February seen as likeliest month for cruise restarts

6 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Oh boy. I have a cruise on Conquest scheduled for Feb 1st. She is one of the ships they have said they’re starting with sooo.....

600 in OBC should put a smile on your face for your rescheduled cruise date.

29 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Always the optimist....

There are a bunch of restaurants near us that we go to frequently that are extremely worried about today. From talking to staff we know well at these places, all of them are concerned that they might have to reduce staff or possibly even shutdown again in the future. I am applying the same logic to cruising. 

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are a bunch of restaurants near us that we go to frequently that are extremely worried about today. From talking to staff we know well at these places, all of them are concerned that they might have to reduce staff or possibly even shutdown again in the future. I am applying the same logic to cruising. 

Lol, I did not say you were wrong..

Interesting to see RCCL was mentioned to start up earlier than the other lines due to their private island.  CCL could offer quick cruises to Half Moon.  I am sure people will book just to go somewhere- even if it is just one island.  Maybe they could overnight there, even though it is a tender port.  Ship could anchor, or sail in circles - lol.

I wonder if the judge's ruling on Carnival's environmental compliance obligations puts them further behind RCI and NCL? Possibly not, if it's something they can do concurrently with their Conditional Sail Order requirements.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

I hope February cruises are a go! That would give me more hope for my April cruise! A vaccine will be widely available near the end of January if things continue as they are and the military is used in conjunction with the major healthcare industry to distribute them quickly/effectively through drive through locations like they are doing currently for flu shots and covid tests. Ignore the negative Nancy's, we'll be back on board before you know it and partying at sail away with a drink in hand! Yeah buddy!    

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I hope February cruises are a go! That would give me more hope for my April cruise! A vaccine will be widely available near the end of January if things continue as they are and the military is used in conjunction with the major healthcare industry to distribute them quickly/effectively through drive through locations like they are doing currently for flu shots and covid tests. Ignore the negative Nancy's, we'll be back on board before you know it and partying at sail away with a drink in hand! Yeah buddy!    

However the negative Nancy's have been correct more times than not. And let's call them the Positive Peters have been wrong month after month.

Many see things different when facts and common sense are used. One can be hopeful no doubt but even then ( being hopeful) could have been tempered a bit.

Many got so excited when the CDC lifted or let the "no sail order " expire. When the WH said no to letting them extend until February, they had another plan ready to go that essentially is doing the same thing " no sail".

Many said 2021 at the earliest long ago and they are going to be right. At this point unless a miracle happens it will be January.

4 hours ago, rjrice1 said:

Got an 8 day cruise first week of February.  

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

I thought there would be 7 days or less for the near future

That is what the CDC said: initially 7 days or less.  They did not define the period of that limitation - so maybe Feb will see return to 8+ day cruises, maybe March, maybe July...

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

A vaccine will be widely available near the end of January if things continue as they are and the military is used in conjunction with the major healthcare industry to distribute them quickly/effectively through drive through locations like they are doing currently for flu shots and covid tests. 

So...being a Realistic Rick...the end of January is less than three months away, and no trial (outside of Russia) has completed phase 3 - they are just starting ph 3 on one of them, for example.  It will take more than a few weeks to get it distributed enough to reach "normal folks" like me (I cannot speak for anyone else) - first responders first, then care homes, then at-risk elderly, then maybe available to middle aged guitarists.  So end of January seems a bit of a reach for "widely available".  I "hope" so, but hope is not a plan.

4 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I still don’t understand all the optimism on this site for a vaccine. First there is still no guarantee an effective vaccine will be available soon. Second, even if a vaccine is approved, it is not going to eradicate this virus. Third, there is not a vaccine currently under development that will guarantee you won’t catch this virus. It will be more like the flu vaccine, where getting a vaccine doesn’t mean you won’t get the flu.

Even if cruises resume sometime in the near future, which I am cautiously optimistic about, the cruise experience is going to be drastically different than it was pre COVID. Of course the cruise industry in the US might get its final nail in the coffin tonight, but I am cautiously optimistic about that too.