CDC only allowing 7 day cruises till Nov 2021

Jadn13

Seems although the ban was lifted it comes with many restrictions including only 7 day cruises till Nov 2021.

That’s not great for many of the itineraries currently being offered on various lines are over 7 days 

Edited by Jadn13

That's a year away, and the CDC has modified it's restrictions multiple times regarding cruising in the last 6 months.  I expect if the cruises 7 days and under, plus a vaccine, plus proper health protocols on board ships work out well, then the CDC will change this restriction before 11/2021. 

If not, then I would guess the cruises over 7 days will have their itineraries modified.  Too soon to really be firm about this.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Seems although the ban was lifted it comes with many restrictions including only 7 day cruises till Nov 2021.

That’s not great for many of the itineraries currently being offered on various lines are over 7 days 

Are you sure?  I can understand not allowing b2b cruises perhaps, but what possible reason would a longer cruise not be allowed?  Or what science could possible justify shorter cruise with more frequent turnovers. over a single longer cruise?  Just seems to increase the risk.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are you sure?  I can understand not allowing b2b cruises perhaps, but what possible reason would a longer cruise not be allowed?  Or what science could possible justify shorter cruise with more frequent turnovers. over a single longer cruise?  Just seems to increase the risk.

That’s a good question. I have 2 bb cruises in April 2021. 

Tom😀

46 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

33 minutes ago, trbarton said:

That’s a good question. I have 2 bb cruises in April 2021. 

Tom😀

I checked by reading the 40 page document.  I do not think it says anything about prohibiting B2B cruises.  

Page 32 does include a statement stating no cruises more than 7 days.

After I read the document, I do not feel any better about bureaucrats.  IMO it has a lot of B.S. stuff.  But I guess it is a start.  It comes across as a document that says - “I could not do what I wanted (keep it all shut down for a long time),  so I will show them”.  

Just my opinion.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

If ... if.. they limit cruises to 7 days, they would be limiting the time passengers passengers would be in full blown COVID.  If you board with a negative test, "they" might be hoping that you would not be really sick by the end of the 7 days.  Exposure, that's a different story.  

Events and policies are in constant change.  It will be interesting  to see how this all develops.  

• Like 1

If a cruise is limited to 7 days, the possibility of someone coming down with C-19 is greatly reduced.  Keep in mind, the cruise lines have a much more stringent reporting criteria to the CDC than do hotels or airlines.  If someone becomes ill on a 7 day cruise....they came on board with the illness.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, atchisog said:

Actually shortened cruises (7 days), given all of the precautions in guidelines, makes zero sense to me. You turn people over faster, increasing risk.

With a covid-19 incubation period being about 5  to 14 days, this gets the people off the ship before most can transmit the disease if any had become infected.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't understand this discussion at all?

How do you go on any cruise with virus cases on the rise all over the map?

Have you all decided you don't  care about getting sick and /or dying??

Well, your opinion is yours, not mine. Live alone  in a cave the rest of your life and you will be fine.

Edited by weedpindle
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I checked by reading the 40 page document.  I do not think it says anything about prohibiting B2B cruises.  

Page 32 does include a statement stating no cruises more than 7 days.

After I read the document, I do not feel any better about bureaucrats.  IMO it has a lot of B.S. stuff.  But I guess it is a start.  It comes across as a document that says - “I could not do what I wanted (keep it all shut down for a long time),  so I will show them”.  

Just my opinion.

Your home state of Illinois is on a huge upswing in the number of cases right now.

Not just an opinion, but fact.  But yeah, go ahead and 2nd guess what scientists and doctors feel are safe practices in order to bring cruising back.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.53.04 AM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It amazes me that these discussions seem to always devolve into someone's opinion of what the CDC or the cruiseline is doing right or wrong.  There are people who say that we are going to far and others saying we are not going far enough.  None of us can change the rules.    As a result, it is a waste of time to start a discussion of whether they have gone to far.

I would think the value of these boards would be to understand the rules that are being put in place  and the implications of them.  For example, it is good that someone reviewed the rules to get an understanding of the 7 day maximum cruise length.   This has a clear impact on many people and helps people who have not read the guidelines.

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of these boards, but I find the postings of value are those that provide information from more knowledgeable cruisers, versus someones opinion of what the CDC, Trump, or anyone else is doing.  Can watch CNN or Fox to get that stuff. 🙂

Sorry for the rant....

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't understand this discussion at all?

How do you go on any cruise with virus cases on the rise all over the map?

Have you all decided you don't  care about getting sick and /or dying??

I understand how you feel, we have been working in essential environment from the beginning.

For us, we are booking and Hoping for the best in the future.

Are we going immediately?  Noooooo I'm not.

Is my family Hoping to cruise later next year?  Yes we are.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

Well, your opinion is yours, not mine. Live alone  in a cave the rest of your life and you will be fine.

With the other option being going out and getting sick!?

If only the science backed your opinion.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.58.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.58.52 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t trust this directive one iota

The CDC top dog is a position appointed by the President and does not require Senate approval.

And this announcement miraculously came within a week of the election

You do the math.  Such a directive seems way to early

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Just my opinion.

That's what I got out of it too.  It's just lip service to keep the cruise lines quiet for a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

keep in mind that the CDC has the data on previous outbreaks on cruise ships, the length of the cruises and how the disease propagated. That data would have been used in the cruise length decision. Now the entire crew has to get tested every 7 says, As well as all  of the passengers. Tested when boarding and prior to disembarking. So 7 days is the not only the max cruise length, but also the max time between tests.

Edited by nocl

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

If a cruise gets an outbreak and is suspended wouldn't you have rather paid for a 7 day or less than a longer one?

I never thought of that. It may also turn into a longer cruise if the ship is denied entry to port.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

With the other option being going out and getting sick!?

If only the science backed your opinion.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.58.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.58.52 AM.png

Your graph may have had something to do with this. (Daily tests)

You read the new document and I guess you think it is reasonable and scientific based.  IMO it is bureaucratic B.S.,  but of course we will all have our opinions. 

25DA2469-D8B9-4864-924D-FC188E40B402.png

Edited by jagoffee