Santorini in a day.

DavietheScot

1 hour ago, marazul said:

There are always taxis waiting at Athinios when the ferries arrive.

A taxi from Athinios to Oia might work if the timing is right.  However, if you do that, or rent a car there,  check with your cruise line beforehand to make sure you can take a tender boat going to (and coming from) Athinios at times that will work for you and the rental company.  If your cruise line has ship excursions by coach, the tender boats WILL be going to Athinios as well as Skala quay for the tram/donkeys.  But the tenders don't necessarily carry passengers going to both locations on the same boat. When I was there (on Viking, at least a few years ago) the cruise line organized announced "independent" tenders that were separate from the ones going to Athinios.  What other cruise lines have done, I don't know. But I would definitely ask a lot of questions to make sure you don't get stuck somewhere!

On 10/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, glentally said:

I will be coming from Athens on a High Speed Ferry and bringing one piece of luggage.  

Can I bring my luggage on the cable car?  Did anyone see people like me getting off the large Ferries with luggage?

Yes you can bring your luggage on the cable car.   I saw many people doing so last week.  (pack light, it's cobblestones/ very uneven pavement)  the Cable  Car  fee cost 6 Euro per person and 3.5 Euro per piece of luggage.  Have a great trip.  

1 hour ago, MMsteffey said:

Yes you can bring your luggage on the cable car.   I saw many people doing so last week.  (pack light, it's cobblestones/ very uneven pavement)  the Cable  Car  fee cost 6 Euro per person and 3.5 Euro per piece of luggage.  Have a great trip.  

You are missing the point.  The OP is arriving by ferry, he is not on a cruise.  The ferries dock at the ferry port where he walks out and there are cars (rentals and taxis) and buses to take him to his hotel. Cruise ships tender to a different port where the cable car is. Yes, it may be possible to carry suitcases in the cable car, but the OP is not going there. He obviously intends to stay in Santorini, not return to a cruise ship the same day.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are arriving via cruise at dropped off at the old port.  Sip arrives at 8 am and departs at 10pm. Does anyone recommend a good tour that can show us the best of Santorini?  Of course include Oia, Fira, red and black beaches, spend some time a hot springs and see sunset.  From what I am reading there is a real concern getting back to the ship on time keeping in mind the cable car lines and tender boat lines.  Anyone who has been to Santorini can help us?  We are so confused. 🤯

16 hours ago, Zosia said:

We are arriving via cruise at dropped off at the old port.  Sip arrives at 8 am and departs at 10pm. Does anyone recommend a good tour that can show us the best of Santorini?  Of course include Oia, Fira, red and black beaches, spend some time a hot springs and see sunset.  From what I am reading there is a real concern getting back to the ship on time keeping in mind the cable car lines and tender boat lines.  Anyone who has been to Santorini can help us?  We are so confused. 🤯

Can't help with pre-booked tours, but there are tour operators, taxis, vans & such in Fira, right by the top cablecar station & the top of the zig-zag path up from the tender pier. Plenty of vans to Oia - simple transfer with return an hour or two later.

Quad-bikes too - so if that appeals, take your driving licence with you.

Yes, depending on the number of ships there can be a long line for the cablecar back down to the pier.

Difficult to forecast - "Who's in port" websites are frequently inaccurate. And most ships depart much earlier than your 10pm sailing, so are irrelevant.  Best to check on-the-day. 

"Last tender" will almost-certainly be 60 minutes before your 10pm advertised sailing time.

If you are tolerably mobile you can walk down the zig-zag path in 30 minutes or less. Steps are wide & tolerably shallow. And there's a waist-high wall so you won't plummet from top to bottom in world-record time 🙃. Few donkeys, if any, that time of day and donkey-poo wil be dust by then, but a few stones are super-smooth & slippery - best to use the wall as a hand-rail.

So if you are happy to walk down, be at the top cable-car station about 40 minutes before "last-tender time" - if the line for the cablecar is short you have that choice, if not then you have time to walk down.

But if the zig-zag path isn't for you, then you need to very carefully check whether folk will be heading for other ships at the same time and allow for that.

But a line for the tender is immaterial.🙂

You just have to be on the pier by last-tender time - the tenders will continue past last-tender time if necessary to mop-up the line.

(We've seen folk tack sheepishly onto the back of the line after last tender time - but if the line's finished by the time they arrive....... 😮)

Check sunset time for your date - but the strong probability is that you won't have time to view it from iconic sites between Fira and Oia.

Depending on sunset time, there's a bar with great sunset views right by the top cablecar station, or you can view as you walk down the zig-zag path.

But if the timing is iffy, aim to be on deck back on board for the sunset

JB 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2021 at 10:07 PM, Hlitner said:

I actually think a first time visitor might do well to look on the pier (after they get off their tender) for boat service directly to Oia (this has been discussed here on CC many time).  If a boat is running they will likely provide the boat transfer directly to the pier below Oia, transportation up the hill to the town, and some kind of later bus transportation from Oia back to Fira.  If folks want to go to Oia this deal makes a lot of sense with the only negative being that you might get to Oia before many places have opened (that is why the Greek Gods invented cafes and coffee).

If this does not work out then using a taxi or bus (between Fira and Oia) is the other option.  I do recommend that any first time visitor try to get to Oia for at least a couple of hours.  Just be forewarned that touring Oia (or Fira) is all about walking.  If you are mobility challenged you need to consider some other options.  There is just no other way to enjoy Fira and Oia (the two major towns on the island) other then on foot.

Hank

What would you estimate the cost for my husband and I to boat to Oia, transportation up to Oia, taxi to Fira?  Is it easy to get a taxi or is bus the better option?

17 hours ago, afick12 said:

What would you estimate the cost for my husband and I to boat to Oia, transportation up to Oia, taxi to Fira?  Is it easy to get a taxi or is bus the better option?

I do not know the current cost but 35 Euros per person would be a guesstimate.  The folks that sell the boat trip are on the pier where you dock on arrival.  The price used to include a mini bus transfer from the dock below Oia, up the hill to the town.  They also would give you a bus ticket for transfer back to Fira.

There are also normal public buses between Fira and Oia although they only run once or twice an hour.  Finding a taxi at Oia is hit/miss so not wise if you are on a tight schedule.  Getting a taxi in Fira is much easier since there is a large taxi parking area near the Fira bus station about a 10-15 min walk from the top cable car station.

Hank

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do not know the current cost but 35 Euros per person would be a guesstimate.  The folks that sell the boat trip are on the pier where you dock on arrival.  The price used to include a mini bus transfer from the dock below Oia, up the hill to the town.  They also would give you a bus ticket for transfer back to Fira.

There are also normal public buses between Fira and Oia although they only run once or twice an hour.  Finding a taxi at Oia is hit/miss so not wise if you are on a tight schedule.  Getting a taxi in Fira is much easier since there is a large taxi parking area near the Fira bus station about a 10-15 min walk from the top cable car station.

Hank

Anyone ever hire a taxi for the day? If so, how much did you pay? Thanks

18 hours ago, afick12 said:

Not from personal experience but from posts on Tripadvisor

https://transfer-to-oia.gr/  Right at the port, beside the line to the cable car, are two store fronts advertising boat transfers to Oia. One is a high-speed boat ( not really). No reservations required, walk up and buy a 20 euro ticket and get on the fast ferry. A 12 minute run ( not really) takes you to the port at Oia. Included is a ticket for the bus up the crater( a steep hill hike) to the Oia city center, along with a second ticket for the bus transfer to Fira (which runs more or less hourly)(chaotic at times). We started about 9:30A, spent time walking around the cliff edge and shops, had a drink break at a beautiful restaurant with a great view, caught the noon bus to Fira (approx. 25 minutes) and were having lunch at the Pelican restaurant (beside the Cathedral) overlooking the ships and harbor before 1:00P.

Also from https://thetravelhack.com/blog/santorini-cruise-port-to-oia/

Edited by ISLABONITA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Anyone ever hire a taxi for the day? If so, how much did you pay? Thanks

Yes, you can certainly hire a taxi but you will need to negotiate a price. It would likely cost you several hundred Euros.   We have often just rented a car for the day which used to be about 50 euros.  There are quite a few small rental car agencies with offices in Fira, but it is always best to reserve in advance.  We have also noticed some smaller ATVs and a few 3 wheeled open vehicles on the roads and assume they can also be rented from local agencies.  

Last August we had a difficult time finding a rental car and googled

several local agencies before finally getting a rental.  Driving on the island is not difficult except around Oia and Fira.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, you can certainly hire a taxi but you will need to negotiate a price. It would likely cost you several hundred Euros.   We have often just rented a car for the day which used to be about 50 euros.  There are quite a few small rental car agencies with offices in Fira, but it is always best to reserve in advance.  We have also noticed some smaller ATVs and a few 3 wheeled open vehicles on the roads and assume they can also be rented from local agencies.  

Last August we had a difficult time finding a rental car and googled

several local agencies before finally getting a rental.  Driving on the island is not difficult except around Oia and Fira.

Hank

Thanks for the great info 

1 hour ago, samavarcruiser said:

Rent scooter or a quad and have fun, is easily doable on your own.

If you have that in mind, remember to take ashore your DL (and mebbe other ID too).

Having to go back to the ship to collect it will wreck your plans.😮

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 6:57 PM, Anyislandwilldo said:

Thanks for sharing.  Just starting to do research for our Mediterranean Cruise in 2023.

Hi there,

We have a cruise booked for May 6, 2023 on the MSC Armonia. Which cruise line are you booked with?

Angela

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, envy4u said:

does it make sense to take a water taxi to Oia once we are tendered  in by the ship and then take bus to Fira and then cable car down?

That's the norm., because the ferry / waterbus / call-it-what-you-will only operates from the tender pier to Oia, but not the other way round.

Buses from Oia to Fira can be over-subscribed, so allow time to wait for the next one or find a taxi or van. Fira has plenty to offer, so don't risk delays from Oia.

The cablecar is frequently over-subscribed (check with passengers from other ships when they have to be back at the pier) and the line can be huge. See my earlier post - assuming that you have half-decent mobility, get to the top cablecar station at least 40 minutes before last-tender time. If the line's too long, walk down the zig-zag path to the pier - it's not too strenuous &  takes 25 to 30 minutes.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

That's the norm., because the ferry / waterbus / call-it-what-you-will only operates from the tender pier to Oia, but not the other way round.

Buses from Oia to Fira can be over-subscribed, so allow time to wait for the next one or find a taxi or van. Fira has plenty to offer, so don't risk delays from Oia.

The cablecar is frequently over-subscribed (check with passengers from other ships when they have to be back at the pier) and the line can be huge. See my earlier post - assuming that you have half-decent mobility, get to the top cablecar station at least 40 minutes before last-tender time. If the line's too long, walk down the zig-zag path to the pier - it's not too strenuous &  takes 25 to 30 minutes.

JB 🙂

This is great information. I wonder why you cannot take a "ferry" from Oia back to the tender pier?

I would suspect that it would be best to get to Oia early to avoid the crowds. Is it pretty obvious where to catch this "ferry" once off the tender?

Could advise on how to get a bus from Oia that can drop us off at Santos winery and then from there how to get to Fira? Or would it be more practical (although more costly) to transport via taxi? 

Thank you.

I'm by no means an expert on Santorini, but I have been there two times, both times renting a quad bike (from a vendor whose name/location now escapes me now but maybe Tony's Moto? - but there are more than one who do that.  It was not particularly comfortable for me, but it WAS safe fun, and my spouse is good at navigating, so we had no problems.  But for anyone going to Santorini, I'd caution you to leave plenty of time for getting to Fira, as it's not a quick operation.  I believe Santorini provides the tenders (way to make money?), large ones.  But at least for our ship both times, (Oceania) we were required to have a tender ticket given out by Oceania, and of course, as is the case for many lines, they are looking to get their excursion passengers off the ship in time for getting on coaches (not on top, but lower down on mountain/hill) or up top by cable car.  So they may not allow independent cruisers off on the first or even second tender.  So don't plan a jam-packed day, go early to inquire about tickets, and be patient and flexible.  And since Covid is not done with us yet, it's possible some things that operated/opened 2 plus years ago are not open/operating right now.  And you never really know if you'll be the only ship in town on a particular day.  Some years back I actually found a boatmen's schedule for cruise ships coming to Santorini, but I don't know if it's possible to find that now or not.  And sites like CruiseCalendar may or may not be 100% accurate, as most are made up a year or two in advance, and things do sometimes change. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, afick12 said:

I would suspect that it would be best to get to Oia early to avoid the crowds. Is it pretty obvious where to catch this "ferry" once off the tender?

The crowds arrive in Oia early.  Everyone off the ships make a mad dash to get there. Oia and the views are not going anywhere.  It makes more sense to do other sightseeing first and then go to Oia.

The pier is tiny. You can't miss the ferries. Plus the vendors will be looking for you to ride the ferry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afick12 said:

This is great information. I wonder why you cannot take a "ferry" from Oia back to the tender pier?

Could advise on how to get a bus from Oia that can drop us off at Santos winery and then from there how to get to Fira? Or would it be more practical (although more costly) to transport via taxi? 

Thank you.

You need to understand that bus services on Santorini are very limited in terms of both routes and frequency.  Trying to get around Santorini via bus can become complicated and you would need to carefully plan your day around the bus schedules.  I believe there is only one bus route that stops at Oia and this is the bus that runs back to Fira.  So, you could take the bus from Oia (which does not run very often) back to Fira where you can wait for another bus that would drop you at the winery.

So I will tell you (and others) what you do not want to hear.  If your goal is to get to multiple places on the island (such as Oia and the winery) you would be well advised to either arrange for taxis (expensive) or simply arrange to rent a car or perhaps the quad wheel open vehicles (like a 4 wheel motorcycle).  We have been going to Santorini for over forty years and generally rent a car if we want to go to wineries and some of the more remote places (such as Red Beach).   Driving on Santorini is not overly difficult, but does involve some hassles (especially with driving and parking near Oia).  

Another warning about rental cars.  Travel on the island has been booming since last summer when the government re opened the country to tourism.  When we last rented a car (last August) I had a very difficult time even reserving a car as most of the rental companies (a majority are smaller island-based outfits) were either sold out or simply had no interest in doing short-term (i.e. cruise visitors) rentals.  So when it comes to rental cars one should reserve as early as possible.  

Last summer we did notice a real explosion in the number of Quad Bikes on the island.  These ATV vehicles (which can carry two persons) have become very popular.  Although they are relatively safe the renters should be aware that they are sharing the roads with many cars (not to mention buses).  When we looked into the Quads we noted that they often cost as much (or more) as a small rental car.

Hank

• Like 1