Jump to content

First ship to sail Caribbean since COVID headed back to port with all passengers quarantined


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

 

Since you asked, mine has been pretty good... and yours?

 

 

Excellent. I've canceled all my bookings in April/May except for Iceland August 2021.

 

P.S. I think that the CDC has been exactly right. Can't see cruises resuming in the States for a long time.

Edited by HappyInVan
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Not saying they shouldn't be more careful and considerate, but when it comes to covid most of them are.

Most is not all. I saw on one of the all news channels the other day a promo that they were about to interview the parents of a 5 year old who had died from Covid. 

 

Meanwhile, things can also go too far the other way. My DW's school was recently quarantined with all teaching going virtual because one student tested positive. It turns out no one in the student's family or anyone else caught the virus. And the student never showed any symptoms. It sure sounds like a very probable false positive adversely affected a lot of lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were at a wedding yesterday, a nephew. Those of us not in the wedding party all wore masks

 

The Father of some very dear friends and important people of mine recently suddenly passed away.  For several days, I dreaded the phone call that I might receive to invite me to come to Leon's funeral.  I have been successful in remaining in my limited bubble and staying well.  Attending an event such as a funeral would be a serious break in my bubble and expose me to the virus that, due to my own health, is something that I need to avoid as best as I can.

 

To not attend would be dishonoring the memory of the gentleman and might be considered to be unsupportive of my friends.  To attend, would put me at the greatest risk that I have experienced since mid-March.  What ought I do?  I worried about this; I lost sleep over the issue.  

 

Thankfully for me, the family chose to have a private service that included only the gentleman's immediate family. 

 

Covid-19 does not just have a potential impact on one's physical well being.  It impacts us mentally and emotionally as well.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

 

The Father of some very dear friends and important people of mine recently suddenly passed away.  For several days, I dreaded the phone call that I might receive to invite me to come to Leon's funeral.  I have been successful in remaining in my limited bubble and staying well.  Attending an event such as a funeral would be a serious break in my bubble and expose me to the virus that, due to my own health, is something that I need to avoid as best as I can.

 

To not attend would be dishonoring the memory of the gentleman and might be considered to be unsupportive of my friends.  To attend, would put me at the greatest risk that I have experienced since mid-March.  What ought I do?  I worried about this; I lost sleep over the issue.  

 

Thankfully for me, the family chose to have a private service that included only the gentleman's immediate family. 

 

Covid-19 does not just have a potential impact on one's physical well being.  It impacts us mentally and emotionally as well.   

I understand fully. We were all over the place about attending the wedding. We knew when we heard the reception would be in the house with no requirements, that was a definite no for us.

 

It seems that the wedding place had a limit for attendance, and only family was invited. The reception was originally also to be there, and there were too many friends to allow them to hold the reception there. And as I said, when DW saw the wedding party was not putting on masks after the ceremony, she immediately told me we were leaving. And when the boss orders something, you do not question it.😉

 

BTW, our adult son opted out of going to the wedding.

 

Glad your situation worked out to be the best for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And as I said, when DW saw the wedding party was not putting on masks after the ceremony, she immediately told me we were leaving. And when the boss orders something, you do not question it.😉

 

I think Captain Albert said that the best:  "She who should not be disobeyed".  Or, something close to that!

 

Or, to recall a phrase that I remember from many years ago:  "Mother knows best".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys,

 

Stay safe. I'm amazed that only 35 states have some kind of mask mandate. NO chance that we can sail out of Florida till spring.

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa/as-u-s-pandemic-intensifies-north-dakota-becomes-35th-state-to-require-masks-idUSKBN27U0P7

 

 

Over here, we lost the youngest person yet. Married man in his 30s. Healthy, minor covid symptoms. Died suddenly in his sleep.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7463418/man-in-30s-dies-covid-bc-coronavirus/

 

 

The good news is that the price for 3-ply masks (with melt-blown middle layer) has collapsed over here. Scored boxes at US$10. Don't waste your time with reusable masks. Use the lightweight advanced masks favoured by medical professionals.

 

 

Duke Uni mask test.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, fyree39 said:

I agree. I wouldn't even say "North Americans," since that's so broad an area. I'd say it's a good guess it was among the 37 Americans on board. 

 

I am looking forward to cruising with like-minded cruisers, those who take Covid and Covid precautions seriously.

 

Just wondering how one can guarantee that everyone onboard is like-minded?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 12:03 PM, rothbury said:

I guess I could have been a little clearer with my question.  I know numerous people that have been tested and have no documentation.  They were called by phone and told their test was negative, or in one case, positive. 

I'm not sure about the procedure in other jurisdictions, but I believe that in our community the test results are available via a privacy-protected website where individuals can presumably download and print their results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 If the long awaited, and probably required, vaccine triggers a false positive, the first few post-vaccine cruise embarkations will be chaos. You won’t be able to cruise without the vaccine. The false positive preboarding test may not let you cruise WITH the vaccine. 
I’m hoping that by next fall there is a) a reliable vaccine, and b) any confusion over how it affects test results has been sorted out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

 If the long awaited, and probably required, vaccine triggers a false positive, the first few post-vaccine cruise embarkations will be chaos. You won’t be able to cruise without the vaccine. The false positive preboarding test may not let you cruise WITH the vaccine. 
I’m hoping that by next fall there is a) a reliable vaccine, and b) any confusion over how it affects test results has been sorted out.

You will not have to wait too much longer.  There is another successful vaccine out by Moderna.  It's 95% effective and it can be distributed at standard temperatures 🙂

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/16/moderna-says-its-coronavirus-vaccine-is-more-than-94percent-effective.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

 If the long awaited, and probably required, vaccine triggers a false positive, the first few post-vaccine cruise embarkations will be chaos. You won’t be able to cruise without the vaccine. The false positive preboarding test may not let you cruise WITH the vaccine. 
I’m hoping that by next fall there is a) a reliable vaccine, and b) any confusion over how it affects test results has been sorted out.

should not be an issue the rapid tests are antigen tests and should not be triggered by the vaccine generated antibodies. Antigens that are being tested for are generated by the virus. While antigen tests do have some false positives, as well as false negatives the number should not be impacted by vaccinations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...