Azura Latest News

joeecco

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

We don’t even know that’s for sure haha. 
I think it’s almost certain that she was having some sort of work done, be it maintenance or refit because surely cash stripped P&O wouldn’t be paying for a ship to berth for that length of time. 

True, but I think the technical aspect (ie. anchor issues and recovery) seems more plausible as I did happen to notice a utility vessel in the vicinity of Azura yesterday on AIS but didn't pay too much attention as there always seems to be tugs and the like nearby when vessels are at Ocean Terminal.

As for the amount of time spent in port, maybe ABP is giving them a 'hometown discount' 😆

Just now, Captain_Morgan said:

True, but I think the technical aspect (ie. anchor issues and recovery) seems more plausible as I did happen to notice a utility vessel in the vicinity of Azura yesterday on AIS but didn't pay too much attention as there always seems to be tugs and the like nearby when vessels are at Ocean Terminal.

As for the amount of time spent in port, maybe ABP is giving them a 'hometown discount' 😆

Well we can live in hope until we see confirmation 👍

• 1 month later...

This thread has gone very quiet so I wanted to offer some positive news.

Azura is currently off the Devon coast.

Unless matters have changed in the last few days, Azura is due to sail to Spain for her long-delayed dry dock this month. This accounts for her not due in Southampton this month.

If the announcement of P&O's Covid policies was the first, and the changes to Oxygen/medical rules was second, this is very much the next piece of the restart jigsaw. I understand it is still the intention to release other pieces of said jigsaw this month.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Unless matters have changed in the last few days, Azura is due to sail to Spain for her long-delayed dry dock this month. This accounts for her not due in Southampton this month.

If the announcement of P&O's Covid policies was the first, and the changes to Oxygen/medical rules was second, this is very much the next piece of the restart jigsaw. I understand it is still the intention to release other pieces of said jigsaw this month.

Fantastic news to hear. Glad she is getting her dry dock before the restart, sounds very positive. 

have you heard any more about the fly cruise season etc? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Thanks for the update.  Very useful as always.

VTS doesn't show a departure slot for Azura yet, but is showing Azura as due back on 07 Feb at Ocean terminal.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for the update.  Very useful as always.

VTS doesn't show a departure slot for Azura yet, but is showing Azura as due back on 07 Feb at Ocean terminal.

She was in Southampton on 23 December. Once the two week quarantine is over for the crew who joined that day, they will travel straight to Spain, not via Southampton. They are due back from Spain straight to Southampton on 7 February.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, batholiver said:

Hospital ship, perhaps?

The use of cruise lines as hospital ships was discussed in the early days of the pandemic,  and dismissed as being totally impractical. And, as we know from the Nightingale hospital debacle, regardless of what you do to increase the number of available medical beds, the key critical factor is lack of trained medical staff. 

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ooooh.... 

This has Oceana written all over it... 

I wonder🤔

Andy 

I am assured not.

Oceana was sent for a three month lay-up at Newcastle. No unloading was done. The crew only found out she was being sold when she was called back from Newcastle. All unloading was done in Southampton.

I’m being told that the shipyard has cancelled her dry dock, which was due to be this weekend, due to new Covid restrictions. It’s been in the diary since November.

This puts Azura 9 months past her dry dock requirement (a bit like an MOT on your car). I believe a cautious view is being taken here by laying her up. The time scale I’ve heard for Newcastle is 3 months but then you’d probably not intentionally send a ship there for less time.

Finally, Azura is 10 years old. I’d be amazed if there is a cruise line out there with deep enough pockets to buy her in the current climate. Most ships that have sold have been 20 years old+. At that age they are still worth £5m - £50m. These were smaller ships. Azura must still be worth £100s of million.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think its always very random, I doubt that there is even a hint on the timings and other events going in the process. We have to watch it ourselves, monitor the websites, go over offices and just surf the internet to find this information