Volunteers

geckoaz

Is everyone really sure they want to volunteer on a "simulated" voyage (that might never leave port) meant to test and run through procedures? As the CC article below says "These extensive run-throughs will act as a sort of muster drill, but on a vastly larger scale".

Per the CC article:

"Step 2:  Simulated voyages are conducted with "volunteers" to assess health, safety and operational protocols. Judging by the word "simulated", these would likely occur alongside in port, or on short jaunts out to sea.

While it isn't clear who will take part in these simulated voyages, the CDC does lay out several requirements for these volunteer "passengers" and cruise lines.

Simulated voyages will be required to test all embarkation and disembarkation procedures, including terminal check-in. Procedural testing will also include onboard activities, including dining and entertainment venues, and excursions on private islands, "if any are planned during restricted passenger voyages."

Cruise lines will also be required to test evacuation procedures, transfer of symptomatic passengers or crew from cabins to isolation rooms and will have to test the quarantine of all remaining passengers and non-essential crew.

These extensive run-throughs will act as a sort of muster drill, but on a vastly larger scale.

Passengers and crew will have to be tested at the start and end of each "simulated" voyage, a move that is likely to find its way into the requirements when limited operations resume.

Should a real case of COVID-19 be detected during these simulated voyages, the CDC will immediately end the test."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5700/

• Like 2

No thanks, for several reasons:

• Travel to/from the port likely to be still a bit hazardous and tense
  • Cruise likely to be too short for me
  • Cruise likely to visit only ports of limit to me
  • Some protocols not to my liking
  • Living through a test lockdown or quarantine not my idea of a fun vacation

But it does sound like the cruise lines, if they chose, would have plenty of volunteers.  I salute you all!  You'll make cruising better when it resumes in earnest.

• Like 1

If a few of the eager "volunteers" have little faith in the seriousness of this virus, and their sole reason to volunteer is just to cruise and maybe try to get around some of the restrictions, then their laxity might set back the full resumption of sailing for everyone.

If they are the type to go rallies or protests without masks and don't honor social distancing, this experiment is doomed.  I wouldn't expect the crew to be forceful in getting compliance from rule breakers despite any new training in this area.  All it takes is for a few individuals to disregard the health guidelines and the CDC will re-institute the no sail order.

I hope there would be rigorous screening to weed out volunteers who might be potential antagonists to the health and safety process, but some will probably slip through anyway.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, evandbob said:

If a few of the eager "volunteers" have little faith in the seriousness of this virus, and their sole reason to volunteer is just to cruise and maybe try to get around some of the restrictions, then their laxity might set back the full resumption of sailing for everyone.

If they are the type to go rallies or protests without masks and don't honor social distancing, this experiment is doomed.  I wouldn't expect the crew to be forceful in getting compliance from rule breakers despite any new training in this area.  All it takes is for a few individuals to disregard the health guidelines and the CDC will re-institute the no sail order.

I hope there would be rigorous screening to weed out volunteers who might be potential antagonists to the health and safety process, but some will probably slip through anyway.

I hope the ships are full whistle blowers with cameras in hand to document the violations by passengers and lax staff response.

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

I hope the ships are full whistle blowers with cameras in hand to document the violations by passengers and lax staff response.

That's the reason that they will enforce the rules just like they have in Europe with Costa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

your on international waters.... blow your whistle, nobody cares.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

I would be willing to volunteer because I think they need people who know and can follow the guidelines.  As a retired nurse, I fullfill that bill.  I also am not afraid to be a test subject ( as i have mentioned in other posts, I am a volunteer in the Pfizer vaccine study and have received 2 injections and am currently doing self monitoring)

I am 64 and have no significant medical history.  My Dr is willing to give me a letter to that effect ( he had to do that when I started the Pfizer study).

I guess I kinda take exception to the your assumptions- sorry.

baf

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I would be willing to volunteer because I think they need people who know and can follow the guidelines.  As a retired nurse, I fullfill that bill.  I also am not afraid to be a test subject ( as i have mentioned in other posts, I am a volunteer in the Pfizer vaccine study and have received 2 injections and am currently doing self monitoring)

I am 64 and have no significant medical history.  My Dr is willing to give me a letter to that effect ( he had to do that when I started the Pfizer study).

I guess I kinda take exception to the your assumptions- sorry.

baf

I'm with you.

A lot of people like to moan and complain about how things were vs. how things are, then whine because things aren't going faster ,slower, etc.  but ask them to volunteer to test a procedure??? oh hell no. They're not guinea pigs.

• Like 2

No. There are too many restrictions at this point. We are not concerned about catching COVID, but don’t have any desire to stand in line to get tested to get on / off the ship, have to wear a mask in most locations on the ship, possibly get quarantined in our rooms if one positive case is found onboard, etc. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1