CDC lets no sail order expire October 30

The CDC still has its Level 3 travel notice warning on travel for cruise ships in place.  The lifting of the no sail order has lifted cruise stocks on a day when the market is down around 2%. 

According to Richard Fain on RCI's quarterly results call yesterday, they plan to start on two or three smaller ships, short itineraries with limited excursions. Sailings will initially target guests able to dive to the port. It's a start.

Edited by Roland4
6 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

I can't even swim well enough Roland.

Bummer!

But in the summer, you could drive to Seattle, if Vancouver doesn’t open.

In one of the articles that Tracie linked was the following statement:  "Cruises from the U.S. can be no longer than seven days. The CDC reserves the right to shorten cruises."

Does this refer to simulation cruises only or to regular cruises once they begin?

31 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

In one of the articles that Tracie linked was the following statement:  "Cruises from the U.S. can be no longer than seven days. The CDC reserves the right to shorten cruises."

Does this refer to simulation cruises only or to regular cruises once they begin?

Regular cruises once they begin. The CDC document is on their website.

There were 92000 new Covid cases today.

Does anyone really believe we can cruise safely?

No one wants to get on a cruise ship more than we do.

I just cannot imagine a scenario where ships can sail before mid 2021.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

The mass market boards paint a picture of a great stampede to board the ship. 

4 hours ago, bitob said:

I think many people can cruise safely. Now if „we“ can do the same, depends of many factors. It is a personal decision. Lets hope that ships will be able to cruise with those people who are willing to comply with the safety measures and who do not belong to the risk groups. 
Ships are sailing and the cruise industry is doing everything possible to come back. I think they deserve some trust. The problem can be when the ports start denying access again. In Europe at the moment the problem are restrictions to travel due to increased number of cases.
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

@BEAV Yeah, that's pretty much it. I believe it will be up to the passengers to make this work. If the cruise lines find they are powerless against passengers refusing to comply, cruising may be doomed inside the U.S. I can't speak for those from other countries, but the sense I get from so many is their right to cruise has been unfairly taken away and it's time to let them back on the ships, by God! So, I'm a skeptic that this'll work on the big ships.

When I read the reaction to all this on the luxury and premium lines, there is cautious optimism. It might be because so many on these lines have had or still have leadership positions and see these CDC requirements as something to take seriously and make work. It's a much different mindset on the luxury and premium boards than on the mass market boards. I've made it clear to DH that my days on mass market lines might be over and done with. Already canceled one Carnival cruise and we may ditch the second. We'll see.

Have you never met a rude person on a luxury cruise?  Or someone who thinks the rules do not apply to them?

There is no guaranty that folks on Crystal will be 100% compiiant with rules.

Will they self report if they have a fever or cough and end up being quarantined?  Maybe not.  Might miss the grand buffet or a good show.  

Sorry -- my understanding of human nature does not lead me to trust that we can rely on compliant fellow passengers.

33 minutes ago, bitob said:

Or someone who thinks the rules do not apply to them?

Will they self report if they have a fever or cough and end up being quarantined?  Maybe not.  Might miss the grand buffet or a good show.  

Unfortunately, we have been on too many cruises, attended too many concerts/theater/sports events, ate in many restaurants, flown on too many airplanes with other travelers that were half-coughing-up-a-lung, not covering their mouth when sneezing, spitting on the curb, going through Kleenex tissues and touching everything-in-sight without washing their hands, etc.

Self-indulgent bad behavior is not necessary restricted to cruise ships. 

Rob

If this outbreak is not contained as soon as possible, cruise lines and other (mainly leisure) travel industries will suffer greatly.  However, if any cruise line tries to re-start in a condition that could create multiple Diamond Princess situation could possibly contribute to a more abrupt and fast death of the cruise industry.  It is my opinion that controlling the outbreak is really the first step.  Obviously, learning about this (and other future) outbreaks, as well as preparing for a safe resumption of the cruises is both necessary and important at this time, but just "trying" to cruise in the current outbreak, I'm afraid is almost like doing an experiment knowing the results beforehand.

I live in a tourist destination and I spent a few hours on the main drag today socially distanced.

We had a Halloween Parade for cars.

The foot traffic was heavier than it's been.  I watched as people passed my place of business and mask wearing was about  50%. We are required to wear them.  Our numbers are up and we are at the stage of highest shut down.

Imagine if those people paid $10000 for a week's stay in a PH.  How will the butler serve them?  How will housekeeping maintain their room.? I honestly think it's going to be limited cooperation.  I spoke to someone yesterday who still thinks the virus is no bigger than getting a cold or simple flu.

I think we are not safe for a few years the way things are going.  We have to change our state of mind in order to be safe.  That's the real issue.  We won't be sailing until it's totally safe.