Getting on cruise at a different port

I'm thinking of going on a Carnival Barrier Reef cruise in July 2021 which starts at Sydney and stops at Morton Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas with my mother and my daughter. 

My daughter lives in Airlie Beach and wants to join the cruise at Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is a tendered port.

I understand that she would probably have to pay the same amount. However, would she be allowed to do this, if prearranged with Carnival?

As it is an Australian domestic cruise she may be allowed to do so. As you mention, you realise she would have to pay the full amount.

The reason I say that she might be able to, on a cruise a couple of years ago, one lady paid for a solo cabin. Her daughter wanted to surprise her by joining her during the cruise. This was with Princess. She organised it and everyone kept the secret. Mum was thrilled when she 'ran into' her daughter outside the lift. I met them at lunch and they were both so happy to be on the ship together.

49 minutes ago, Jennfromoz said:

I'm thinking of going on a Carnival Barrier Reef cruise in July 2021 which starts at Sydney and stops at Morton Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas with my mother and my daughter. 

My daughter lives in Airlie Beach and wants to join the cruise at Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is a tendered port.

I understand that she would probably have to pay the same amount. However, would she be allowed to do this, if prearranged with Carnival?

Another issue is there’s no check in facilities at Airlie Beach and being a tender port very unlikely but ring Carnival and ask them and if you get the ok and all they can say no but if you get the ok there’s no discount but wouldn’t it be better to fly to Sydney and do the whole cruise 

1 hour ago, rkmw said:

Another issue is there’s no check in facilities at Airlie Beach and being a tender port very unlikely but ring Carnival and ask them and if you get the ok and all they can say no but if you get the ok there’s no discount but wouldn’t it be better to fly to Sydney and do the whole cruise 

Hi bob, the lady in question might be adverse to flying.

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

It is a great thought..... but remember  tenders ports... can easily be missed due to weather.

Good luck  with your surprise      Don

Do they ever miss Airlie? It is a very sheltered anchorage.

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do they ever miss Airlie? It is a very sheltered anchorage.

Not sure if they miss Airlie but it can get very rough and I wouldn’t like to embark there in case they did miss the port and you’d be chasing the ship to the next port

15 minutes ago, rkmw said:

Not sure if they miss Airlie but it can get very rough and I wouldn’t like to embark there in case they did miss the port and you’d be chasing the ship to the next port

The anchorage is also a long way off shore . One of the locals ,working as a volunteer at the tender dock , told us it was at the max distance to comply with regulations .

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The anchorage is also a long way off shore . One of the locals ,working as a volunteer at the tender dock , told us it was at the max distance to comply with regulations .

That's interesting. I wonder if they meant Australian regulations because there are other ports where the ship anchors further away from the landing jetty. Port Denarau in Fiji and Benoa come to mind. They are both about a 45 minute ride in the tender.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

That's interesting. I wonder if they meant Australian regulations because there are other ports where the ship anchors further away from the landing jetty. Port Denarau in Fiji and Benoa come to mind. They are both about a 45 minute ride in the tender.

I afraid I don’t know . All he said that it was the limit just in case they had 

to tender a medical emergency ashore . 

4 hours ago, rkmw said:

You make a good point when you say that it is possible for a ship to miss a tender port, even if it isn't terribly likely.  This is something the OP should consider.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You make a good point when you say that it is possible for a ship to miss a tender port, even if it isn't terribly likely.  This is something the OP should consider.

Tender ports are more likely to be missed than docked ports, often due to wind conditions making tendering unsafe. 

18 minutes ago, Jennfromoz said:

Thanks everyone for your advice. The reason why we are considering this is because my daughter can only get so many days off work, so we thought doing it this way would give her a shorter cruise. 

It could be done if Carnival allow it so give them a call but on that cruise you have 4 tender ports so if you get the ok have a plan B in case Arlie Beach is missed

The short answer is no if it is a tendered post.  I went through the same thing last year (wanted my daughter to join a Queensland cruise)  with Princess. It has nothing to do with the cruise line and everything to do with the port authority. Believe me I had multiple conversations and it was just not possible, even though I argued we are all Australians doing a domestic cruise. The only port they would have allowed it to happen was Brisbane (we were leaving from Sydney) She couldn't join at Brisbane so missed out.

On 11/4/2020 at 9:47 AM, rkmw said:

So if OP daughter "accidentally" misses embarkation in Sydney and "chases" ship to Airlie, could she board?

Just now, banzaii said:

So if OP daughter "accidentally" misses embarkation in Sydney and "chases" ship to Airlie, could she board?

Only if they have the facilities, which I doubt. I have seen people board at later ports, BUT usually it is a port that is fully equipped. I know on one cruise someone was complaining that they missed the boat and couldn’t get on at the first stop but had to wait till the second. I don’t remember which cruise it was.

Thinking on it a bit more Iremember her abusing the girl at the purser’s desk over the issue. I think that it may have been a segment of our cirumnavigation of Aus, she was meant to join at Fremantle, missed the ship, couldn’t Board at Busselton and had to wait to Adelaide and was complaining she had missed four days of her 16 day cruise with no refund, it is the only cruise that fits what I remember of her rant.

13 hours ago, banzaii said:

Plus by "missing" the passenger has shown up at the intended port after departure, and/or contacts the cruiseline with a justifiable excuse. They don't just turn up unexpected at a subsequent port and plan to board.