8 Day Cruise

Butterbean1000

We have an 8 day cruise booked for the end of February 2021. I wonder what Carnival will do, cancel the cruise or shorten it to a 7 day.  I know a lot can happen between now and then, I just hate the thought of our 3rd rescheduled cruise being canceled on a technically.

Like you said a lot can happen between now and then.  I hope you get your 8 day....8 days are my favorite.  I have an 8 in 2022.  It's frustrating not to be able to really plan things because you just don't know what situation we'll be in.  I certainly hope that life is back to normal by then.  It's a virus.  There are germs.  There always were, and always will be.  The testing is extremely flawed, and that causes a tidal wave of unnecessary other issues.   I hope and pray things are back to normal much sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We have an 8 day cruise booked for the end of February 2021. I wonder what Carnival will do, cancel the cruise or shorten it to a 7 day.  I know a lot can happen between now and then, I just hate the thought of our 3rd rescheduled cruise being canceled on a technically.

Just curious, why do you think they would only shorten it to a 7 day cruise?  I understand that is the maximum length cruise initially but I think even 7 day cruises won’t sail initially. We have a 7 day cruise booked in February on another cruise line and I think the chances of the cruise sailing are very low. 

EDIT: I got distracted trying to watch football and reply at the same time. I meant to include I am hoping maybe our 7 day cruise will change to a 3-4 day cruise increasing the chances of the cruise taking place. Maybe that is just wishful thinking. I guess right now there are a lot of unknowns. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

I've been adding up the days to file for this or that, and even without any delays I'd be surprised to see a 7 day cruise out of any port but miami or florida, before march. Each ship has to be inspected, how many inspectors are there? Quarantine the crew etc. 

I'd say February iffy. All we can do is wait and see how fast this plays out.

44 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just curious, why do you think they would only shorten it to a 7 day cruise?  I understand that is the maximum length cruise initially but I think even 7 day cruises won’t sail initially. We have a 7 day cruise booked in February on another cruise line and I think the chances of the cruise sailing are very low. 

EDIT: I got distracted trying to watch football and reply at the same time. I meant to include I am hoping maybe our 7 day cruise will change to a 3-4 day cruise increasing the chances of the cruise taking place. Maybe that is just wishful thinking. I guess right now there are a lot of unknowns. 

I say 7 days because as of now that is the maximum length.  If they shorten cruises, they will  have to issue refunds.  The more they shorten, the more the refund.  Carrying that a bit further. If you have a $600 OBC, will they reduce that also? So many questions.

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I say 7 days because as of now that is the maximum length.  If they shorten cruises, they will  have to issue refunds.  The more they shorten, the more the refund.  Carrying that a bit further. If you have a $600 OBC, will they reduce that also? So many questions.

The 600 is based on the length of the cruise they cancelled so I doubt it would be affected.

I was thinking additional obc if they shorten offered. Not refund

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The 600 is based on the length of the cruise they cancelled so I doubt it would be affected.

I was thinking additional obc if they shorten offered. Not refund

If I paid for an 8 day cruise and only get a 4 day, I best be getting a refund.  With the 600 OBC, it would be a stretch to spend all that on a 4 day much less adding more OBC.  No, I'll just take a full refund, take another kind of vacation and call it a day.  I'll hate giving up all that "free" OBC, but I'm tired of this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butterbean1000 said:

If I paid for an 8 day cruise and only get a 4 day, I best be getting a refund.  With the 600 OBC, it would be a stretch to spend all that on a 4 day much less adding more OBC.  No, I'll just take a full refund, take another kind of vacation and call it a day.  I'll hate giving up all that "free" OBC, but I'm tired of this. 

Why would you think it will become a 4 day?? 

I just watched a couple of bloggers who speculate ships doing 6 and 8 day rotations, for instance both might be changed to 7 days, or one day cut. I would think 4 days unlikely, but I dont know, my guess above you quoted I was thinking they would make it a 7 since that's allowed, and a bit of obc for the loss of one day, rather than cancel it completely. No idea why you think 4? Imo.. unlikely, they would cancel before doing that radical. Just my opinion. We dont have to agree. But I think highly unlikely.

18 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Why would you think it will become a 4 day?? 

I just watched a couple of bloggers who speculate ships doing 6 and 8 day rotations, for instance both might be changed to 7 days, or one day cut. I would think 4 days unlikely, but I dont know, my guess above you quoted I was thinking they would make it a 7 since that's allowed, and a bit of obc for the loss of one day, rather than cancel it completely. No idea why you think 4? Imo.. unlikely, they would cancel before doing that radical. Just my opinion. We dont have to agree. But I think highly unlikely.

It has been mentioned by a few posters that they don't think carnival will be sailing for 7 + days for a while. I was responding to that. I can deal with it being cut to a 7 day, no big deal, but would still expect some sort of compensation. I don't think we're disagreeing on anything, maybe just a little needed clarity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butterbean1000 said:

It has been mentioned by a few posters that they don't think carnival will be sailing for 7 + days for a while. I was responding to that. I can deal with it being cut to a 7 day, no big deal, but would still expect some sort of compensation. I don't think we're disagreeing on anything, maybe just a little needed clarity. 

If they do a 3 or 4 day early on yes I would expect the prior cruise to be cancelled.

Yes I said probably more obc, seems carnivals way to do obc if you lost a day I said. Just depends on cdc. This order runs out nov 2021, and until then or cdc removes it, who knows. I'm betting my ports are topsy turvy if I cruise. Luckily I dont care so much about ports. 

Guess we all have to wait. I'm out of Galveston so I'm betting we dont start up as soon as florida. We have dream alternating 6 and 8 days cruises next year. But I booked vista 7 day.

• Like 1

If I had an 8 day cruise one solution would be to change it to two 4 day cruises. At four days, everyone gets off, lunch is served on the pier, and new sign and sail cards are handed out. All aboard, muster drill, and we have a brand spanking new cruise. 

Anyone else have a problem?

6 minutes ago, Moviela said:

If I had an 8 day cruise one solution would be to change it to two 4 day cruises. At four days, everyone gets off, lunch is served on the pier, and new sign and sail cards are handed out. All aboard, muster drill, and we have a brand spanking new cruise. 

While it may appear to be two cruises, can that really be considered two cruises? When booking back to back cruises, you are considered an in-transit passenger and on many cruise lines, you wouldn't have to attend the muster drill on the second itinerary. In addition, for the intents and purposes of the PVSA, a back to back cruise can be restricted as they consider one cruise to be your initial embarkation point to your final disembarkation point regardless of the number of segments and will require a minimum of one night spent ashore to be in compliance.

I'm not sure it's that easy as transitioning an 8 night cruise into two 4 night cruises.

Edited by xDisconnections

3 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The potential problem with that, and this is just conjecture on my part, is that would be viewed as two cruises. If passengers are going to be required to have a negative COVID test prior to a cruise, that could negate your suggestion. I also don’t understand how B2B cruises will be allowed if testing is required prior to a cruise. Of course this is all speculation right now. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If passengers are going to be required to have a negative COVID test prior to a cruise, that could negate your suggestion.

If a passenger is within a bubble, a new test is not required now. Airlines are already scheduling bubble flights to avoid repetitive unnecessary testing. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The potential problem with that, and this is just conjecture on my part, is that would be viewed as two cruises. If passengers are going to be required to have a negative COVID test prior to a cruise, that could negate your suggestion. I also don’t understand how B2B cruises will be allowed if testing is required prior to a cruise. Of course this is all speculation right now. 

I think the cdc said testing when you arrive possibly and when you get off. So dividing it into two 4 days, means double the amt of testing  and we dont know b2bs allowed.

In Singapore where rcl started b2b not allowed.

From Galveston maybe the only port they can reach is cozumel and get back in 4 days. It's not like florida, so doesnt work well for dream 8 day out of Galveston. Who wants b2b going to cozumel only instead? And double testing if even b2b allowed. 

I think they would be better off cutting one day and still able to do 3 ports, if the ports even open.

Rcl said they were going to concentrate on private islands. A 4 day out of Galveston cant reach any. Sounds to me like bad idea to fix a 8 day out of Galveston to me.

Edited by firefly333

We booked a 8 day cruise first week of Feb 2021 and really seeing this  not happening (was 

supposed to be an ABC islands and was changed to something I wasn't thrilled about going to)

Just hoping they know for sure prior to final payment this month

Did buy insurance just in case they do cruise and we change our minds.  

My concern is that someone read an article saying Port of Tampa may not have ships cruise until March or April. And Carnival seems to be limiting ships and ports. We have a cruise booked out of Tampa in January which I am quite certain will not happen. Would like Carnival to inform us sooner than later so I can genuinely search for cruise I will replace it with. Does seem that every rebooked cruise costs a little more though, am happy for the OBC offered.

chill6x6, hope your March cruise is a go, surely by then! But the 8 night cruise possibility remains a mystery.

Edited by cellfree
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rjrice1 said:

We booked a 8 day cruise first week of Feb 2021 and really seeing this  not happening

4 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

I've got an 8-day partial transit out of Tampa in March 2021. I'm starting to get a little apprehensive.

Don't think that either of your cruises will be going as planned. First of all, the CDC 7 day maximum will probably not be rescinded by March and Carnival will probably not be sailing out of Tampa in March.  This is speculation of course, but a safe assumption.

• Like 1

It's been reported that Royal will be starting with short cruises to their private islands.  This makes sense and more than likely Carnival will do the same.  Because of the extra hoops that Carnival needs to go through, this may not happen till late January with longer cruises starting sometime in February.  Of course they need some additional outside ports to be open since they all can't visit Amber Cove, Grand Turk and HMC.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Don't think that either of your cruises will be going as planned. First of all, the CDC 7 day maximum will probably not be rescinded by March and Carnival will probably not be sailing out of Tampa in March.  This is speculation of course, but a safe assumption.

I tend to agree. After our 2 rescheduled cruises were canceled, I am ready to just call it a day.  I'm tired of wondering what is going to happen.  We're ready to cancel and give up the OBC, which i thought i would ever do.

another issue with all the cruises scheduled now is that many of them may be scheduled for ports that will not be accepting cruisers yet. especially with the surge in covid cases around the world but especially in the US. there may be way more cruises scheduled a few months out than places to go.