Jump to content

Would you sail on or continue to sail Royal if they went inclusive?


Recommended Posts

I hope Royal does not follow Celebrity. We don’t drink and if we have onboard credit it goes towards gratuities with the balance due going on our credit card and billed after the cruise. Here we would be paying the added cost 90 days before we even sail and where would we spend the onboard credit,  Junk from the royal gift shop. We only get one WiFi account if the cruise is longer than seven days and someday we will be pinnacle so WiFi would be free. 
 

Larry

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Larryhnj said:

I hope Royal does not follow Celebrity. We don’t drink and if we have onboard credit it goes towards gratuities with the balance due going on our credit card and billed after the cruise. Here we would be paying the added cost 90 days before we even sail and where would we spend the onboard credit,  Junk from the royal gift shop. We only get one WiFi account if the cruise is longer than seven days and someday we will be pinnacle so WiFi would be free. 
 

Larry

If everyone gets "free"  internet  then it will likely no longer be a Pinnacle benefit.  Why would it need to be? 

M

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

This topic has me in stitches.  For so long, many on CC have been complaining about being 'nickeled and dimed' to death so now Celebrity comes up with the brilliant idea to be all inclusive (thank goodness!!!) and the complaints are rolling in!  I think more people than not will like the inclusive idea us included!

 

This is exactly what I was thinking. 

But people always gotta have something to complain about...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

The only way that everything is included is if they get rid of the expensive half their wines, their top line single malts, their extra aged brandies etc (and that isn’t going to happen). 
 

Those are not included in the classic package that is part of all inclusive deal. There are 2 more packages that you can upgrade to in order to get top shelf and more OBC or money for excursions. As you can see nickel and diming is still alive and well on Celebrity.

Edited by Iamcruzin
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I want to pay 'upscale' prices, why not go on upscale ship? {Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, or Silversea]?

 

Just no way I would be sailing RCC again at those prices, period. I guess it would screen out the riff-raff like us, but I can do fine on Princess or HAL if RCC does this. I would be sorry to have to though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Just no way I would be sailing RCC again at those prices, period. 

Serious question, "What Prices?"  Have I missed something, have we already determined what the new price would be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Domino D said:

Serious question, "What Prices?"  Have I missed something, have we already determined what the new price would be?

Of course we have. Easy deduction. Or do you imagine they will not charge extra for these 'perks'?

 

Look at what Celebrity now costs compared to what it did before they pretended to go upscale with these perks. I sailed them a couple times then. Could sail some times for under $100/day. How about now? If RCC did similar, just add the usual price of the perks to usual price without, and you won't be far off. 

 

Back in the 70's and 80's, cruising included all kinds of upscale stuff. I could never have sailed then. I do not know if cruise line would do better economically by reducing sailings and ships to 'add value' at those old price scales. That is for them to decide. I just know I want to continue seeing the World, and could not do so under those assumptions.

 

I will hope RCC offers perks as perks, and keep lower prices for those of us who don't want, or cannot pay for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Of course we have. Easy deduction. Or do you imagine they will not charge extra for these 'perks'?

 

Look at what Celebrity now costs compared to what it did before they pretended to go upscale with these perks. I sailed them a couple times then. Could sail some times for under $100/day. How about now? If RCC did similar, just add the usual price of the perks to usual price without, and you won't be far off. 

 

Back in the 70's and 80's, cruising included all kinds of upscale stuff. I could never have sailed then. I do not know if cruise line would do better economically by reducing sailings and ships to 'add value' at those old price scales. That is for them to decide. I just know I want to continue seeing the World, and could not do so under those assumptions.

 

I will hope RCC offers perks as perks, and keep lower prices for those of us who don't want, or cannot pay for them.

So the short answer to my question is "No I haven't missed anything."  We are simply hypothesizing that IF they do it, the price increase will be either unacceptable or unaffordable.

 

We are booked for Thanksgiving 2021 in a balcony with a beverage package and wifi included.  We are paying $2400 (including port fees and taxes) for 7 days (2 people).  That is very much in line with what we normally pay for a cruise.  In 1975 dollars this would be around $490.  https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/  and https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1975?amount=495

 

We can't travel during off periods, so I am not use to getting cruises under $100 dollars a day.  

 

With all due respect I don't know of any industry (except consumer electronics) that can survive in 2020 at their 1970 pricing model.   My first new car in 1979 cost $4,000, FYI it was a Mustang. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 7:02 AM, Domino D said:

 

 

 

I have a Celebrity booked for next November.  When I booked they said "You get a drink package included.  I told the woman, "I don't drink, can I get a OBC instead, or some other perk?"  She said no unfortunately not.  The fare I paid was well within the range I was looking, so no loss to me.  She did tell me I could get specialty coffee, bottled water, and juices.  So I'll likely be getting off the cruise with a case of water to take home.

Haven't you got water on tap at home?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 5:20 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Celebrity was basically like this before the announcement always offering at least 2 perks, sometimes 4.  This just made 3 perks the standard..

 

There is no reason whatsoever to think that Royal will head in this direction.  Entirely different demographic that they are catering to.  


My thoughts are similar that this is not a big change for Celebrity. We have 3 cruises booked on Celebrity over the next 15 months and all of them included perks in the cruise fare including the classic drink package. We also have 3 cruise booked on RCI during the same time period without any perks included in the cruise fare. Like you said, the two cruise lines definitely cater to different demographics. We enjoy both cruise lines but each cruise line has a different feel on their ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, generichandle said:

If I want to pay 'upscale' prices, why not go on upscale ship? {Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, or Silversea]?

 

Just no way I would be sailing RCC again at those prices, period. I guess it would screen out the riff-raff like us, but I can do fine on Princess or HAL if RCC does this. I would be sorry to have to though.


RCI is not going to do this. I don’t understand why the OP even thinks this is a possibility. RCI and Celebrity market themselves to different demographics. That’s the whole point of having different cruise lines under the same parent company. As for your riff raff comment, seems like the majority of them flock to Carnival now. I wouldn’t put you in that category if you are looking at Princes or Holland America as options. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, Plum Happy said:

It's not just alcoholic, specialty coffee and teas, soda is included.

Yeah, I don't drink any of that either ;).

 

I assume it includes frozen virgin drinks, though, which I do get one or two a day of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We would be looking for a different cruise line. We don’t mind paying extra for upgrades that we do use, but We do not want to pay for so called upgrades that we will never use.  That would make me very sad if it came to that because we have really enjoyed our cruises on Royal Caribbean. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I hate all the nickel and diming. I have had to book, cancel, rebook, purchase, and everything else 3x for our first cruise. It is a pain not to be able to properly price out a vacation. First, you have the cruise fare, then you have the changing prices or promos on cruise fare. Second, drink packages and the ever changing promos on them. Then, to the less educated, you have all of the hidden or grey area charges. NCL for example has the "Free At Sea" garbage. It is not free. You get them for booking the same room at a much higher rate. "Free" means booking the lowest rate and everything else is added. Instead, you get the "free" at a higher rate, then they say your gratuities are covered, but no the daily service gratuities which is another $125pp for the week. I want the "Here is the price you pay, you pay nothing more, no gratuities or anything". You pay the fare and you are done. The only other charges are excursions you choose to book and souvenirs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Domino D said:

Our 2021 Celebrity booking (includes drink package) definitely does.  I don't know if what we booked will be exactly the same as the new all inclusive offering. 

Our July 2021 X Summit cruise includes the premium package.  Our last one was the classic package.  Honestly, the classic was fine, but the premium does give us more options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity did not always include the amenities packages. I sailed a couple times a few years ago with no added amenities, and the prices were comparable to PCL, HAL, and RCC. I enjoyed the ships. 

 

Now I simply never see a 'basic' price for Celebrity, the amenities are requirements and the prices MUCH [for us] higher. I am sorry because they have moved away from my range. 

 

I do regard RCC as equivalent to HAL and PCL, and superior to CCL, and Norwegian. Those three I can often get good rates, especially for Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and other repositioning cruises. I get to see the World, with great services and quality, in a range I can afford. I am content. 

 

I doubt RCC will go the Celebrity route, and my comments were aimed at discouraging any such considerations. Still, it's certainly a business, and they may change their model if they believe it is more cost effective. We shall see. Meantime, hope to see you at sea!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

I thought most places in Georgia had indoor plumbing🙄
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_water
“A simple indoor water tap”

Oh a "faucet"   Yeah I've seen them around the house in few places.  We don't drink it though, you know the man is always doing stuff to the water supply. 🤢

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 5:44 PM, watson50 said:

just another way to 'justify" their price increases, What about people that don't drink? will their fare be reduced? 

Right on watson 50.We dont need this.

Chances are  they will price me out of cruising.

By the way Im in Yaphank>>>

Best regards,

Manny & Lydia

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Oh a "faucet"   Yeah I've seen them around the house in few places.  We don't drink it though, you know the man is always doing stuff to the water supply. 🤢

Do you drink bottled?  You know most bottled water is simply tap water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Domino D said:

 

With all due respect I don't know of any industry (except consumer electronics) that can survive in 2020 at their 1970 pricing model.   My first new car in 1979 cost $4,000, FYI it was a Mustang. 

I think my first new car (in the 70's) was $3000 or $3500. It was an orange VW beetle. I loved that car!🤗

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...