First ship to sail Caribbean since COVID headed back to port with all passengers quarantined

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The ship has 53 passengers all of whom were tested, and yet they cannot escape Covid. No matter how low a percentage of passengers they have on much larger ships, I think it is safe to say they will not escape Covid. Unfortunate, but true.

Yea I hate to see it but not terribly surprised.  It must be either a case of a false negative at embarkation or someone was still in an incubation period when they boarded.  If you have been following this cruise, the cruise line went full out to detect and prevent this (with the possible exception of no masks on board).

This is troublesome but I’m not surprised either.   Can only hope a vaccine will help.  I honestly am missing cruising so much and although we’ve booked future cruises I am sure hoping we can go and feel safe and not have to cancel.  

That’s a shame but it does sound like there is only one case and they are quarantining everyone “out of an abundance of caution”.  

JMO but the virus is just too rampant now in so many places that it would be hard to avoid one single case.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

That’s a shame but it does sound like there is only one case and they are quarantining everyone “out of an abundance of caution”.  

JMO but the virus is just too rampant now in so many places that it would be hard to avoid one single case.

Even if only one case, unfortunately, the consequences affect all onboard.

Did I miss read the article ?At the end Lund said the passenger who’s test came back Covid said he was feeling ill prior?

He said the passenger who was tested had felt ill before the test. Was that before the cruise or on? Hum🙄

Sorry to hear this!

Denise😊

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Only one case, but only 53 passengers. How many cases might you expect with say 1500 passengers, that's 50% capacity if the ship holds 3000 or 30% capacity if the ship holds 5000?

1 hour ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Here is our story - we also have a writer onboard SeaDream and are following the story: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5727/

They must have been extremely confident that all their precautions would work out since that is at least two cruise writers aboard. Instead of the wonderful publicity they expected, this is what they now have in front of the public.

Months and months ago many said the worst thing that could happen was a premature start with Covid cases showing up on the initial cruises. And now we have it, both here and the early experiences in Europe.

Yes, and Ben and David who covered the transatlantic cruise for us are still onboard. Their story: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5690/. We were also going to have our Editor in Chief onboard next week's sailing. 

SeaDream was able to do a successful Norway season this past summer, and their procedures were less strict than they are right now. They did have a quarantine situation because a past guest tested positive when they got home. But none of the current passengers or crew on that sailing ended up getting the virus and in the end, it was a false positive situation. 

The thinking was that multiple COVID tests, as well as intense cleaning procedures, would keep cases off the ship. Originally, SeaDream didn't require masks; they changed that policy on Monday night. Hopefully that change came fast enough to prevent a larger outbreak. We shall find out in next few days. 

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris

This was so predictable and will happen to most cruises departing from a USA port.  Why?  Once anyone is exposed to COVID there is generally a 3-5 day period where they will still test negative (even with the best PCR test).   There have been some posts that say one would need to wait up to 7 days to be sure, but 3-5 seems to be the widely accepted period.  So when folks board a ship, no matter how often they are tested prior to boarding (or after boarding) it is still possible that they harbor the bug.   So now imagine a mega ship at only 50% of capacity sailing out of Florida. You would have several thousand souls and we assume they would have all tested negative prior to boarding.  What are the odds that at least one person contracted COVID during their travels to the port?  Lets assume the odds were 500:1 against contracting the virus.  That means that out of every 1000 passengers you would still have two likely cases that would slip through the testing protocols.  

I have posted this before and challenged anyone here on CC to correct my thinking but, so far, there have been no takers.  The CDC is also very aware of this problem and tried to gloss over the issue in their Guidelines by specifying PCR testing.   But even PCR will not generally detect those who were recently exposed to COVID.  I think the only sure solution is to quarantine all passengers, at a hotel near the port, for about a week before they are allowed to board the ship.  Of course that is not going to happen for passengers (although there is an quarantine scheme being used for the crew on some vessels in Europe).  That being said, the European cruise have already reported over 140 cases of COVID despite tough measures.

I also wonder about all this emphasis on extensive cleaning.  We are talking about an airborne virus that is nearly always spread via the air...not a surface.  Even the CDC says : "COVID-19 spreads less commonly through contact with contaminated surfaces."

Ask contract tracers how many cases they have confirmed due to surface spread and you are likely get a big zero.   Cleaning is good and might help, but all this cleaning talk just helps cover up that nearly all cases are caught through the air....a much tougher problem to mitigate.

Hank

29 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

They didn't wear masks for the first two days!!!!

Why didn't they wear masks until the mid-voyage test cleared everyone!🙄

The writers on board said they felt they did not need to because of the extensive pre-testing.  I assume they must have switched to masks on Monday when the passenger felt ill?

... cruising won't be back until (my guess) ...

1) there's a widely-available vaccine with 90%-plus efficacy and,

2) all passengers (100%) can prove, not just claim, they have been vaccinated. 

So no anti-vaxers, no exemptions for those with real or imagined reasons why they can't/shouldn't/don't feel like being vaccinated. Even if the regulators aren't quite that strict, the insurers will be. A handful of Covid deaths will wipe 100s of millions off the balance sheets of CCL and others. 

We are some months, maybe a year, from realistically achieving 1) and 2) in North America.

Edited by voyageur9
added "widely-available"
11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The ship had a successful season in Scandinavia, and a successful transatlantic crossing. 
As soon as they got to Barbados and let North Americans board, all hell breaks loose. 
I guess we won’t be sailing anytime soon.

No surprise, we just had 165,000 new cases in one day.  Who would have believed that possible?

Just now, voyageur9 said:

... cruising won't be back until (my guess) ...

1) there's a vaccine with 90%-plus efficacy and,

2) all passengers (100%) can prove, not just claim, they have been vaccinated. 

So no anti-vaxers, no exemptions for those with real or imagined reasons why they can't/shouldn't/don't feel like being vaccinated. Even if the regulators aren't quite that strict, the insurers will be. A handful of Covid deaths will wipe 100s of millions off the balance sheets of CCL and others. 

We are some months, maybe a year, from realistically achieving 1) and 2) in North America.

Which is why our next cruise is May 2022. 

Why anyone would book a cruise, pay a deposit without 100% assurance that one's money could be returned, given the situation in the United States currently, are demonstrating thinking that I fail to comprehend.  

Lots of good pricing?  Yes.  "I want to cruise so bad, I just have to have something booked?"  Who among us don't share such thoughts?  If, by doing so, it makes good common sense. 

"Common sense" seems to be a rare commodity within one's thoughts anymore.  

Sadly cruising will never really resume successfully until the response to a case of COVID being discovered is no longer termination of the sailing.

In simple terms if I go to a hotel or resort for my vacation and some other guest tests positive THEY quarantine and are eventually sent home.

If I spend my vacation time and money on a cruise and another passenger tests positive then THEY AND I BOTH quarantine and end our trip.

Which scenario would you choose (honestly)?

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Exactly what I thought when I first read noone, crew or passengers were required to wear masks from time they boarded on Saturday till Monday afternoon when captain announced everyone had to immediately start wearing a mask.   Just plain stupid if you ask me.

It was probably on monday when someone felt sick.

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

The writers on board said they felt they did not need to because of the extensive pre-testing.  I assume they must have switched to masks on Monday when the passenger felt ill?

I dont consider their testing to be extensive.  Barbados required negative test within 72 hrs of entering their country.  Then cruiseline did their own test before boarding.

Exactly what is proposed by cruise lines healthy sail protocols.  

The sick passenger could have contracted while traveling to barbados and took the usual 4 to 5 days to show up.  All the more reason they should have all been wearing masks!  Foolish!!

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Whoever tested positive had it anyway.  Masks reduced the chances of more getting it, not known yet if any did.  Regardless, they're locked up and the cruise is over.  How it will be handled in Barbados unknown.  Sounds fun............

Edited by bouhunter