"First" Caribbean Cruise Underway?: **** Only Thread on Carnival Forum to Discuss This***

There was an official on the news the other night talking about the vaccine.  They stated that it's a series of two shots something like three weeks apart.  Then it takes another month for them to become effective.  If that's true, you're talking close to two months after you get your first shot before it's safe to cruise if the cruise lines demand the shots before you can cruise.

If the shots are available the first of the year, it will be March before you will be allowed to board a ship.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:10 PM, fyree39 said:

As strange as this sounds, I think I had it in September, though nothing I read states the virus as being around then. I had breathing problems, tingling in my extremities and face, heart issues, etc. I couldn't hold my breath for more than 6 or 7 seconds. It was just the strangest thing and I ended up being referred to a cardiologist for further testing. By the time I got into those appointments, everything was back to normal. Weird. Anyway, when Covid hit and we all started hearing about the strange and varied symptoms, I couldn't help but wonder, however unlikely it could be, if I actually had a virus.

You had it September 2019? Even though is hadn't shown up yet in China? Are you patient zero?

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

You had it September 2019? Even though is hadn't shown up yet in China? Are you patient zero?

there has been some evidence it had been around before September.

some American tourists  died in Dominican Republic and i think Peru from similar symptoms.  before the mass outbreak in China. and there is some evidence that the chinese outbreak was sooner based on some of the Chinese Americans buying masks and sanitizer earl on.

but no postive proof.

On 11/14/2020 at 11:11 AM, RWolver672 said:

There was an official on the news the other night talking about the vaccine.  They stated that it's a series of two shots something like three weeks apart.  Then it takes another month for them to become effective.  If that's true, you're talking close to two months after you get your first shot before it's safe to cruise if the cruise lines demand the shots before you can cruise.

If the shots are available the first of the year, it will be March before you will be allowed to board a ship.

Health care workers, elderly will be getting it first. I heard probably not until april before public will have it available, which means more like May or June for cruising. It will be interesting to see how the army pulls this off, with everyone needing 2 shots and so many people seem afraid to want a vaccine until there is more known. I’m ready for it, I’m ready for the world to get back to somewhat normal.

14 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

with everyone needing 2 shots and so many people seem afraid to want a vaccine until there is more known. 

That's my thought too.  There are so many out there that refuse to get a flu shot that has been proven effective for quite some time now because they are afraid of getting the flu from it.  How many are going to feel the same about the Corona vaccine?  

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

That's my thought too.  There are so many out there that refuse to get a flu shot that has been proven effective for quite some time now because they are afraid of getting the flu from it.  How many are going to feel the same about the Corona vaccine?  

From the CDC: "Recent studies by CDC researchers and other researchers suggest that flu vaccination usually reduces the risk of influenza illness by 40% to 60% among the overall population when the vaccine viruses are like the ones spreading in the community."

So we are looking at an effective rate of half (of those taking it). Not to mention the careful wording of a specific strain. Tens of thousands of people still die from flu even though we have the magic vaccine fix available. Hardly very effective. 

The problem with vaccines for this type of virus is that highly communicable ones that are spreading hundreds of thousands and even millions of times, is that it's not unlikely that at some point it mutates from its original form. 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

It is great news.  Congratulations to Moderna (and Pfizer) and all of the dedicated scientists who have done some wonderful work for the rest of us

I agree, it's amazing how effective these vaccines are, considering that the flu vaccine is only 40-60%.

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

I agree, it's amazing how effective these vaccines are, considering that the flu vaccine is only 40-60%.

Flu vaccines are AS effective if they know the strain of the flu that will come that winter.  They have to guess and hence the lower effectiveness.   

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

It is great news.  Congratulations to Moderna (and Pfizer) and all of the dedicated scientists who have done some wonderful work for the rest of us

It is amazingly good news, two candidates with high credentials...now to get cleared and get the show on the road.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is amazingly good news, two candidates with high credentials...now to get cleared and get the show on the road.

Between Pfizer and Moderna, there will be 60 million doses available by the end of this year 🙂

I’m a believer in the flu vaccine. Hubby and I went to Hawaii a couple years back. One of us (me) got a flu shot, the other didn’t. One of us (not me) got the flu about 4-5 days into our trip. He spent most of our trip in bed. Luckily, it wasn’t a bad case, just enough to make him miserable.

I’m ready for a vaccine. I’ve heard many people say they won’t be in any hurry to get it, afraid of life long complications. 

I am fine with the cruise lines eventually requiring proof of vaccination.  It is unfortunate that some people are unable to get vaccines for medical reasons.  However, if that is the case for some people, then their medical situation might not be a good idea to choose cruising while covid is running its course.

I am ready to get the vaccine as soon as it is available.  Those who opt out can continue wearing masks.

23 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I don't see it happening, but if cruise lines require proof of vaccinations,  what about the people who had COVID19? How do you prove you don't need the vacine?  The hubs and I are currently recovering from it.  We will not be getting the vaccine.

AFAIK, it is unclear whether having previously had COVID-19 is equivalent, better, or worse than getting the vaccine in terms of future protection.

Maybe the cruise line will insist on either proof of vaccine or antibody test.  Trouble is, it takes a whole different set of studies to figure out the protection imbued with your own antibodies from already having the virus.  And since the proportion of population that have had the virus is much smaller than the remaining cohort who have not, i.e. those that will benefit from the vaccine, the urgency isn't there yet.

So, IMHO, until that is better defined, the requirement might be to prove you had the vaccine, or get denied.  Too early in the game to tell, AFAICT.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:26 PM, kdr69 said:

I'm afraid that it may be a possibility that a yearly shot is required no different than a flu shot.  I would call it a preventative measure like a flu shot more than i would call it a vaccine if it has no permanent effect like a measles vaccination or chicken pox. hmmmm cant wait to see those headlines lol

I agree an annual vaccination shot, similar to the flu is the most likely case.  We (at an Ohio nursing home) are preparing for that scenario.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:42 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

I don't see it happening, but if cruise lines require proof of vaccinations,  what about the people who had COVID19? How do you prove you don't need the vacine?  The hubs and I are currently recovering from it.  We will not be getting the vaccine.

Possibly an antigen test showing that

Well, as of today Qantas has announced that once it resumes flying, international passengers will be required to show proof of vaccine to travel on the airline.  I would not be the least bit surprised if this became the norm rather than the exception for any international travel - including cruises.

"The move came as global airline trade body IATA said it was developing a "digital travel pass" in conjunction with British Airways owner IAG.

IATA said the travel pass would "manage and verify the secure flow of necessary testing or vaccine information" among governments, airlines, laboratories and passengers to support a return to international travel. "

Qantas Vaccine Rules

On 11/13/2020 at 1:40 PM, fyree39 said:

Very true. Are Americans sailing on MSC? They are on SeaDream I, some 37 of them. Perhaps the problem doesn't lie with the lines, but with the passengers themselves. I have strong misgivings with sailing alongside passengers who think this is a hoax or don't take it seriously.

This!  Too many people think COVID is a method being used by the Government to take control of us.  Why would the Government destroy the economy of the country?  Such nonsense.  When you ask for proof the only thing you get is that thousand mile stare.

2 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

This!  Too many people think COVID is a method being used by the Government to take control of us.  Why would the Government destroy the economy of the country?  Such nonsense.  When you ask for proof the only thing you get is that thousand mile stare.

Way off topic, but the answer to your question is really easy and only 3 letters...AOC.  We have total polarization in our country which prompts just what you say.