Princess Vacation Protection - Can I cancel it?

I have a total of 5 cruises booked for 2021 on Princess with Platinum Protection paid and over $500.00 for coverages.   

My question is, can I choose to cancel my Princess Platinum coverage prior to my cruises and receive a refund for the amount paid for the policy? 

I am seeking an annual policy from one of the country's top travel insurers and would only cost $450.00 for those in the household that has $500,000 in Emergency Transportation and $50,000 in Medical Coverages plus a few more goodies.    I have 4 other voyages on HAL that I need to find coverage for regardless.  I would like to cancel the Princess Protection.  Can I do this.  I am going to check with my Princess PVP but I thought all you travel experts here on the boards.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.  

I paid off a cruise early (2022) and asked my TA the same question.  She said that I couldn't cancel it once it was paid off.  If you're in the same situation, I'd love to hear what happens with you.  

Edited by palolake

google Geo Blu Voyager Choice

we used them for our 28 night cruise to Tahiti.  The cost for the two of us saved us a couple of hundred dollars.

I was told my the representative, that if we are going on multiple cruises, it would be cheaper to buy the year coverage.  It would cost based on age of both cruisers and which coverage you choice (I think there is a choice of 3)

If I had multiple cruises to take in one year I would go with the year plan.  Other wise I am happy doing it with the cruise line - even though I notice that their costs went up when I booked my April 2021 cruise.

there are lots of companies out there.  google "travel insurance" and you will get lots of companies to choose from.

17 hours ago, dvcmember said:

I have a total of 5 cruises booked for 2021 on Princess with Platinum Protection paid and over $500.00 for coverages.   

My question is, can I choose to cancel my Princess Platinum coverage prior to my cruises and receive a refund for the amount paid for the policy? 

I am seeking an annual policy from one of the country's top travel insurers and would only cost $450.00 for those in the household that has $500,000 in Emergency Transportation and $50,000 in Medical Coverages plus a few more goodies.    I have 4 other voyages on HAL that I need to find coverage for regardless.  I would like to cancel the Princess Protection.  Can I do this.  I am going to check with my Princess PVP but I thought all you travel experts here on the boards.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.  

I would ask the company about "Cancel  for Any Reason". Most private companies have poor coverage for that . If you have to cancel a week for the cruise , what do you have to do to get a refund of your cruise expenses.

3 hours ago, palolake said:

I paid off a cruise early (2022) and asked my TA the same question.  She said that I couldn't cancel it once it was paid off.  If you're in the same situation, I'd love to hear what happens with you.  

Princess is very clear on Princess Vacation Protection cancellation in their Frequently Asked Questions.

Q: What if I want to cancel my PVP coverage? How does that work?
A: PVP is refundable until final payment is due. For new bookings made within final payment, the PVP plan cost is only refundable within 10 days of purchase provided the person hasn't departed on the trip nor filed a claim.

Note it says "until final payment is due" - not "until final payment is made".

If you haven't looked at these FAQs later, I recommend you do so. They have updated with several specific questions and answers about COVID-19.

Edited by NavyVeteran

Cruise Critic has an insurance board, lots of good information there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Hope  the  link works.  If not look under cruise topics/ cruise insurance. 

We had an annual policy this year. It was good for one year from purchased. I actually got a partial refund.  But that was an exception, I am guessing,  This happened after the trips were cancelled. I don’t think the private insurance is usually refundable on the annual  plans, but you can ask those questions once you get an agent.  Several post on and are recommended on the trip insurance board.