Jump to content

Vaccination Certification?


Recommended Posts

On 11/18/2020 at 9:38 AM, navybankerteacher said:

A reasonable hope.  Even if vaccination is 95% effective, on a 3,000 passenger ship 150 of those vaccinated could be presumed not protected. So, letting one person board who was not vaccinated would put the 150 who at least tried to be responsible at risk.

It is not just putting folks at greater risk of getting COVID, but you must also consider that if a single person gets COVID it would likely mean cancelling the cruise not to mention being shut out of any port.  Anti Vaxers certainly have their rights (at least in the USA) but they will have to live with the restrictions that result from their anti vax decision.  I can imagine that there will be other industries that will also adopt a mandatory vaccination (or antibody test) policy such as major resorts, healthcare facilities, and possibly the airlines.   Schools will likely adopt mandatory vaccination rules once the CDC approves a vaccine for children.  In the USA we have been very tolerant of the anti-vaxers but I suspect that the fallout from COVID will change that...perhaps permanently.  

 

Hank

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It is not just putting folks at greater risk of getting COVID, but you must also consider that if a single person gets COVID it would likely mean cancelling the cruise not to mention being shut out of any port.  Anti Vaxers certainly have their rights (at least in the USA) but they will have to live with the restrictions that result from their anti vax decision.  I can imagine that there will be other industries that will also adopt a mandatory vaccination (or antibody test) policy such as major resorts, healthcare facilities, and possibly the airlines.   Schools will likely adopt mandatory vaccination rules once the CDC approves a vaccine for children.  In the USA we have been very tolerant of the anti-vaxers but I suspect that the fallout from COVID will change that...perhaps permanently.  

 

Hank

NY State became much less tolerant of anti-vaxxers when there was a measles outbreak in some communities. The "religious" exemption was removed for attending school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

...

 

In the USA we have been very tolerant of the anti-vaxers but I suspect that the fallout from COVID will change that...perhaps permanently.  

 

Hank

Yes - an illness with significant mortality rates tends to make people rethink their notions of unlimited tolerance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

  Schools will likely adopt mandatory vaccination rules once the CDC approves a vaccine for children.  In the USA we have been very tolerant of the anti-vaxers but I suspect that the fallout from COVID will change that...perhaps permanently.  

 

 

I don't agree with you that you in the USA have been tolerant to anti-vaxers if it's possible to mandate vaccinations to attend school. That will defenitely never happen here.

Edited by sverigecruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sverigecruiser said:

 

I don't agree with you that you in the USA have been tolerant to anti-växters if it's possible to mandate vaccinations to attend school. That will defenitely never happen here.

 

I mean anti-vaxers! (Why can't we edit anymore!?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

 

The edit button is now in the upper right hand corner of your post.

It used to be so much easier to find when you could actually see the word edit without having to click on something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

It used to be so much easier to find when you could actually see the word edit without having to click on something.

 

I have sometimes quoted myself thinking I pressed edit😂. It is going to take some getting use to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

I have sometimes quoted myself thinking I pressed edit😂. It is going to take some getting use to. 

It really does not make much sense to have eliminated the easy to find word edit. I wonder if it was done on purpose or was an unintended consequence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Anti Vaxers certainly have their rights (at least in the USA) but they will have to live with the restrictions that result from their anti vax decision.  I can imagine that there will be other industries that will also adopt a mandatory vaccination (or antibody test) policy such as major resorts, healthcare facilities, and possibly the airlines.   Schools will likely adopt mandatory vaccination rules once the CDC approves a vaccine for children.  In the USA we have been very tolerant of the anti-vaxers but I suspect that the fallout from COVID will change that...perhaps permanently.  

 

I think the anti-vaxers will find themselves excluded from quite a few places and activities, and rightfully so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crazyank said:

I think the anti-vaxers will find themselves excluded from quite a few places and activities, and rightfully so. 

 

I doubt that will happen in many places around the world. It seems like a possibility in the US but probably not in many other places. Is it common to have that kind of restrictions in Germany?

 

I'm defenitely not an anti-vaxer but that doesn't mean that I'm interested in getting a rushed vaccine as soon as it's available to me.

Edited by sverigecruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I doubt that will happen in many places around the world. It seems like a possibility in the US but probably not in many other places. Is it common to have that kind of restrictions in Germany?

Excluding anti-vaxers is more common than you think.  Take a look at the vaccination requirements for travel to certain parts of the world. Or the vaccination requirements for children to start school in a lot of countries.  Because a single case of covid can have such a devastating effect on a cruise and in turn on the cruise line, and because countries will almost certainly require proof of vaccination I think cruise lines would be entirely justified in excluding anti-vaxers.  

Edited by crazyank
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazyank said:

Excluding anti-vaxers is more common than you think.  Take a look at the vaccination requirements for travel to certain parts of the world. Or the vaccination requirements for children to start school in a lot of countries.  Because a single case of covid can have such a devastating effect on a cruise and in turn on the cruise line, and because countries will almost certainly require proof of vaccination I think cruise lines would be entirely justified in excluding anti-vaxers.  

 

I know about the Yellow fever and assume that there are other vaccinations required to enter a limited number of countries but I don't think it's a very common thing.

 

Which kind of vaccinations are required for children to start school in Germany?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazyank said:

Take a look at the vaccination requirements for travel to certain parts of the world. 

 

I did a quick search and the only country I could find which require anything else than Yellow fever was Saudiarabia. Many countries require Yellow fever but only if the person who wants to enter has previously been in Africa or South America. A few countries require Yellow fever.  (It was just a quick search so I'm aware that the information may not be 100% correct but it's enough for me to say that required vaccinations isn't common.)    

 

That doesn't necessary mean that Covid-19 vaccinations may not be required but I don't expect it to be a common thing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can all speculate but only time and written policies will settle this discussion.  But I would be willing to guarantee that many countries of the world that have now imposed various restrictions on visitors such as 14 day quarantines, mandatory COVID testing, etc., will quickly change to a policy mandating a current (whatever that means) COVID vaccination.   Perhaps Sweden will again go its own way, but just like with masks and shutdowns they will be out there on their own little island.   Carrying a shot/vaccination record will be as common (and as necessary) as carrying a Passport.  COVID has changed everything.  COVID has shown the world how expensive it can be when there is a pandemic (or or even epidemic) and many have learned what it is like to lose a loved one due to disease.  Governments, by tradition, are more reactive then proactive and COVID vaccinations will be the new norm.  I suspect some countries will go beyond COVID and require other vaccinations such as annual influenza, DTap, MMR, and perhaps a few others.  The day when government's simply smile and give a nod/wink to so-called anti-vaxers is over!  The fallout from COVID is huge in terms of economics and other related issues.  Here in the USA, a majority of our children have lost an entire year of education and a very important year of social growth.  The lessons of COVID will be with us for many decades.

 

Hank

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, evandbob said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/covid-19-vaccination-passport-for-tourists-is-now-in-development/ar-BB1brZqZ?li=BBnbklE

 

One quote from the above:  

 

Travelers who receive the COVID-19 shot will likely have confirmation of their vaccination digitally linked to their official passports. 

 

Hopefully this will quell many peoples fears regarding travelling in the future and whilst I understand that some won't want a vaccine that's their choice but it's also good policy to separate them from those of us who require one.

 

If your an anti vaxxer you're probably going to have to wait a few years before travelling anywhere.

 

Wife and I are booked on Princess cruise ex Singapore oct 2021 and she was worried about sharing a ship with possibly infected Americans being allowed to travel but I believe this passport will sort that out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...