Princess not selling any 8+ day cruises that visit US ports thru 11/1/21

Just received an email on this.

Princess Cruise Lines logo

Sale of cruises 8 days and longer put on hold 

Hi everyone,

As travel restrictions continue to evolve, we are doing our best to communicate the latest changes to our valued travel advisor community – that’s you! Below, you will find an important update regarding our current cruise deployment and we hope this notice will prepare you for any questions your clients may have. 

Princess Cruises has reviewed the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Framework for Conditional Sailing and is seeking additional clarification to fully understand the requirements. While we await further information, we have (temporarily) stopped selling all cruises eight days and longer which call upon a U.S. port and depart January 1 through November 1, 2021. For those who are currently booked on one of these cruises, we ask for your patience to receive further information from Princess Cruises on whether your cruise is impacted. 

Thank you for your continued support!

Best regards,

John Chernesky headshot

John Chernesky signature
John Chernesky

Senior Vice President
North America Sales & Trade Marketing
Princess Cruises and Cunard Line

Follow on Facebook Follow on YouTube Follow on Instagram Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest

Correct. There are a few other threads regarding this.

It is quite the BUMMER! However, it is only supposed to affect

those itineraries which involve an American port.

However, it is strange that so far, the longer than 7 day cruises

for the Caribbean, are still available. They depart from Ft. Lauderdale.

5 minutes ago, nini said:

Correct. There are a few other threads regarding this.

It is quite the BUMMER! However, it is only supposed to affect

those itineraries which involve an American port.

However, it is strange that so far, the longer than 7 day cruises

for the Caribbean, are still available. They depart from Ft. Lauderdale.

the website my still be updating - but look closely at those cruises and see if they are after 10/31/21 and into 2022

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

the website my still be updating - but look closely at those cruises and see if they are after 10/31/21 and into 2022

I looked at February and March 2021 and they were available.

However, I was also thinking that they are still in the updating process.

Bummer... we had been thinking of booking a 10 day in February for my BIG birthday.

My fellow cruisers, good grief!

7 minutes ago, nini said:

we had been thinking of booking a 10 day in February for my BIG birthday.

My fellow cruisers, good grief!

when I clicked on those, I got the 'pricing currently not available'

yeah - website updates take time

In the blink of an eye..........

I am glad that I did not waste any deposit money and then have to wait

6 months to get it back. Oh boy, here Princess goes again (and I am sure

all of the other lines as well).

14 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Just a thought, if 8+ days sailing is deemed unsafe to/from US ports what would make it safe to sail from any port outside the US for 8+ days?

Theo

It depends who is doing the deeming. 

I don't think it is necessarily that 8 - 10 nights is unsafe.  It's just that as time goes on, the risk goes up for an outbreak of cases.  It is baby steps to make sure the lines are following new guidelines and can operate safely.  If it goes smoothly, I don't see why longer voyages won't return before Nov 2021. 

It will mean a short-selling period if things change.  Cruise lines work so far ahead to setup ports and itineraries, IDK if they can react quicker.  It is certainly a bummer if they don't try longer voyages for ~11 months.

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

Just a thought, if 8+ days sailing is deemed unsafe to/from US ports what would make it safe to sail from any port outside the US for 8+ days?

Theo

Excellent point. The CDC only has authority in the USA.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

It depends who is doing the deeming. 

I was actually referring to an earlier post which stated that the poster was hoping that it would not affect the British Isle cruise which is normally a 12 day cruise and leaves from a British port. So my thinking is; why OK over in the UK and not in NA?

Theo

44 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I was actually referring to an earlier post which stated that the poster was hoping that it would not affect the British Isle cruise which is normally a 12 day cruise and leaves from a British port. So my thinking is; why OK over in the UK and not in NA?

Theo

Gotcha.  But I presume the cruise lines will just go by whatever rules affect them.  I see this no different than the various ways countries have approached masks, lockdowns, etc.  Which all goes to say there isn't one definitive set of rules or precautions with this virus.  

We are not doing anything much different in our lives except wearing masks in most places that ask for them while friends of ours are a lot more careful and sensitive.  None of us have caught it, so who's to say which approach is best?

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

Theo

Not necessarilty OK in the UK ... but the local authorities there, not the CDC, need to be involved in sail/no sail.   

I’m surprised they were still selling these cruises to begin with.  It seemed contrary to the intent of the latest no-sail order to allow 8 day or longer cruises to stop at US ports, but not originate from them.

Edited by NthernLgts
1 hour ago, NthernLgts said:

I’m surprised they were still selling these cruises to begin with.  It seemed contrary to the intent of the latest no-sail order to allow 8 day or longer cruises to stop at US ports, but not originate from them.

Cruise lines sell cruises up to 2 years out.  Of course they are still selling cruises.  I think actually it is overboard for CarnivalCorp to extend this freeze out to November 1, 2021 but I think they did so just to appease some bureaucrat.  

18 hours ago, Renmar said:

Because they are "following the science"  Didn't you see all of the peer reviewed studies that conclusively show that people will die if they stay on a ship for more than 7 days?  🥴 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Cruise lines sell cruises up to 2 years out.  Of course they are still selling cruises.  I think actually it is overboard for CarnivalCorp to extend this freeze out to November 1, 2021 but I think they did so just to appease some bureaucrat.  

Well, yes they are selling cruises 2 years out, and we are getting ready to purchase one for next November ourselves.  My reference was to 8 day or longer cruises prior to then.  

How is it overboard when what we know today is that there will be no 8 day or longer sailings until November 2021?  I get that it can and may change depending on a vaccine (that has no approval yet).  But for them to sell and take deposits on cruises that have a current no sail order against them seems to open quite a few ethical questions, even for cruise lines.

5 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

Well, yes they are selling cruises 2 years out, and we are getting ready to purchase one for next November ourselves.  My reference was to 8 day or longer cruises prior to then.  

How is it overboard when what we know today is that there will be no 8 day or longer sailings until November 2021?  I get that it can and may change depending on a vaccine (that has no approval yet).  But for them to sell and take deposits on cruises that have a current no sail order against them seems to open quite a few ethical questions, even for cruise lines.

This crisis is only 9 months old (by a generous tally) and I find making projections longer than the duration of the crisis a bit long. Strictly my opinion.  

Edited by Mary229

I wonder what percentage of Princess US cruises are longer than 7 days. Think of all the cruises out of the US that are only 7 days (or less) long:  Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Alaska (out of Seattle), New England (out of New York), Mexican Riviera (out of LA), etc.

43 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

The other thing about this is that the latest CDC order specifically states cruise lines cannot sail OR "offer" to sail on voyages longer than 7 days prior to November of next year.  That seems pretty clear.

So, it's not just Princess, it's every cruise line that wants to sail in U.S. waters that can't make or advertise bookings for 8+ day itineraries.