Our Christmas 2020 cruise has been cancelled by princess and we received 125% future cruise credits. My fathers magestic princess repositioning cruise in March 2021 looks like it is also cancelled.

my question is when will princess cruises release their cruises for 2022 as we would like to use the credits from about Easter - Christmas 2022. 

also what’s the chance of getting a princess ship here all year round?

We are looking at cruises around New Zealand as every time we plan and book for a cruise there it is cancelled!

also looking at repositioning cruises as we love the different ports and offerings

Our Europe Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise has been rescheduled for Christmas 2021 but on APT.

APT advised that due to this being a Christmas markets cruise that it should be festive and more family friendly and that they will be happy to have us on board. Dads 75th birthday will be on the cruise. He can’t think of a better way to celebrate and is happy to take gifts of fine wine.

23 minutes ago, Esilef said:

Our Christmas 2020 cruise has been cancelled by princess and we received 125% future cruise credits. My fathers magestic princess repositioning cruise in March 2021 looks like it is also cancelled.

my question is when will princess cruises release their cruises for 2022 as we would like to use the credits from about Easter - Christmas 2022. 

also what’s the chance of getting a princess ship here all year round?

Princess have released itineraries up to May 2022. It's hard to guess when the second half of 2022 itineraries will be released. Under normal circumstances they would be released around about now but could be delayed like the last release.

It looks like Coral Princess will be our year- round ship but, of course, she'll be doing the world cruise and other long cruise through our off season. Will we get another ship to do shorter winter cruises? Who knows, things are still too uncertain at present.

20 minutes ago, Esilef said:

Also very happy that we got our ovation cruise in before the world went crazy in 2020.

yes I’m excited to start cruising as soon as I can!

We were on that cruise our next one on voyager was canceled.

23 minutes ago, Esilef said:

Our Europe Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise has been rescheduled for Christmas 2021 but on APT.

APT advised that due to this being a Christmas markets cruise that it should be festive and more family friendly and that they will be happy to have us on board. Dads 75th birthday will be on the cruise. He can’t think of a better way to celebrate and is happy to take gifts of fine wine.

The problem may not be whether that cruise is operating, but whether you can get to Europe then. The government has clearly stated that international travel is unlikely to resume before the end of 2021, except to NZ and possibly some South Pacific countries. It may resume progressively to Asia but I suspect Europe, the UK and the US will not happen under the pandemic is under control in those regions.

33 minutes ago, Esilef said:

We are looking at cruises around New Zealand as every time we plan and book for a cruise there it is cancelled!

also looking at repositioning cruises as we love the different ports and offerings

I think Australian and NZ cruises are going to be the only options for quite some time. Until the pandemic is under control repositioning cruises might not  be viable either - if the ships are coming to our region the repostioning will most like be a crew-only voyage. If cruising recommences in parts of Asia there may be some repositioning cruises to and from there but port stops might be limited.

50 minutes ago, Esilef said:

Can you change your Christmas 2021 river cruise with APT to Christmas, 2022 for your dad's 76th birthday.  The risk is Christmas 2021, Australians may still not be able to travel to Europe.  I'd contact APT which is a reputable company.  

Thanks for the replies. The apt cruise can be moved to a different date if needed. We have moved it from September 2020 to April 2021 and now it’s sitting at Christmas 2021. If need be we will move to April 2022, then September 2022 then Christmas 2022.

We now have the flights included package which makes moving a lot easier.

will see what princess is offering in may 2021.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess have released itineraries up to May 2022. It's hard to guess when the second half of 2022 itineraries will be released. Under normal circumstances they would be released around about now but could be delayed like the last release.

It looks like Coral Princess will be our year- round ship but, of course, she'll be doing the world cruise and other long cruise through our off season. Will we get another ship to do shorter winter cruises? Who knows, things are still too uncertain at present.

Re Coral Princess, she is due here next year is she not? I hope she is allowed in to Aust and NZ to ply the region.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder if there will be long cruises through our off season, like in the past.  Agree things are too uncertain at present to know.  I did read one cruise line ? will only be having cruises 7 days and under.  I think travel insurance is going to be the decision maker for future cruising. Maybe cruise lines will include insurance in the cost of their cruises to get the cruise industry starting again (at extra cost of course).

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I wonder if there will be long cruises through our off season, like in the past.  Agree things are too uncertain at present to know.  I did read one cruise line ? will only be having cruises 7 days and under.  I think travel insurance is going to be the decision maker for future cruising. Maybe cruise lines will include insurance in the cost of their cruises to get the cruise industry starting again (at extra cost of course).

Princess in USA is only having 7 day cruises through to Nov 2021 and no Back to Backs. You can read about it on Princess forum of CC.

I agree, cost of travel insurance is going to be a killer for many of us, well it is for me already.

Edited by NSWP

It is interesting cruises no longer than 7 days.... but I thought that was the norm for Americans particularly round the caribbean.... and from the Coffee Donut and Cake team it only applied to the US

Also  I would of thought longer cruises would be better.....   as not as many people transiting through the ship......

And you make a good point Les.... about the cost of travel insurance......

That will my mum who would still like to go a cruise... will not be able to get insurance at 95...

Also 2022 seam so far away... I have difficulty planning six months in advance now......

Don  

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Re Coral Princess, she is due here next year is she not? I hope she is allowed in to Aust and NZ to ply the region.

Yes, she's due to operate from Brisbane for the 21/22 summer season then will start the sequence of Round Australia, Hawaii/Tahiti, World Cruise assuming the world is in a position for the latter two to happen. 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I hope so, they are very popular. I doubt world cruises will be feasible for another 2-3 years. Hawaii/Tahiti could be a problem but the itinerary could be adapted to only visit safe places. Round Australia should be fine.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Princess in USA is only having 7 day cruises through to Nov 2021 and no Back to Backs. You can read about it on Princess forum of CC.

I agree, cost of travel insurance is going to be a killer for many of us, well it is for me already.

Remember folk in the US are used to 7 day itineraries, and the Caribbean makes those itineraries very easy from Florida.

Here it's not so simple. We're more used to longer cruises. 9 nights or less are seen as a short cruises, and 12-14 nights seems to be the average, especially if going to NZ or Fiji where it takes a couple of sea days each way to get there. 

However for startup cruises it would be very easy to put together interesting 7 night itineraries along the coast, even without port stops.

The Queensland coast is perfect for that as the main shipping channel is inside the GBR so cruises from both Brisbane and Sydney could go up through Torres Strait (the most interesting bit) and back again, timing it so nighttime sections on the way up were daytime on the way back. 

Melbourne and Sydney could also have cruises along the Tasmania Coast. Melbourne could also go the other way around to SA.

NZ could do one way cruises Auckland to Dunedin and vice versa, or loops and from various sources ports in turn. Plenty of scope there for 7 night cruises.

Three night cruises sell well but they are party cruises, but I think that only us die-hard cruisers would go for 7-night cruises to nowhere. The first thing most people ask about a cruise is "Where is it going?" If Australia stays the way it is without community transmission, we could safely do domestic cruises.

At the moment, I think I prefer to wait until there is a vaccine. I hope that all passengers and crew would have to show their vaccination certificate before they could board. 

28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree lots of opportunities for cruising in Aus and NZ once the Auths open up Aus and NZ for cruising.  No one will want to cruise until it is safe, then there will be pent up demand by locals. 

For sure, not all locals at the visited ports will be happy.  That is why I believe the cruise lines will want to operate in a controlled environment and only permit pax to leave the ship via ship's shorex, no individual exit.

Edited by NSWP
40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree lots of opportunities for cruising in Aus and NZ once the Auths open up Aus and NZ for cruising.  No one will want to cruise until it is safe, then there will be pent up demand by locals. 

Yes, once port stops are permitted there is plenty of scope for interesting itineraries within each country. 

And, yes, controlled shorex may be required although if we have very few or no cases that may not be a problem.

53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And, yes, controlled shorex may be required although if we have very few or no cases that may not be a problem.

That is what I see. I cannot see that cruising will start in Aust waters until either

(1) we have had an extended period of time with no COVID, or

(2) vaccine is available and only vaccinated pax are allowed to board.

In either case, passengers' going ashore in domestic ports would not pose a risk. I don't see that controlled shorex would be required.

I understand the new guidelines from the CDC in the USA have stated that cruises be no longer than 7 days for starters.  That is why RCL cancelled all longer cruises for the moment.  I saw somewhere that this doesn't stop you doing a back to back because as far as the cruise line is concerned you are doing 2 short cruises.

It doesn't mean that we will have to abide by these rules.  It will be up to the Australian authorities.  We are in a different position location wise to the USA hence our longer cruises.

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

I understand the new guidelines from the CDC in the USA have stated that cruises be no longer than 7 days for starters.  That is why RCL cancelled all longer cruises for the moment.  I saw somewhere that this doesn't stop you doing a back to back because as far as the cruise line is concerned you are doing 2 short cruises.

It doesn't mean that we will have to abide by these rules.  It will be up to the Australian authorities.  We are in a different position location wise to the USA hence our longer cruises.

Princess has barred B2B cruises according to those who know on Princess Forum. 7 days is it.

Edited by NSWP