Jump to content

90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Looks like it might be available before December 1st...

 

Just heard Cruise Line stocks are on the upswing.

 

Correct -- that info was posted on the RCL stock thread a while ago.  Markets set to open 6% higher this morning. The 90% effective rate is better than what the market was expecting. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

 

Correct -- that info was posted on the RCL stock thread a while ago.  Markets set to open 6% higher this morning. The 90% effective is better than what the market was expecting. 

50% has always been looked at as effective.

 

This is 90% and that is before the second or booster dose... GREAT NEWS for all.. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

50% has always been looked at as effective.

 

This is 90% and that is before the second or booster dose... GREAT NEWS for all.. 

 

Yes indeed great news!  Especially for the travel and tourism industry.  Cruise stocks are way up.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just coming to post the story.    Also, expect vaccine requirements to cruise as soon as this is released.  And, others are to follow.  I know it requires really cold storage, but hey, it works.

 

Here's the story from Reuters:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-in-idUSKBN27P1FB?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Zd3lc3wHFcb-ligA2KCoJ5Ii6pb0P8Q-p9CcOI_QtNIFhiFBEdoQT_qg

 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, BND said:

I was just coming to post the story.    Also, expect vaccine requirements to cruise as soon as this is released.  And, others are to follow.  I know it requires really cold storage, but hey, it works.

 

Here's the story from Reuters:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-in-idUSKBN27P1FB?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Zd3lc3wHFcb-ligA2KCoJ5Ii6pb0P8Q-p9CcOI_QtNIFhiFBEdoQT_qg

 

Pfizer has researched and has developed a complete nationwide infrastructure for the extreme low temperatures required, from manufacture to the actual shot in the arm... 

 

They have all transport, storage and local delivery problems solved. Amazing that this was all being done over the last months.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, boscobeans said:

Pfizer has researched and has developed a complete nationwide infrastructure for the extreme low temperatures required, from manufacture to the actual shot in the arm... 

 

They have all transport, storage and local delivery problems solved. Amazing that this was all being done over the last months.

Not amazing when resources are put where they need to be things can get done.  I just wonder who will take credit?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, orville99 said:

Who cares who takes credit. 

You're missing my point.  You put resources out, push for something to get done and it does.  Amazing, huh?

 

Anyway, at 90% effectivity, if it pans out, will basically make it a non-issue.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Finally some good news.  I imagine distribution of this one, and hopefully other companies will follow, will take awhile but very wonderful news.

Distribution lines are and have been in place for weeks. From manufacture to the shot in the arm. States have all been notified as to what laws they have in place for immunizers and other regulations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BND said:

You're missing my point.  You put resources out, push for something to get done and it does.  Amazing, huh?

 

Anyway, at 90% effectivity, if it pans out, will basically make it a non-issue.

Pfizer should therefore receive all of the credit, since they did this entirely on their own dime. They never took a penny of government money to fund their development. I'm sure that other entities will try to take credit, but this one belongs solely to Pfizer.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Let’s all take a deep breath. The 90% number quoted was measured at 28 days post injection. 

I wonder what the effectiveness was after 2 or 3 weeks was? 

If Fauci said a 50% immunity was what to expect, it would be interesting to see a 2 week response...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Let’s all take a deep breath. The 90% number quoted was measured at 28 days post injection. 

Actually, according to Pfizer's CEO this morning on CNBC, these results were from the review of the second tranche of clinical data which would encompass everything since the phase three trials started this summer.

 

From Pfizer's press release this morning:

"Pfizer and BioNTech are continuing to accumulate safety data and currently estimate that a median of two months of safety data following the second (and final) dose of the vaccine candidate – the amount of safety data specified by the FDA in its guidance for potential Emergency Use Authorization – will be available by the third week of November. Additionally, participants will continue to be monitored for long-term protection and safety for an additional two years after their second dose."

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

What will be more interesting and more relevant is what the response is at 90-180 days. 

What will be more interesting is at what point will people quit poo pooing the positive news we've been getting all along?  It's almost like some want it to fail so they can be "right".

  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Pfizer should therefore receive all of the credit, since they did this entirely on their own dime. They never took a penny of government money to fund their development. I'm sure that other entities will try to take credit, but this one belongs solely to Pfizer.

Where did you come up with that?  More than worth their while to do so.  Very common for companies to "bet on the come".  If this works as well as projected Pfizer stands to do very well and not just from the vaccine.  They will also have very happy investors.

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-pfizer/u-s-to-pay-pfizer-biontech-1-95-billion-for-covid-19-vaccine-idUSKCN24N1I9

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BND said:

What will be more interesting is at what point will people quit poo pooing the positive news we've been getting all along?  It's almost like some want it to fail so they can be "right".

Has nothing to do with who is right. I have spent 30 plus years in medicine, this news, while positive, isn’t close to being declared a viable solution. Short term immune response is a great cornerstone to build upon, but we need more data before I would allow this to be used on any of my patients nor my family. That’s all I’m saying. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BND said:

Simple, it came directly from the mouth of Pfizer's CEO this morning. If you read that article carefully, you will see that the Government promised to purchase ~$2 billion worth of Pfizer's vaccine if (and only if) it was proven effective. Pfizer rejected the government offer of development funding and was not a participant in Warp Speed. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

Has nothing to do with who is right. I have spent 30 plus years in medicine, this news, while positive, isn’t close to being declared a viable solution. Short term immune response is a great cornerstone to build upon, but we need more data before I would allow this to be used on any of my patients nor my family. That’s all I’m saying. 

But would you agree that with the new rules with the FDA speeding up the process with these vaccines may influence your response?  Jonas Salk developed the polio vaccine in 2 years.  It's 2020.  We have come a long way from the 50's.  Would it not be possible to realistically have a vaccine in 6 months instead of 3 years taking out all of the paperwork...etc...?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Has nothing to do with who is right. I have spent 30 plus years in medicine, this news, while positive, isn’t close to being declared a viable solution. Short term immune response is a great cornerstone to build upon, but we need more data before I would allow this to be used on any of my patients nor my family. That’s all I’m saying. 

My favorite question.  In medicine, as what?  My DIL is an RN but doesn't know any more about the virus than any lay person as she works in a GP office.  My husband's cousin is an RN and her DH is a urologist and neither know more than what they read in the medical info availalbe.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...