90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

6 hours ago, BND said:

We got ours at Harris Teeter and they always give documentation with what to watch for and the lot# and other identifying info on the vaccine received.

Also, neither my DH or I have ever paid for a flu shot (nor have our grown sons).  I was a US Fed employee and DH was Navy and then a Fed contractor as are both our sons.  Shots were given out at work.  This year they didn't offer them at either of my son's companies or my DH's.  But, that's due to the pandemic.  We all just went to a pharmacy and got them, at no cost.

We don't pay for them either because of our insurance thru American Airlines or before thru the Navy. We get them at Publix now and we each get a 10.00 gift card. Free money. 😀  Our dr never gave us free money and there's no waiting at Publix, just walk in. Our documents also have the same info as yours. Our husbands retired at the same rank 06.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well it also depends on what the insurance company will pay. For example I got a flu shot at CVS. The insurance covered it 100%  My son went a few months later to the same CVS and they were going to charge him $70 with the same insurance. We found out that they were out of the vaccine that I was injected with and the one they had from another pharmacy company cost $70 out of pocket. Needless to say we called around to find the vaccine that I received.  I don't know if covid will be a government expense or a personal out of pocket for the individual.

6 hours ago, yogimax said:

Bottom line on flu shots...

Free or not - Get your shot!

Is $70 worth your health?  We spend thousands on a cruise.  A few bucks on our well being is not excessive.

He never said they weren't going to get one, but his son's had to be a certain brand or the insurance company wouldn't pay for it. If I had to pay 70.00 versus getting it free, I would definitely find the correct brand to get it for free. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Are they?  I went to a local pharmacy to get my flu shot a couple of weeks ago.  I check in, they go through all the paperwork, blah blah, then have me wait for the pharmacist.  She finally calls me back into the consultation room and says "Sorry about the delay, I wanted to make sure you got the 'good version' and had to change the paperwork."  

I tried to press her on what was different about the 'good version' and she wouldn't elaborate.  I'm guessing they probably get more money for the 'good version'.  But if that's the case, it seems a strange thing to tell a patient. 

I do know they have a senior flu shot but I don’t fall into that category. What you described is the reason I’m not jumping on the  Covid vaccine right away.

4 hours ago, bumorgan said:

I would hope you would need proof of underlying conditions such as your script for heart pills, diabetes, BP medication, etc.  otherwise oh my uncle, friend, sister is a doctor, just write me a note.

Seriously? Now a note from a physician is no longer adequate?

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The FDA approves many drugs for the same condition, with varying degrees of effectiveness and side effects. 

Agreed.  There are even different versions of the flu vaccine, with different effectiveness, that are approved.

5 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We have more then one friend who’s physician wrote them an emotional support animal letter.  They have no emotional issues. So not a lot of value in dr note

You mean not much value in THAT doctor's notes. I am sure you can find oeople of questionable integrity in every profession.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are all the same but I guess our insurance only covered a certain brand.  It must be like how they cover certain band named drugs vs generic. My wife has the top plan from NYU and they usually pay out well. This was just strange to us too. The chain drug stores always advertise free flu shots but it boils down to your insurance coverage.

Publix in Florida gave me and my husband each a $10 Publix gift card for getting the vaccine from their pharmacy. We did not have to pay but made money on the "deal".

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

I thought these would be a lot more expensive and difficult to acquire:

They're quoting 5-7 day order processing.

Capture.JPG

IF something like that is what's needed, they might not be so easy to acquire when they try to vaccinate billions of people worldwide.  We could go from ventilator shortages to freezer shortages.  Of course it's debatable if there ever was a ventilator shortage.....

On 11/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, boscobeans said:

Pfizer has researched and has developed a complete nationwide infrastructure for the extreme low temperatures required, from manufacture to the actual shot in the arm... 

They have all transport, storage and local delivery problems solved. Amazing that this was all being done over the last months.

where did you get the transportation information from, do you have a link. The last update we had gotten was that it will be to hot in my area so we will not be able to get it which has been very disappointing 😞 . Would hate to not be able to receive the most effective vaccine.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I do know they have a senior flu shot but I don’t fall into that category. What you described is the reason I’m not jumping on the  Covid vaccine right away.

From what I've read this Pfizer vaccine, they originally tried to give a bigger dose and some passed out, that's why now it's in 2 doses. I also read it hurts worse than a typhus shot and most feel bad the next 24 hours. .. and I'm a baby anyway about getting shots. ... but for covid I'll do it. Mostly I dont want to worry about giving it to my parents. 

I dont do flu shots.  ... but this I will

On 11/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Credit should also be given to Germany's BioNTech.  The vaccine is a joint, collaborative venture between Pfizer and BioNTech. 

and I think BioNTech joined with Pfizer since they are to small to be able to produce and distribute the vaccine. BioNTech is a couple so a Mom and Pop operation.

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

From what I've read this Pfizer vaccine, they originally tried to give a bigger dose and some passed out, that's why now it's in 2 doses. I also read it hurts worse than a typhus shot and most feel bad the next 24 hours. .. and I'm a baby anyway about getting shots. ... but for covid I'll do it. Mostly I dont want to worry about giving it to my parents. 

I dont do flu shots.  ... but this I will

So I will get the shot, go home, have a stiff drink, and sleep for 24 hours.  😴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:54 PM, travelhound said:

I think distribution will go much faster than most people are anticipating 🙂

Why?

One problem...

this vaccine needs to be shipped and stored at minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  Right now, our nation is not ready for that.

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Why?

One problem...

this vaccine needs to be shipped and stored at minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  Right now, our nation is not ready for that.

Yes it will be a challenge, but as part of operation Warp Speed, they are making the necessary arrangements.