First ship to sail Caribbean since COVID headed back to port with all passengers quarantined

8 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Whoever tested positive had it anyway.  Masks reduced the chances of more getting it, not know yet if any did.  Regardless, they're locked up and the cruise is over.  How it will be handled in Barbados unknown.  Sounds fun............

Looks like the CDC was right for once. It is too dangerous to be cruising! Too scary without masks and distancing. Cruises longer than 7 days may be a nightmare if you discover the outbreak in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean!!!!

Do you suppose...... that the CDC knows more about infectious diseases than the average Facebook doctor???? 🙄

What I see as the most serious problem is the unreliability of rapid COVID tests, particularly when they produce a false positive.  They are not 100% accurate and some have proven only 98% accurate.  One of the reasons we had the problems we had on the Westerdam in February was that a passenger had a false positive at an airport after leaving the ship.  Even if the tests are 99.9% accurate, and you test all 2000 passengers on a cruise ship a couple will show a false positive and now all 2000 passengers are to be quarantined.  You would retest the person, but you would likely have to use a different type of test and it might take 4 or 5 days for the results.

16 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The ship had a successful season in Scandinavia, and a successful transatlantic crossing. 
As soon as they got to Barbados and let North Americans board, all hell breaks loose. 
I guess we won’t be sailing anytime soon.

I agree. I wouldn't even say "North Americans," since that's so broad an area. I'd say it's a good guess it was among the 37 Americans on board. 

I am looking forward to cruising with like-minded cruisers, those who take Covid and Covid precautions seriously.

Cases world wide are on the rise, we're not even close to flatting the curve let along making a dent in this pandemic. Don't know why any one would think it's save to cruise or mingle with a crowd of strangers. 

9 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

What I see as the most serious problem is the unreliability of rapid COVID tests, particularly when they produce a false positive.  They are not 100% accurate and some have proven only 98% accurate.  One of the reasons we had the problems we had on the Westerdam in February was that a passenger had a false positive at an airport after leaving the ship.  Even if the tests are 99.9% accurate, and you test all 2000 passengers on a cruise ship a couple will show a false positive and now all 2000 passengers are to be quarantined.  You would retest the person, but you would likely have to use a different type of test and it might take 4 or 5 days for the results.

Perhaps you didn't see my earlier post.  No test (rapid antigen or PCR) will detect COVID during the first 3-5 days after one is exposed to the virus.  So even when any test is working properly there is no known way to ascertain that any passenger did not contract COVID during the few days prior to embarkation.  The particular person that ultimately tested positive flew under the radar screen until he actually developed symptoms.   That also happened quite routinely on the European cruises (both Ocean and River) where more then 140 folks came down with COVID on cruises.

Hank

19 hours ago, voyageur9 said:

... cruising won't be back until (my guess) ...

1) there's a widely-available vaccine with 90%-plus efficacy and,

2) all passengers (100%) can prove, not just claim, they have been vaccinated. 

We are some months, maybe a year, from realistically achieving 1) and 2) in North America.

Yep, that for us too. No cruising or even any type of away from home vacation until a vaccine is readily available and widely distributed. Its sad, but our long term health is more important that missing out on vacation plans in the near term. 

This is upsetting, but not surprising. We are in lockdown mode, even questioning a scheduled ophthalmologist appointment. No family Thanksgiving gathering or any trips for now. It’s just too dangerous with the amount of cases on the rise. Who knows when it will be safe to cruise again?

4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I agree. I wouldn't even say "North Americans," since that's so broad an area. I'd say it's a good guess it was among the 37 Americans on board. 

I am looking forward to cruising with like-minded cruisers, those who take Covid and Covid precautions seriously.

I’m Canadian. Most of us are hard wired to be diplomatic.😁

That said, I would be willing to add a pre embarkation 3 - 5 day quarantine in a designated hotel with a nice balcony to the mix if it would make the cruise a go.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, KirkNC said:

Yea I hate to see it but not terribly surprised.  It must be either a case of a false negative at embarkation or someone was still in an incubation period when they boarded.  If you have been following this cruise, the cruise line went full out to detect and prevent this (with the possible exception of no masks on board).

The article indicated that the infected passenger had been tested with the 15 min. test which is notorious for false results.  It didn't indicate a second test being administered.  If it were me, I would insist on a second test right away if the first test showed positive.  If that second one also showed positive, so be it.  But if the second showed negative, a third should be given with the 2 out of 3 same result carrying the most weight.

Have a Norway cruise booked in late June; I'm sure testing will be required and will follow my rule as noted above.

Donna

16 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Whoever tested positive had it anyway.  Masks reduced the chances of more getting it, not known yet if any did.  Regardless, they're locked up and the cruise is over.  How it will be handled in Barbados unknown.  Sounds fun............

Exactly!    I suspect the person got it while traveling to Barbados and it took the normal 3 to 5 days to impact them.   Hopefully they are okay.      Hopefully others will not be impacted since no one was wearing masks from Saturday afternoon to Monday evening.   

Definitely not how I want to vacation with that hanging over my head.

22 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

The article indicated that the infected passenger had been tested with the 15 min. test which is notorious for false results.  It didn't indicate a second test being administered.  If it were me, I would insist on a second test right away if the first test showed positive.  If that second one also showed positive, so be it.  But if the second showed negative, a third should be given with the 2 out of 3 same result carrying the most weight.

Have a Norway cruise booked in late June; I'm sure testing will be required and will follow my rule as noted above.

Donna

Remember the person went to Ship Doctor saying they felt ill.     I suspect they went to doctor on Monday afternoon and this is the reason the Captain called for everyone to immediately start wearing masks Monday at diner time.

Unfortunately the fast tests are the only option that the cruise ships have right now.  If you really want it to work, do the following:

1.  Have a negative test within 72 hours of arrival in port,

2.  You are quarantined for seven days upon arrival at the port,

3.  You are tested again prior to boarding.

Other then the false negative risk, that would work.  

Four close associates of the original passenger with Covid have tested positive, and another one had antibodies. As stated above, it can take 3 days for the infection to be detectable, while quarantined. There are no balconies. What kind of ventilation system does SeaDream have? The ventilation system will be a major stress point. However, there are no signs it has moved without close contact so far!

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/11/12/five-passengers-cruise-ship-caribbean-test-positive-covid-19/6271044002/

7 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m Canadian. Most of us are hard wired to be diplomatic.😁

What is it in your education system that has become lost in the curriculum and values of your Southern neighbors?  

37 minutes ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

Four close associates of the original passenger with Covid have tested positive, and another one had antibodies. As stated above, it can take 3 days for the infection to be detectable, while quarantined. There are no balconies. What kind of ventilation system does SeaDream have? The ventilation system will be a major stress point. However, there are no signs it has moved without close contact so far!

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/11/12/five-passengers-cruise-ship-caribbean-test-positive-covid-19/6271044002/

Well that officially makes this a crash and burn.  How can a ship of 1,000 do as good or better?  A 10% infection rate despite the same precautions the major lines plan to use as well (with the exception of mask usage).  It’s hopeless, Arnold Donald was right, there can be no cruising until we no longer have to socially distance.  That may mean all the same protocols used on this cruise plus proof of a vaccine (but even then the vaccine is not 100%).  Geez...

16 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Unfortunately the fast tests are the only option that the cruise ships have right now.  If you really want it to work, do the following:

1.  Have a negative test within 72 hours of arrival in port,

2.  You are quarantined for seven days upon arrival at the port,

3.  You are tested again prior to boarding.

Other then the false negative risk, that would work.  

Yep, that is a solution.  But that also means that nobody can leave the ship in any port where there are any other folks ashore.  The only viable port would be an empty private island or empty private enclave at some port.   Getting back to the Sea Dream, it is the perfect example of what I have been posting for many months.  Testing is not going to work and near worthless if the goal is avoid all cases of COVID.  All the PR about testing (promoted by politicians, medical authorities, etc) is somewhat of a con.  Testing does nothing to prevent COVID and not very important in the treatment of COVID (most treatment is about treating the symptoms) other then to determine if a therapeutic is a good idea.  In the case of cruise ships the main benefit of testing is to let the ship know when it is time to quarantine the entire ship :(.  

I try looking at COVID with common sense and facts!  We cannot stop this virus without some help from one or more vaccines.  All the proposals to resume cruising are based on a false premise...that testing can stop COVID!  Someday historians will look back on this period and say that all this emphasis on testing is akin to lunacy!  Testing has its place, but is far from a panacea.  Common sense goes a lot further then testing to minimize one's risk of getting COVID.  Social distancing is the only real preventative (you cannot get the virus if you are not exposed) and a mask (wear you cannot social distance) obviously gives some help (how much is a big question).   Ashore, most of us have power to deal with our own risk level and COVID prevention.  On a ship we lose that power and are at the mercy of luck.  Anytime you use an elevator you are at some risk...and most cannot avoid elevators on vessels.  Social distancing on a vessel is near impossible, especially if one wants to enjoy the cruise experience.

Hank

Hi all. We are continually updating our stories, as we have a freelance writer onboard (Sue Bryant). This am, the count is seven positives. Five are from a family group traveling together and then another couple. The crew and the rest of the passengers are negative, after two tests (one from the ship and the other by the Barbados authorities). 

We will be updating these two stories as we get more information: 

Live from SeaDream: When Your Caribbean Cruise Has a COVID-19 Case

SeaDream Yacht Club Cuts Short First Caribbean Cruise Back

I'm probably posting this in the wrong thread but I'm going to ask anyway.  DW and I have not been tested for the virus.  We've had no reason to be tested.  My question is this:  After you are tested and shown to be positive or negative; do they give you something in writing to prove you are as tested?  I keep seeing all these comments about testing but how do you know somebody has been tested and what the results of that test was/are?  When the time comes for a vaccine are they planning to hand you some form of card or other means to prove you have had the vaccine?  Just confused how all of this is supposed to work.

While I have not been tested I am sure you get documentation of your results.  Those results are required for entry in many countries (and Hawaii) so you would have to have documentation.

I suspect the vaccine documentation will be similar to what you get for yellow fever or hepatitis.  We have a little yellow book that documents our vaccinations.