaina.  

And of course, courtesy of Princess.  To be honest, Maui is not my favorite island.  

• Like 1