Passenger test positive for Covid

A passenger on the Sea Dream Yacht  the first cruise in the Caribbean since the shutdown has tested positive for Covid according to Cruise Critic.  The cruise is being cut short and is returning to Barbados. All passengers are under quarantine.  Reuters also has published a article.  This is with all the testing done before arriving in Barbados and tested again before boarding. I apologize as for some reason I'm not able to post the article.

Article is now on the front page of cruise critic.

Edited by franktown
add

Not really surprised, but if a smaller ship like this has a case, what are the odds for bigger ships even with capacity controls.  I'm not saying cruising shouldn't take place.  I have one scheduled for May and I'm trying to figure out if I will go. 

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

damn ... still developing story

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5727/

Obviously not news that the cruise industry welcomes  . imo this virus is far  more dangerous that the yearly flu  .If it mutates again ,all the vaccines & antibodies do no good against the new strain . There is evidence that that many people who recovered from the virus may have permanent major organ damages . This is such a horrid illness 

well, let's hope that a definitive "breakdown point in protocols'" ( if one exists ) can be determined and addressed in the future

not gonna be the last time this occurs unfortunately

hoping for a false positive

I am not surprised that this would happen. This virus is so much worse than we have been told and so many folks are not taking it serious. Just wait and see what will happen after the holidays. With over 1200 folks dying yesterday, hospitals filling up, doctors and nurses stressed to the ends, and still waiting for a vaccine, this almost had to happen. Can you imagine what would happen if this was a ship with 2000+- folks and they all had to be quarantined in a small place like Barbados, wow, what a mess. Oh well, looks like 2022 might be better, lets hope.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Obviously not news that the cruise industry welcomes  . imo this virus is far  more dangerous that the yearly flu  .If it mutates again ,all the vaccines & antibodies do no good against the new strain . There is evidence that that many people who recovered from the virus may have permanent major organ damages . This is such a horrid illness 

It depends on how it mutates. Some mutations won't affect a vaccine's effectiveness or antibodies, others will. 

Way back when this nightmare had just begun, many posted that the worst thing that could happen was a premature start and Covid breaking out on those cruises. Now we have the early European experiences. And now this with only 53 passengers. Even a capacity controlled ship from the major cruise lines is going to easily have 30 times that number. Does anyone really expect that they will be able to keep the virus off the ship?

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Way back when this nightmare had just begun, many posted that the worst thing that could happen was a premature start and Covid breaking out on those cruises. Now we have the early European experiences. And now this with only 53 passengers. Even a capacity controlled ship from the major cruise lines is going to easily have 30 times that number. Does anyone really expect that they will be able to keep the virus off the ship?

imo the only way that the covid 19 virus can be defeated is every person that can  get the vaccine takes it & it may be like the flu shot every year a new vaccine to cover the new strains  . Otherwise it would be mandatory for masks & social distancing & even then the virus can attack in such close quarters as in cruise ships  

Just read an article written by "The Points Guy" a few days ago.  He was/is on this ship/cruise.  He wrote up a nice piece with pictures and walked the reader through the whole boarding process.  Everything looked really good to me until he noted (with pictures) that once he boarded the ship no one wore masks.  

Part of me was intrigued with how it would pan out and part of me was dreading hearing the inevitable.  Not saying the masks are the end-all-be-all but one would think that at this point in the pandemic...maybe a cruise line no matter how small would still mandate masks.   

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

Just read an article written by "The Points Guy" a few days ago.  He was/is on this ship/cruise.  He wrote up a nice piece with pictures and walked the reader through the whole boarding process.  Everything looked really good to me until he noted (with pictures) that once he boarded the ship no one wore masks.  

Part of me was intrigued with how it would pan out and part of me was dreading hearing the inevitable.  Not saying the masks are the end-all-be-all but one would think that at this point in the pandemic...maybe a cruise line no matter how small would still mandate masks.   

They did mandate mask on day 3.  The Point Guy is still on the ship and reported they are confined to their state room.  I guess now the question is will Barbados let them dock and how soon can they go home.

Do the math! It's just not safe to sail from a high risk area, even with a vaccine.

A 90% efficacy vaccine would mean 300 'un-protected' persons on a 3k pax ship. Even with stringent testing, an infected will slip through. Throw in to a Typhoid Mary carrier ...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/woman-shed-infectious-coronavirus-particles-141400890.html

You're end up with another Ruby Princess.

You can bet that after vaccination, the vast majority of people will stop distancing and masking!

12 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Do the math! It's just not safe to sail from a high risk area, even with a vaccine.

A 90% efficacy vaccine would mean 300 'un-protected' persons on a 3k pax ship. Even with stringent testing, an infected will slip through. Throw in to a Typhoid Mary carrier ...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/woman-shed-infectious-coronavirus-particles-141400890.html

You're end up with another Ruby Princess.

You can bet that after vaccination, the vast majority of people will stop distancing and masking!

That is exactly where we are on this.   Cannot imagine traveling to a US port for quite some time, let alone boarding a cruise ship.

Although there may be limited cruising, one cannot expect the cruise industry to resume at anything like normal activities until we have a vaccine widely available.  I believe that both the vaccine and even the Influenza Vaccine will be required before one is able to book a cruise. 

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

Although there may be limited cruising, one cannot expect the cruise industry to resume at anything like normal activities until we have a vaccine widely available.  

Limited cruising? You have to be kidding! 🙄

Do the math. 50k cases/day = 900 deaths/day. 150k cases/day = ???

Does your governor seriously expect tourists to come and spend money in FL? What is he doing to protect tourists and residents?

54 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

Points Guy is reporting 5 cases in total of COVID now have been reported or almost 10% of passengers on board 😞

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-passengers-test-positive-for-covid-on-caribbean-cruise-ship/

In addition to the 5, he said 20 passengers have not been tested yet. There very well could be more positive test results. And another troubling thing in that article is that they do not know how long they will be quarantined.

Just curious, How many folks think that this one ship will end most of the sailing for 2021. I think it really will impact how we all choose to vacation for at least the next year and maybe even 2022 unless we can really get everyone on board to understand how deadly this can be and long term concerns of this virus if you do not die from it. We will be visiting our back yard  and deck , just the 2 of us, for the holidays and maybe zoom with family, but not worth risking our lives to be part of a chance to sail as a volunteer even if the trip were free. Yes, we even have snow right now, but still getting out on the deck.....