Jump to content

Opinions needed please regarding a Jan 3rd cruise


Recommended Posts

Hello. I understand nobody has a crystal ball but would like other cruisers opinions. I have a cruise booked on Jan 3rd. My last payment is due by Nov 4th. I know the no sail order is until the end of the month currently. I am trying to make the decision to go for it or if I should push the date of my cruise back. The cruise was a casino comp and will probably be one of my only chances to sail with my daughter. I don't know how a credit would come back to me if they do indeed cancel or if the cruise credit would cover enough for another cruise down the road. 

Should I pay the last payment and see what will happen? I am cruising out of California would the Governor be able to say we aren't allowed out of that port? Would it be best to see if they will allow us to push it back? I just don't know what to do and not familiar enough with cruising to know the ins and outs. 

Thank you in advance for any input. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re right.  No crystal balls. Your cruise is only slightly more than 2 months away. The way the virus is headed, I personally don’t see any way a cruise would be sailing by then.  Just the ship and crew prep would be a major undertaking.  No good answer for you.  But ever one will only be personal speculation. Mine, no way you will be sailing then.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My advise is similar to the previous poster.  I don’t think you will be sailing.  There is no way I would be sending more money to the cruise lines until it is much clearer that sailing is safely underway again.  I would cancel before final payment and ask for cash refund of any money you have paid.  If it’s a total casino comp and you’ve paid nothing so far, I still would not send them money.
 

Not all will agree.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be bold and say there's no way a cruise will be going out of California. The governor still won't let the big theme parks open. I'm not well versed on who has control over ports, but my guess is he would do whatever he can to not have cruises in January. Plus the consistent speculation is that cruises will start out of Florida and likely of the 3/4 day variety. 

 

It being a casino comp adds in a whole other set of problems. I was reading a thread on Royal's forum the other day and they don't offer anything but a refund to casino comps right now besides the option to pick some 3/4 day cruises out of Florida in Jan/Feb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as the cruise going ahead, you've also got to think if you can travel to embarkation port. If you need to travel interstate or international I would be reluctant.

If you haven't outlaid too much I'd lean towards cutting my losses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, I think we will hear in the next few days about cruises in January and I suspect they will be cancelled. So, unlike most of the other posters, I would say to wait a couple days. 

OP, I have had 3 cruises cancelled this year by NCL because of COVID. They are all CAS cruises, for which I paid port fees and taxes, and the administrative fee. I waited until NCL cancelled and got the FCC, which I applied to three cruises next year, which hopefully will go. I, like you, have a cruise scheduled for January, again, a CAS comped cruise, (not a rescheduled cruise) for which I've paid all the port fees and taxes and admin fees. I don't think it will go, and I will take the FCC and will likely schedule a similar cruise in 2022, since I already have 3 others scheduled for 2021.

The three rescheduled cruises were very easy to do with a NCL  personal assistant. I was able to get the cruises I wanted, and actually got a great free upgrade on one of my cruises to an Aft Penthouse Balcony Suite (from an inside cabin). The future cruise credit with the 25% bonus paid for all three of the cruises in full, and a little extra (that helped pay the fees for the January cruise). And they were all originally CAS comped cruises. 

I was somewhat surprised how easy it was to reschedule, and that I still had the opportunity to just have the payments I already made applied to the new bookings. 

Even if you do cancel your cruise, I would suggest you try to call NCL to reschedule so that you and your daughter can enjoy a cruise in the future. Good luck!!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

As well as the cruise going ahead, you've also got to think if you can travel to embarkation port. If you need to travel interstate or international I would be reluctant.

If you haven't outlaid too much I'd lean towards cutting my losses.

IMO, wanting to cruise with a daughter/family is so kind and loving, however, I think  you need to consider the consequences.  I'm a senior and would love to cruise with my son(s), however, I'd consider the consequences first.  

In my opinion, I'd defer to your wonderful daughter and ask her opinion. 

If your daughter has no opinion, I'd cancel your cruise and accept your full refund in hopes of scheduling another cruise in the future. 

Family is so important but, it goes both ways. My son is important to me as I'm important to him... hopefully the same holds true of your family. 

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

No cruises IMO going for a very long time, do not invest anymore money and have to wait for a hopeful refund.  Wish it wasn't so, but don't have a crystal ball, but we still got a rough road to get through before we get back to our very favorite vacation, CRUISING!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok now that all the doomsdayers have given you their opinion on questions you didnt ask, like how you should make health based decisions in a pandemic for your family, here’s some facts:

 

Escape and Joy will be picking up crew starting in Manila and working its way west over the course of almost two months stopping along the way to pick up crew and provision. They were supposed to leave on the 23rd. They have not as of yet. Therefore the expected dayes of arrival in South Florida are Christmas and New Years, IF they left today. NCL is in no rush to be the first back. They will use crew to test proceudres before they sail with revenue. It will take a couple of weeks to get crew disseminated and trained  on the vessels they will be assigned to once they arrive. Youre well into January and beyond at that point. 

 

Another fact: There has not been an answer from CDC as of yet. CDC wanted a Feb 15 shut down, WH said NO we will have a Oct 1 one month extension only, the election is days away and the outcome will have two completely different mandates on cruising- Open or Closed for a while. Plus, Congressional Subcommitte on Marine Safety has ordered an investigation into this over ruling of the CDC and looking deeply into all communications leading to it feom ALL parties including the cruise lines. When you put that together you get uncertainty at least until Nov 3 as to a go no go decision and the cruise lines and NCL will not move a single asset until that order is definitively lifted. 

 

Those are the facts. I hope you and others benefit from knowing these facts in your planning.  

 

This crisis is different for everyone and, so many on here will attempt to shame you into seeing it their way, which is sad. 

 

Whatever you do I wish you safety and JOY (ok pun intended) when you do sail again. 

 

Oh lastly, your first voyages will be Florida based departures for probably a few months. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a CAS cruise end of April. It’s a TA. So I have to hope the ship needs to get to Amsterdam for it to happen. Lots of variables with a TA. Mine isn’t a total comp. but still a great deal.  I had to cancel 1 CAS cruise from Sept. hopefully they will give you an extension to make final payment. My final payment is due in December and I’m hoping that we get an extension. Good luck 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kclovesken said:

Hello. I understand nobody has a crystal ball but would like other cruisers opinions. I have a cruise booked on Jan 3rd. My last payment is due by Nov 4th. I know the no sail order is until the end of the month currently. I am trying to make the decision to go for it or if I should push the date of my cruise back. The cruise was a casino comp and will probably be one of my only chances to sail with my daughter. I don't know how a credit would come back to me if they do indeed cancel or if the cruise credit would cover enough for another cruise down the road. 

Should I pay the last payment and see what will happen? I am cruising out of California would the Governor be able to say we aren't allowed out of that port? Would it be best to see if they will allow us to push it back? I just don't know what to do and not familiar enough with cruising to know the ins and outs. 

Thank you in advance for any input. 

If it were us, we would make the final payment and take our chances. 

 

The most recent cancellation of November cruises was via refund to credit cards plus at 10% off a future cruise (which is pretty useless if you are booking CAS Comps). Prior to that, you had the option a FCC+kicker or cash refund. In either case (an no one knows what NCL will do with future COVID cancellations), you could get cash back or worst case a FCC to use on a future cruise.  

 

What's at stake, you have your admin fee and port charges. Plus any money you put down for an upgrade. Not a lot of money on a comp'ed cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have an NCL cruise departing January 3rd (but from Miami). At this point, at least according to the NCL website, the cruise is still on, i.e. hasn't been cancelled and we've received nothing from NCL to suggest that. That being said, my wife and I made the decision to talk with our travel agent, who suggested we wait until the beginning of next month to see whether the No Sail Order is lifted. Our plan is as follows: if the cruise goes on, we'll sail. If NCL cancels, we'll take FCC or a refund, whatever they offer, and I have started working on a backup plan just in case. I see that a number of people have declared that you will not sail on Jan 3rd. Well, they're entitled to their opinion, but unless they know for certain (and no one can, at this point), I'd take their advice with a grain of salt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot imagine anyone even thinking about sailing now, or in the  next few months. The numbers on Covid are all going in the wrong direction. OP should cancel now, because I doubt that an early January cruise is going to sail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cuterlmt said:

OP, I think we will hear in the next few days about cruises in January and I suspect they will be cancelled. So, unlike most of the other posters, I would say to wait a couple days. 

OP, I have had 3 cruises cancelled this year by NCL because of COVID. They are all CAS cruises, for which I paid port fees and taxes, and the administrative fee. I waited until NCL cancelled and got the FCC, which I applied to three cruises next year, which hopefully will go. I, like you, have a cruise scheduled for January, again, a CAS comped cruise, (not a rescheduled cruise) for which I've paid all the port fees and taxes and admin fees. I don't think it will go, and I will take the FCC and will likely schedule a similar cruise in 2022, since I already have 3 others scheduled for 2021.

The three rescheduled cruises were very easy to do with a NCL  personal assistant. I was able to get the cruises I wanted, and actually got a great free upgrade on one of my cruises to an Aft Penthouse Balcony Suite (from an inside cabin). The future cruise credit with the 25% bonus paid for all three of the cruises in full, and a little extra (that helped pay the fees for the January cruise). And they were all originally CAS comped cruises. 

I was somewhat surprised how easy it was to reschedule, and that I still had the opportunity to just have the payments I already made applied to the new bookings. 

Even if you do cancel your cruise, I would suggest you try to call NCL to reschedule so that you and your daughter can enjoy a cruise in the future. Good luck!!! 

 

Do you know the best number to call to speak with an agent regarding this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kclovesken said:

Do you know the best number to call to speak with an agent regarding this? 

Yes, I called the CAS program, which is 1-877-742-9528. They do have specific hours that they are open. I have had absolutely great experiences with those consultants, except for one. And I've gotten through very quickly, within a few minutes of calling usually, even during all the chaos of cancelled cruises. 

Good luck! and happy sailing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

We also have an NCL cruise departing January 3rd (but from Miami). At this point, at least according to the NCL website, the cruise is still on, i.e. hasn't been cancelled and we've received nothing from NCL to suggest that. That being said, my wife and I made the decision to talk with our travel agent, who suggested we wait until the beginning of next month to see whether the No Sail Order is lifted. Our plan is as follows: if the cruise goes on, we'll sail. If NCL cancels, we'll take FCC or a refund, whatever they offer, and I have started working on a backup plan just in case. I see that a number of people have declared that you will not sail on Jan 3rd. Well, they're entitled to their opinion, but unless they know for certain (and no one can, at this point), I'd take their advice with a grain of salt.

Thank you I am thinking that is the route I will take as well. I appreciate all the input and I understand everyone's feelings on this issue. I am hoping for a fcc toward another cruise down the road. Otherwise fingers crossed without holding my breath lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 6:06 PM, Kclovesken said:

 My last payment is due by Nov 4th.

Should I pay the last payment and see what will happen? I am cruising out of California would the Governor be able to say we aren't allowed out of that port? Would it be best to see if they will allow us to push it back? I just don't know what to do and not familiar enough with cruising to know the ins and outs. 

Thank you in advance for any input. 

 

No one has a crystal ball. Given you are on a message board I'm sure you realize most people are just sharing their opinion. Here is mine:

I would not make final payment on any cruise, especially NCL. From a financial standpoint, it appears to me that NCL is positioned the worst out of the big three to survive Covid19 regardless when cruising resumes. I believe some restructuring is inevitable. It is unlikely FCC's will be protected with restructuring. I would advise to wait until the very last minute to see if/when NCL makes the announcement that your Jan 3 cruise is cancelled. If no announcement is made before final payment, my advise is to take a cash refund and wait it out.

 

As much as I want cruising to resume by January, and as much as I want all cruise lines to survive financially, my belief is that neither will be a reality when the dust settles.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I am on the same cruise from California on Jan 3.   We plan to reevaluate if it gets cancelled.  We also had Baltics planned for June 21 and I am thinking that isn't such a good idea.  We'll probably cancel that outright before final payment and rebook with our FCC for June 22.  I am thinking about a different cabin type as well, since we will essentially combine 2 cruises.

 

We have Disneyland booked for my daughter's 8th around New Year's Eve too - pretty sure that won't happen either.

 

PM

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

 

 

As much as I want cruising to resume by January, and as much as I want all cruise lines to survive financially, my belief is that neither will be a reality when the dust settles.

 

 

I'm beginning to give serious thought as to whether the lines are going to survive without chapter 11.  It's getting worse at the moment, not better.  I believe NCL said back at the beginning they had enough cash to make it 18 months.  And that is with huge loans at high interest rates, which payments will be required soon.  Even if they do get started slowly in a few months, and that's not for sure, it will be with a very few ships and probably reduced volume of guests.  The profit won't be there like before, and all the rest of their ships, etc will still be eating into the cash rapidly.  We need a cure or a good vaccine soon or I think they will be bankrupt.  Of course....opinion as always......because there is no fact.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on a  Jan 3rd cruise leaving NYC. Fully paid and have decided that our chances of sailing are Slim to None. So we have booked cruises for Oct 21 and Jan 23 and are planning to apply the credit and FCC  to those cruises. As for the governors we seem to  a couple winners on our hand (sarcasm). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As much as I want cruising to resume by January, and as much as I want all cruise lines to survive financially, my belief is that neither will be a reality when the dust settles.

 

Man, I hope this is not the case. I think a safe & effective vaccine available to everyone by spring or summer of 2021 will save the cruise lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

 

Man, I hope this is not the case. I think a safe & effective vaccine available to everyone by spring or summer of 2021 will save the cruise lines.

The might be available to everyone by summer 2021, but it will take 6-8 months for people to get them. And no telling yet if you will need 1 or 2 a year

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...