Celebrity is fleecing solo cruisers again!

goofysmom99

OK, Celebrity is offering double points for cruises booked by 31 Dec.  Sounds reasonable.  So, when I tried to do a booking for next year, I was told the double points doesn't apply to solos.  So I get the same number of points as someone who is paying half of my fare.  That doesn't seem fair.  This is their fine print:

" One offer per CC Member. Single-occupancy staterooms are not eligible for this Offer." 

I assumed they meant the "single-occupancy staterooms" that exist on Edge and Apex.  Nope.  It's being interpreted as a double-occupancy stateroom occupied by one person.  I think it's being interpreted incorrectly so who/what department should I contact via email?  Or should I use Facebook/Twitter?  My TA just said, "oh, OK."  Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW, I booked something with Azamara during their double point promotion and my reservation clearly says double points and also in an email from Azamara when I questioned it.  Maybe it's because AZ doesn't have single-occupancy cabins.) 

You assumed....you interpreted.....but it’s their deal so it’s hard to find a way to convince them that your interpretation (which btw I share) should prevail.

My only suggestion is to wait and talk to a different customer service rep. As we all know different reps give different information. And then we will all just have to wait and see perhaps will get the bonus double points But we won’t know until after the trip is completed.

Even though Azamara is a sibling, I'd prefer earn my next CC level on X.  And yes, I am receiving 4x points on Azamara (have it twice in writing).  

Complete X terms & conditions:

Captain's Club Member Offer ("Offer") applies to new individual bookings. Captain's Club Members ("CC Members"), Classic and above, are eligible to receive double Club Points when they book a Veranda stateroom or higher between 10/19/2020 and 12/31/2020. Offer applies to sailings between 1/1/2021 and 5/4/2022. The offer applies to each CC Member in a stateroom. All Captain’s Club members, Classic and above, are eligible to participate in this offer. Preview members are not eligible to participate in this offer. Club Points will be added to CC Member's account within 30 days after conclusion of sailing. Valid membership number must be provided at time of booking. One offer per CC Member. Single-occupancy staterooms are not eligible for this Offer. Any changes to cruise booking may result in removal of Offer. If you cancel your booking, Offer will not apply. If you move your booking, Offer will apply if all criteria including booking window, stateroom category and tier are still met with the new sailing. If your sailing is cancelled by Celebrity Cruises, no Club Points will be awarded. Offers and cruise prices are subject to availability, cancellation and change without notice at any time.

BTW, you're never eligible for double points on Celebrity in a single-occupancy cabin (Edge and now Apex).  However, on the rest of the fleet, solos earn double points in double-occupancy cabins paying double fare.  And if "choose one perk" is offered, you don't get to choose a second perk for that double fare, you still only get one.  

34 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

OK, Celebrity is offering double points for cruises booked by 31 Dec.  Sounds reasonable.  So, when I tried to do a booking for next year, I was told the double points doesn't apply to solos.  So I get the same number of points as someone who is paying half of my fare.  That doesn't seem fair.  This is their fine print:

" One offer per CC Member. Single-occupancy staterooms are not eligible for this Offer." 

I assumed they meant the "single-occupancy staterooms" that exist on Edge and Apex.  Nope.  It's being interpreted as a double-occupancy stateroom occupied by one person.  I think it's being interpreted incorrectly so who/what department should I contact via email?  Or should I use Facebook/Twitter?  My TA just said, "oh, OK."  Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW, I booked something with Azamara during their double point promotion and my reservation clearly says double points and also in an email from Azamara when I questioned it.  Maybe it's because AZ doesn't have single-occupancy cabins.) 

I agree totally with your interpretation of the promo text, and said so in the original thread on this issue. The problem for you is that Celebrity, never known for its clarity in writing, may well have meant it in the manner interpreted by the staff member with whom you dealt. You might want to try writing to Captain's Club as this deals with points. Good luck!

33 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

But you already get double points.   Are you expecting 3x or 4x?   You will be getting the same points as DW and I get combined since we have 8 existing bookings which also don't qualify.

Exactly, when this promotion isn't in play, solo passengers get double because they've paid double fare. Meanwhile, both members of a couple each get points, so the total points allocated to the cabin is equal, whether solo or double occupancy.

When the promotion comes along, the booking cost for the cabin remains the same for the solo passenger and the couple, but the points allocated to the cabin suddenly double for the couple but remain the same for the solo passenger. That is intrinsically unfair.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Fleecing is a strong word to use.  And fleecing again seems to imply you have been fleeced in the past.  So if you feel this way why cruise with Celebrity in the first place?

Maybe because when X does it, it feels sooooo good!!!

😎

bon voyage

23 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

But you already get double points.   Are you expecting 3x or 4x?   You will be getting the same points as DW and I get combined since we have 8 existing bookings which also don't qualify.

Yes double points because double Paid. I agree with OP but I don't make the rulez.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I assumed they meant the "single-occupancy staterooms" that exist on Edge and Apex.  Nope.  It's being interpreted as a double-occupancy stateroom occupied by one person.

I was pretty sure that was how they were going to interpret it as I stated when the announcement was made.  Since I'm not booking anything now anyway, no BFD.  I'm content with getting my double points.  It's my choice to have a stateroom to myself.  When I travel with friends, we each get our own stateroom.

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

If I felt I was getting fleeced by a business I would spent my money elsewhere. 

Unfortunately almost all of the cruise lines consider solos as not very desirable and all of them "fleece" to a greater or lesser degree. It's not so simple to say "spend my money elsewhere" if I enjoy cruising. 

I do however look for lines that at least offer some discount off the 100% solo "mark-up" or alternatively at least offer double loyalty points.

I'm looking forward to a suite on Azamara where I'll earn 72 pts/night.  Decided to forego the CS on the Constellation which is the same price but earns only 24 pts/night.  So, I did spend my money elsewhere and still get my X points.  Win, win.  

BTW, one of the definitions of the verb "to fleece" is "to charge excessively for goods or services."  It fits.

• Like 2

So choose a cruise based of the who gives better points.  Interesting.  I look for a good deal, interesting location, and overall service but points is the last thing I would consider tbh.  I am elite and elite plus if my cruises go next year.  Don’t see any level ever reached since where I plan on traveling and how will be changing to more land based outdoor type it looks like Ie long cycling, hiking etc.  Deals come along and go, if current one is not interesting I’ll pass and look at next one but ooo it would  have given dbl points for a benefit that may not ever exist for me in the future. 

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I should have reached Zenith with the cruises I had scheduled for 2020.  Now, who knows?  

Ditto.  That's why I want to get it over with in one swell foop on Azamara.  Hoping November is far enough out to actually sail and be safe.

Edited by goofysmom99

On 11/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, goofysmom99 said:

As an often times solo cruiser, when I book I realize I am paying for two, but will be the only one in the cabin, i.e. it is now a solo cruise.  I know this going in and have the choice to book or not.  If I decide to book, and I most often do, I own that.

9 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I've been traveling solo and paying double for over 12 years (I, too, own that), but I'm still steamed X is giving all veranda and above cruisers the same number of points that I get for half the price.

I am still not sure what you mean when you say half the price?  So a room is double occupancy, the couple in that room receives x points.  A solo cruiser like us, occupies equivalent room, but receives half the points that the double occupied room receives?

46 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I am still not sure what you mean when you say half the price?  So a room is double occupancy, the couple in that room receives x points.  A solo cruiser like us, occupies equivalent room, but receives half the points that the double occupied room receives?

Here's what I understand the OP to be saying, and I agree with her:

1. It is Celebrity's normal policy to charge a solo cruiser a 100% up-charge when cruising alone in a regular cabin. Most solos accept this as the cost of cruising as a solo.
  2. Celebrity, and some other lines, do offer a solo who pays full freight the full complement of points, which is fair, as the solo is paying full price. To put it another way, the cost paid for the cabin is the same, and the number of points awarded is the same -- it's just that in the case of the solo, one person is paying for two, and one person receives the points of two. 
  3. What the OP is referring to is a special deal on certain cruises in which they are offering double the NORMAL number of points if the passenger books before a certain date.
  4. Celebrity adds fine print that says "Single-occupancy staterooms are not eligible for this Offer." 
  5. This could be interpreted in two different ways, but the Celebrity rep is choosing to interpret it as: the offer does not apply to a solo cruiser, no matter what accommodation is booked (rather than the correct -- IMO -- intepretation that it applies only when the cruiser is specifically booking a single-occupancy cabin).

6. So the end result of this interpretation is that the solo and the couple are paying the same price for the cabin, but because Celebrity is not applying the special, the couple is getting double the number of points that the solo can earn.

7. The OP contends -- and again I agree -- that this is a kind of double penalty. Celebrity is asking the solo to pay the full fare for two, but then is further penalizing her by not awarding the same perks for the same price. So, the solo pays $4,000 for the cabin and gets X points, and the couple pay $4,000 for the cabin and get 2X points.

• Like 2