So I just booked a cruise for 2021...

46 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Yes but for  cheepy trip it all adds up  taxi each way to hotel  food for the day etc  and the 2 day cruises are not that cheep either   I will give it a miss and perhaps do the 5 day Tasmania one instead   I cannot do anything that goes to a foreign port as I am an alien so the better priced cruises are out 

You are an Alien and cannot go to a foreign port ? I do not understand. But are you not booked on Coral Princess half worldie in 2022? 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You are an Alien and cannot go to a foreign port ? I do not understand. But are you not booked on Coral Princess half worldie in 2022? 

Yvonne and Colin live in Australia, but are UK citizens. I believe they have to renew their visas to re-enter Australia after a cruise that goes to foreign ports. At the moment the Aust government isn't allowing 'foreigners' to enter Australia. That is probably what Yvonne is referring to.

Edited by Aus Traveller
4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yvonne and Colin live in Australia, but are UK citizens. I believe they have to renew their visas to re-enter Australia after a cruise that goes to foreign ports. At the moment the Aust government isn't allowing 'foreigners' to enter Australia. That is probably what Yvonne is referring to.

Copied, perhaps it is time they became citizens, make it a lot easier to go in and out. They can hold UK and Aussie passports.

Edited by NSWP

OK folks  Yes we are on 10 year 410  visa which enables us to go an come as often as we like without needing permission NORMALLY  but with the block against foreigners we could not do so now.  

As said normally we could never get permanent residency or citizenship due to our ages but 2 years ago those on our visa were offered the chance to buy PR for $147000 per couple  (medicals and etc being OK)  so we were not in a position to take up this very 'generous' offer.

So now we are waiting for the block on foreigners to lift so we can travel and hope by July 2022 it has done so   We love living here and do not want o go anywhere else so will renew our visa mid 2021 when it comes up for renewal 

3 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

OK folks  Yes we are on 10 year 410  visa which enables us to go an come as often as we like without needing permission NORMALLY  but with the block against foreigners we could not do so now.  

As said normally we could never get permanent residency or citizenship due to our ages but 2 years ago those on our visa were offered the chance to buy PR for $147000 per couple  (medicals and etc being OK)  so we were not in a position to take up this very 'generous' offer.

So now we are waiting for the block on foreigners to lift so we can travel and hope by July 2022 it has done so   We love living here and do not want o go anywhere else so will renew our visa mid 2021 when it comes up for renewal 

Thanks for the explanation, one learns something new every day.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:56 PM, Bowm54 said:

We certainly do. I thought Cash for Citizenship was a New Zealand speciality.

Yes I was amazed charging Brits to live here, very wrong, brits colonised this country, wrong to charge people from mother england, yet we allow people in free from some other nations, gratis.

Edited by NSWP
29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes I was amazed charging Brits to live here, very wrong, brits colonised this country, wrong to charge people from mother england, yet we allow people in free from some other nations, gratis.

I think the issue comes when anyone over a certain age wants to become a Permanent Resident or citizen. The Aust government considers what they will cost the country in pensions and other subsidies.

In my hard experience,  a number of people from a certain country whom did not like living equally amongst those they considered their inferiors easily obtained NZ citizenship.

Once citizenship was obtained they then migrated to the real target, Australia.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think the issue comes when anyone over a certain age wants to become a Permanent Resident or citizen. The Aust government considers what they will cost the country in pensions and other subsidies.

That is true.

6 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

In my hard experience,  a number of people from a certain country whom did not like living equally amongst those they considered their inferiors easily obtained NZ citizenship.

Hate to say but in the back door via NZ, the Pacific Islanders. All wrong.

33 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

I realise this isn't what you were referring to, but, using NZ as a back door entry to Australia is the reason the Aust government refused NZs offer to take some of the asylum seekers who are in detention after refusing to go back to their homelands. A strange point was that after President Trump agreed to accept some of these people (honouring Pres Obama's agreement), several of them refused to go to USA because the social security payments are not as generous as in Australia.

BTW, I don't want to start a debate on whether we should have open doors to anyone who wants to come.

Edited by Aus Traveller
12 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

I’m not referring to any type of Pacific Islander.

We will say those who live around the Pacific then, lol.  I have had plenty of experience with them in Greater Sydney, believe me. To be fair, good and bad.. 👮‍♂️

Edited by NSWP
18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We will say those who live around the Pacific then, lol.  I have had plenty of experience with them in Greater Sydney, believe me. To be fair, good and bad.. 👮‍♂️

Not anywhere near the Pacific, Europe the Middle East or Asia.

Edited by Bowm54
3 hours ago, NSWP said:

On the other hand, when we travel to UK we have to enter as "aliens".

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

On the other hand, when we travel to UK we have to enter as "aliens".

Hard to accept when I used to have a British passport like all Australians.  Love those speedy entry aisles at immigration, where you can forget you are an alien

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Hard to accept when I used to have a British passport like all Australians.  Love those speedy entry aisles at immigration, where you can forget you are an alien

Aussies and Kiwis can now go through the non alien lines with the Brits, ie LHR.

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have never had a British passport - maybe I am not old enough 😁. I got my first passport in 1980.

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think technically they were Australian passports just with "British Passport" stamped on the front.

They stopped issuing those in 1967.

I think 1948 was when aussie passports were established, before then british ones.

7 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think technically they were Australian passports just with "British Passport" stamped on the front.

They stopped issuing those in 1967.

My first trip overseas was in 1969.  We entered Britain through British queue at airport. 

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think 1948 was when aussie passports were established, before then british ones.

I got my first Aussie passport in 1969. Strangely, it was stamped "NOT VALID IN NORTH VIETNAM".