Well this a good first step cdc lifts ban kind of

bikerunner

6 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Sounds like my 9-night Equinox cruise in May is in jeopardy. Let’s hope some decision is known before final payment is due in February.

mac_tlc

Honestly, I think you're on the cusp.  It depends if there's a vaccine out by then, actually one out for months prior to your cruise.  Granted, way too many people are going to refuse to get the shot, but we shall see.

3 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Makes me think of all the announcements that will follow - instead of hearing "Will Mr/Ms X of Cabin X on X Deck please go to Guest Services immediately" it will be "Will Mr/Ms X of Cabin X on X Deck please go to the Testing Area immediately", because you just know some people will be uncooperative LOL.

I also wonder how much $ the tests will cost?

If I read the CDC guidelines correctly it will be the cruiseline for anything at boarding and on board.  A test before you travel to the port - you.

• Like 1

Yes, there are many, many conditions to be met by the cruise lines, and yes, it most likely will still take at least several months for any of the lines to actual set sail with passengers..... but it is a path forward...a beginning and with it hope that we will all be able to enjoy our favorite vacation again.  I am hopeful.

• Like 1

We are now a bit  more hopeful about  the possibility of taking our already  booked  Jan 2022 Reflection cruise ( lifted and shifted from Connie 2021).

But, the itin  is more than 7 days..Not sure how the finances/ partial refund would work if it was shortened....we already have lots of FCC we hope to use on that cruise.  Hope they would not cancel and make us start over again.....prices for a new suite booking( our first)  will be much higher!

Our ideal would be a short cruise, suite level, burn our FCC and retire from cruising....less stress!  There will be many folks  cruising  before our date, so we will monitor how things work out  for the brave cruisers who precede us!

Hope the political comments die down soon!

Read this line by line:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23792-cdc-to-require-simulated-voyages-here-s-what-they-are.html

"The cruise ship operator must conduct laboratory testing of all passengers and crew on the day of embarkation and the day of disembarkation as required by CDC technical instructions or orders. Laboratory test results must be available prior to passengers embarking and prior to passengers and crew departing for their final destinations after disembarking the ship. Crew and passengers must also be laboratory tested again post-disembarkation as required by CDC technical instructions or orders."

Imagine 2,000 to 5,000 passengers being tested prior to disembarkation.  How much equipment and staff would be required to process those tests in a timely fashion before passengers can begin disembarkation? And post disembarkation where... at the airport, a hotel, at home?

I’m looking forward to hearing what the new admins plan is?  Oh wait, there isn’t one.  

as I’ve noted before, last I checked this was a cruising board.  If I had no intention of cruising again, why would I continue to be on a cruising board.  This board is a great resource to me and hope it continues to be so.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Argo. said:

Read this line by line:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23792-cdc-to-require-simulated-voyages-here-s-what-they-are.html

"The cruise ship operator must conduct laboratory testing of all passengers and crew on the day of embarkation and the day of disembarkation as required by CDC technical instructions or orders. Laboratory test results must be available prior to passengers embarking and prior to passengers and crew departing for their final destinations after disembarking the ship. Crew and passengers must also be laboratory tested again post-disembarkation as required by CDC technical instructions or orders."

Imagine 2,000 to 5,000 passengers being tested prior to disembarkation.  How much equipment and staff would be required to process those tests in a timely fashion before passengers can begin disembarkation? And post disembarkation where... at the airport, a hotel, at home?

Agree,  it does not seem like a very workable plan  unless they severely limit capacity.

Where would  passengers be pre tested? By  whom? When?

And if one tests positive ( pre or post cruise)..then what happens ..for them, their  luggage, others in their travel group ( spouse or others) ..where do they quarantine...

Is all this worth it for a vacation...?

Edited by hcat

4 hours ago, maggieq said:

I’m looking forward to hearing what the new admins plan is?  Oh wait, there isn’t one.  

as I’ve noted before, last I checked this was a cruising board.  If I had no intention of cruising again, why would I continue to be on a cruising board.  This board is a great resource to me and hope it continues to be so.  

If it is (and it is) a cruising site, why did you make your tongue in cheek political comment to start your post?

On 10/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, bikerunner said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article246754076.html

now just need to see the protocols officially in place. But it’s a good first step moving forward. It’s in the cruise lines hands now 

Don’t get your hopes up. All they did was reword the no sail order. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, the new Conditional Sailing Plan issued by the CDC has the following qualities:

It appears quite complex and comprehensive

It appears to respond to a request of the cruise industry, giving it a chance to prove to the world, that cruise ship sailing can be done safely and Covid free. (Thus erasing the sting suffered by the industry in the spring of 2020).

The reopening path will have hurdles and prove to be quite challenging. No doubt! 

The industry, cannot afford the negative impact, of getting it wrong. So, I am confident, that the industry will strictly follow health guidelines and take a slow progressive path to return to operations.

I don’t know yet what it means for our 14 nights, Northern Europe cruise in May 21. This revised order by the CDC seems to offer a ray of hope. Keeping my fingers crossed, since, in my opinion, no one can predict how the virus will evolve nor how people around the world will accept to follow health guidelines to win against the virus. 

People’s exposure level to the virus, will impact national decisions from countries, regarding for example, opening of ports and required quarantine pre or post cruise.

So, hope is in the air, finally, but the reopening of cruising is still in a very precarious/fragile mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:

In my opinion, the new Conditional Sailing Plan issued by the CDC has the following qualities:

It appears to respond to a request of the cruise industry, giving it a chance to prove to the world, that cruise ship sailing can be done safely and Covid free. (Thus erasing the sting suffered by the industry in the spring of 2020).

The reopening path will have hurdles and prove to be quite challenging. No doubt! 

The industry, cannot afford the negative impact, of getting it wrong. So, I am confident, that the industry will strictly follow health guidelines and take a slow progressive path to return to operations.

I don’t know yet what it means for our 14 nights, Northern Europe cruise in May 21. This revised order by the CDC seems to offer a ray of hope. Keeping my fingers crossed, since, in my opinion, no one can predict how the virus will evolve nor how people around the world will accept to follow health guidelines to win against the virus. 

People’s exposure level to the virus, will impact national decisions from countries, regarding for example, opening of ports and required quarantine pre or post cruise.

So, hope is in the air, finally, but the reopening of cruising is still in a very precarious/fragile mode.

Many good points in your post..

Like many gov regulatory plans, it may be too rigorous for strict compliance in the real world.

Hope your May cruise works out!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jg51 said:

We urge you to have a more positive attitude about a lot of things.  Please take into consideration the things we have mentioned above, which appear never to have crossed your mind.  Life is a lot more bearable if you try to be optimistic. 

Sorry to have to say this, but ... we have witnessed your negativity (especially some insulting, politically based comments) in various posts within various threads.  You certainly have the right to speak/write, but please consider not making the reading of this site even more burdensome to the rest of us, if you can possibly help it. 

It is extremely unpleasant for us, fellow CrCr members, to read posts full of whining and hand-wringing and pessimism of every imaginable kind.

Thank you.

Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with your message, this is a public forum where everyone’s input is welcome and acceptable as long as it doesn’t violate Cruise Critic posting rules. Period. 

In the event you believe there has been a violation of the posting rules, use the “report post” feature that will alert a moderator to review. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 4:10 PM, cachouonacruise said:

Isn't you bigger problem traveling to Europe?  Once you get there will you need to quarantine for 2 weeks?  Are you prepared for that?  I also remain suspicious about air travel.  For some reason social distancing rules are suspended on board an aircraft.  For some reason it's now safe to be sitting elbow to elbow with a stranger for several hours when I cannot sit next to the same person in an airport restaurant or bar.   The rate of air exchange won't help me if I'm sitting next to a covid positive person.  

I wouldn't plan on a May 2021 cruise in Europe if you need to fly across the Atlantic.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Isn't you bigger problem traveling to Europe?  Once you get there will you need to quarantine for 2 weeks?  Are you prepared for that?  I also remain suspicious about air travel.  For some reason social distancing rules are suspended on board an aircraft.  For some reason it's now safe to be sitting elbow to elbow with a stranger for several hours when I cannot sit next to the same person in an airport restaurant or bar.   The rate of air exchange won't help me if I'm sitting next to a covid positive person.  

I wouldn't plan on a May 2021 cruise in Europe if you need to fly across the Atlantic.

Regarding air travel, according to data in Canada reported by our top doctor, thanks to new measure taken by airlines, there has been no report in Canada of in-flight Covid contamination. So for the aircraft part of air travel, according to the doctor the risk is very low. This leaves us to weigh-in the risks at the airport and during transfers.

And you are correct about quarantines. I am watching that aspect very closely. If quarantines are still required upon arriving in Europe or upon return to Canada by February 2021 ( final payment); this would mean a no go for me. Also a no go, if the Canadian government still has in effect the official public guidelines to avoid non essential travel and to avoid cruise travel.

I am keeping a little bit of hope..... just a little bit. 

9 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Regarding air travel, according to data in Canada reported by our top doctor, thanks to new measure taken by airlines, there has been no report in Canada of in-flight Covid contamination. So for the aircraft part of air travel, according to the doctor the risk is very low. This leaves us to weigh-in the risks at the airport and during transfers.

And you are correct about quarantines. I am watching that aspect very closely. If quarantines are still required upon arriving in Europe or upon return to Canada by February 2021 ( final payment); this would mean a no go for me. Also a no go, if the Canadian government still has in effect the official public guidelines to avoid non essential travel and to avoid cruise travel.

I am keeping a little bit of hope..... just a little bit. 

I've heard all of the reports that air travel is safe, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.  I honestly don't think that a lot of effort has gone into tracing Covid cases back to aircraft.   One of two things is wrong.  Either it's safe for everyone to sit elbow to elbow at the airport bar and have a beer or it isn't safe to sit elbow to elbow next a stranger on an aircraft for a few hours.  The aircraft studies seem to focus on air exchange on a global basis, but I think if you push any of these "experts" they would admit it's dangerous to sit next to someone infected with Covid.  For me, air travel seems to me to be more dangerous than cruise travel because I can't social distance on an aircraft.

25 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I've heard all of the reports that air travel is safe, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.  I honestly don't think that a lot of effort has gone into tracing Covid cases back to aircraft.   One of two things is wrong.  Either it's safe for everyone to sit elbow to elbow at the airport bar and have a beer or it isn't safe to sit elbow to elbow next a stranger on an aircraft for a few hours.  The aircraft studies seem to focus on air exchange on a global basis, but I think if you push any of these "experts" they would admit it's dangerous to sit next to someone infected with Covid.  For me, air travel seems to me to be more dangerous than cruise travel because I can't social distance on an aircraft.

there have been many studies done on planes. In some countries such as Australia they publish flight numbers of any aircraft that has been recently flown by some who tested positive. in the US the mechanism in for the local health department to report any time someone that tests positives and has recently flown, to the CDC for tracking. Where I live the health department provided the flight numbers to the media and it was made public. So substantial tracking is taking place and a lot of study has been done.

There are only two documented cases on mass spread on an aircraft for Covid. One a flight from the US to Vietnam, and the other a Ryan air flight from Greece to the UK.

The primary reason is air flow from the top of the cabin to the floor. that pushes any virus down away from breathing areas. It also does rapid clearing of particles in about 6 minutes vs nearly an hour in a normal home.

the most dangerous period on a plane is during boarding when the air craft ventilation systems are usually not running.

now if the person next to you takes of their mask. faces you, and leans in to talk to you. well it will not protect you from that. but as long as they stay masked, and facing forward one should be fine.

Studies have show less exposure on a plane not socially distanced, than in an inside resturaunt with social distance. it's all in the air flow.

• Like 1