CDC lets no sail order expire October 30

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I honestly think it's going to be limited cooperation.

I agree.  Masks are mandatory where I am.  The majority (not all, by any means) "wear" them, but about half or more do not use them to cover their noses.

Cruising depends on the ports also. At this time I think Florida is the only state that might allow the ships to embark/disembark passengers. Then there is the issue of where will they go. In the Caribbean every island has different rules with some dependent on what country and even down to the state your from. Trips to no where are not allowed from US ports. I think short R/T cruises with a constant literary have the best chance of going now. Hapag Lloyd is having great success doing just that from Hamburg however for now just for German's. This is a complicated issue for all involved.

10 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We won't be sailing until it's totally safe.

Then you won't be sailing period.

You probably shouldn't even go to work....that's not "totally safe".  Or drive your car....that's not "totally safe".  Or get into your shower, or walk outdoors, or eat a piece of chicken, or just about everything in life.

IMO, this obsession with "safe" is killing both people and our spirit as independent people.  Think back to 2001, and how we became "safety" obsessed after the 9/11 attacks.  Emotion overruled facts and logic.  We instituted massive measures of "security theater", just to make people feel "safe".  Not that it has actually done anything real.  More air marshals have been arrested than the number of people the marshals have themselves arrested.  TSA fails hundreds of tests.  But the clamor to be "safe" was strong.

Today, we have people wearing a mask and rubber gloves and goggles -- while driving their own cars down the road.  We have pubs in the UK that must be closed if they just serve drinks, but if they somehow put a Cornish Pasty on a plate next to you, they aren't a source for virus spread.  Walking to your table in a restaurant requires a mask, but somehow you now become "safe" when sitting at your table and can take it off.  That virus is smart - it will find you if you are standing and moving, but somehow will leave you alone if you're sitting down.  And on and on and on.

Hopefully reason will overcome the paranoia.

54 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Then you won't be sailing period.

Hopefully reason will overcome the paranoia.

Highly probable.  My husband's age and risk factor is such that he won't go out to eat, he does not go out to shop, and the high numbers of covid in our community keep him home other than to walk in our community.   The potential is far less to get covid if we stay home.  We have friends who have been sick and friends who have died.   We have a young relative exposed at a very public event on national news because one selfish person was positive.  We hope that she and her unborn child are not testing positive as they have about 10 days left to quarantine

19 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Highly probable.  My husband's age and risk factor is such that he won't go out to eat, he does not go out to shop, and the high numbers of covid in our community keep him home other than to walk in our community.   The potential is far less to get covid if we stay home.  We have friends who have been sick and friends who have died.   We have a young relative exposed at a very public event on national news because one selfish person was positive.  We hope that she and her unborn child are not testing positive as they have about 10 days left to quarantine

Isn't being stuck at home alone just about as bad as being dead?

BTW, happy Medicare birthday!

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Isn't being stuck at home alone just about as bad as being dead?

BTW, happy Medicare birthday!

I am not stuck at home.  I am still working but safely socially distant.

Thank you - HB2U Marc!

3 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I am not stuck at home.  I am still working but safely socially distant.

Thank you - HB2U Marc!

I don't think I am ready to travel internationally yet. Heck, the places I want to go are now going through another lock down.

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I don't think I am ready to travel internationally yet. Heck, the places I want to go are now going through another lock down.

I am happy to go to work and grocery shop these days

3 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

At 100K cases a day, I think I will pass even if the cruise was free.

Edited by resistk

I’m actually very happy at home. I think your personality plays a big part. I go out to the post office, about every ten days, where everybody does know how to wear a mask. I meet two friends for lunch once a week, outside at a place with four picnic tables. We each sit at our own. 

I have no trouble entertaining myself; and on most days, I could use a few extra hours. I am not caught up on my phone calls nor my book-reading. YMMV.

15 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I actually don't feel safe going to work. I work in HigherEd. My city is having a surge and we have increased cases where I work. A lot of people this age may have COVID but not showing symptoms.

16 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Better you than me!

The numbers of  new COVID cases in the US and Europe should push Cruising as well as all group activities out of the future until EVERYONE has been vaccinated. 
Anyone else thinking 2023?

My state has a mask ordinance.  I feel *relatively* safe going out shopping for groceries.   Feel very safe going outside without a mask for my daily three to five mile walk.    I will not eat in at a restaurant.   Have friends who are pretty sure that's how they were infected with Covid.  Studies have shown the virus travels  through the AC and heating systems. 

Cruising?  No freaking way.  MAYBE the companies can make the ship safe, but port calls would negate that.   Since my primary reason for cruising is visiting ports, I'll pass until we have a vaccine and ports are open for visitors.