CDC Lifts Cruise Ban

molly361

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Your dentist wasted $50K, there is zero scientific evidence that UV ventilation does anything (nor is there any evidence the virus can live in or be spread by heating and cooling air handlers)

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I never said UV light wasn’t effective, we have been using it in the OR and ER for about 30 years. The UV concentration able to be gained in a air handling system is not sufficient to kill any pathogen as compared to the amount of air volume generated. If it did hospitals built in the last 20 years or so would have been designed with this system as standard, instead they use portable machines that roll room to room and perform a UV sanitation cycle that precludes a human being even being inside the same room as the machine during its operation.  

My apologies, I guess I misunderstood "wasted $50K" and "zero scientific evidence that UV ventilation does anything".

Are you sure you are talking about "in-line Duct Sterilizers".  These are not the same as those used near the coils.  The EPA has tested them at various points and rated their efficiency against 2 bacteria and 1 bacterial virus.  

I have no knowledge of operating room, ER, or other health care uses.  They are fairly common in new commercial buildings, so I do think there would likely be some benefit in a dentist office. 

I am happy to change your score to 2 of 3.  

12 minutes ago, Domino D said:

My apologies, I guess I misunderstood "wasted $50K" and "zero scientific evidence that UV ventilation does anything".

Are you sure you are talking about "in-line Duct Sterilizers".  These are not the same as those used near the coils.  The EPA has tested them at various points and rated their efficiency against 2 bacteria and 1 bacterial virus.  

I have no knowledge of operating room, ER, or other health care uses.  They are fairly common in new commercial buildings, so I do think there would likely be some benefit in a dentist office. 

I am happy to change your score to 2 of 3.  

Fair enough, I have little knowledge of commercial buildings

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I read the entire document and am not happy about the possibility of a shipwide lockdown if a single case of Covid pops up.  Not appealing at all.  I just emailed C&A and told them if this rule stays I will be cancelling a March cruise before the final payment is due in December. 

20 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I'm sure C&A will be devastated. 

Gee, "fyree39" -- that was cruel (but, oh, so funny).

We are having a hard time deciding whether or not you should have withheld your sarcasm!

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, as of this afternoon they can stop believing. Now we will be hearing from the January believers.

I am a tingle thinking about the "I told it would be (insert month here)" threads that are to come on the day it happens. 

Edited by Domino D

• 1 month later...

Can a foreign flagged vessel even apply to sail under the CSO?

Looking over the CSO on page 28:

Applying for a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate.

• (4) A copy of the USCG Certificate of Inspection issued in accordance with 46 CFR § 2.01-5 that was in effect for the six months preceding the application.

46 CFR § 2.01-5 appears to apply only to United States vessels.

46 CFR § 2.01-6 applies to foreign flagged vessels.

Does anyone with knowledge of USCG process know if a foreign flagged vessel can apply for a certificate under 46 CFR § 2.01-5 ?

§ 2.01–5 Certificate of inspection. (a) Issuance of certificates. Upon completion of the inspection of a United States vessel, and on condition that the vessel and its equipment are approved by the inspector, a certificate of one or more of the following Coast Guard forms is issued by the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection: (1) CG–841—Certificate of Inspection. (2) CG–854—Temporary Certificate of Inspection

§ 2.01–6 Certificates issued to foreign vessels. (a) Issuance of certificates. Upon completion of an examination of a foreign vessel, one or more of the following certificates is issued by the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection: (1) CG–4504—Control Verification for Foreign Vessel—issued to a foreign vessel that is registered in a country which is signatory to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974. (2)(i) CG–2832A—Letter of Compliance—issued to a foreign vessel that is suitable for carriage of hazardous cargoes in bulk as defined in 46 Code of Federal Regulations, subchapter 0 and is in compliance with Tankship Cargo Venting and Handling Systems and Minimum Pollution Prevention Regulations and Transfer Procedures (33 CFR parts 155, 156, 157 and 159), and Navigation Safety Inspection Regulations (33 CFR part 164).

Edited by twangster

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Does anyone with knowledge of USCG process know if a foreign flagged vessel can apply for a certificate under 46 CFR § 2.01-5 ?

No, they can't, but this is just another instance of regulatory typos.  This is an example of one agency trying to specify a regulation from another agency.  I'm sure the cruise line lawyers have already notified the CDC of the error.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2