Holland America Announces They Will No Longer Sell Cruises 8 Days Or Longer Through November 1, 2021

goldsmip115

Well, doesn’t this say it all.  And doesn’t it explain why so many Celebrity cruises longer than 7 days have “suddenly disappeared” from the website.  All Celebrity says is that “all of these cruises are sold out” amazingly overnight.  At least HAL has the courtesy to announce this and inform their booked passengers that they will be communicating with them regarding the future of these cruises. Mwhymthey may not have good answers at least they are honest.  Come on Celebrity, we are not stupid.  Be honest and transparent with us!

• Like 2

I thought the plan being pushed was for cruises 7 days or shorter.  Why would HAL keep 8 day long cruises?  Is there really going to be a risk that a 7 day sailing can go forward but not an 8 day one?

- Joel

• Like 1

Not really the point IMHO.  The point is that this is until November of 2021.  They have at least communicated with their passengers and told those that are booked on longer than 7 day cruises that they will communicate with them whereas Celebrity is using the cover of “all sold out” of still taking bookings......

• Like 1

So I guess that explains why all so many of the longer Celebrity cruises that do call on ports in the US are suddenly “all sold out?”  Sorry, I don’t mean to be sarcastic.  But, some honesty from Celebrity would be much appreciated.  Just saying “honestly we don’t know” as opposed to “your sailing is still scheduled, it is just sold out.  Tell your client it is fine.”  That’s what they told my TA this week.

They told me the same info twice when I called to ask about it on different days. Then today they had the nerve to call me and tried pushing me to book their specialty restaurants and shore excursions which are refundable if anything happened. 

When I explained that I was not interested in excursions because we have friends in Bermuda but would like to know if we would be required to use their excursions or not be allowed off the ship,  I was told they have a great excursion where I can have 4 hours of free walk around time. Are they kidding??  We’ve been there numerous times and have seen all we need to and just going because we love cruising to Bermuda and want to spend time with our friends. That was enough for me. Have decided to book a 5 star resort and spa and with what our flights would be is 1/4 of what this cruise cost us. Will be canceling especially because of their dishonesty. 

2 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

So I guess that explains why all so many of the longer Celebrity cruises that do call on ports in the US are suddenly “all sold out?”  Sorry, I don’t mean to be sarcastic.  But, some honesty from Celebrity would be much appreciated.  Just saying “honestly we don’t know” as opposed to “your sailing is still scheduled, it is just sold out.  Tell your client it is fine.”  That’s what they told my TA this week.

I didn’t read sarcastic as much as frustration.  The title of your post could   be interpreted as HAL had stop selling all cruises over 7  nights.  I was just pointing out that it was  cruises with a US port.  
I too am frustrated but more by the obvious cruises that won’t happen &  an still be booked.  With 6 ships off the coast of Florida, I don’t think there is a chance that the Infinity and Constellation will come to the US for what ever remains of the Caribbean season.  Yet they have not cancelled those cruises, they haven’t been pulled and they are available to be booked  including January & Februrary sailings.

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

What I read says the stop selling is temporary as they seek clarification from the CDC and is for cruises that call on a US port.  So that won’t affect sailing in Europe, Asia, etc.

Exactly! 
The CDC regulations, should they remain unchanged, don’t apply for cruises outside the US/not calling on US ports. 

All people need to do is to take a look at how things started and developed in Europe where the guidelines were/are 99% the same.

At first 3-5 night cruises to nowhere sailed.

7 night cruises followed. No b2b allowed.

Then cruises up to 7 nights with port stops sailed.

No b2b allowed.

After a few weeks b2bs were possible and 14 night cruises started.

Then the second wave hit and most cruise lines stopped sailing again or canceled most cruises.

At the moment for example MSC still sails in Italy (although a high risk region) and TUI Cruises still sail around the Canary Islands. They canceled Greece and cruises to nowhere from Germany. The latter because the German hospitality industry protested. Hotels and restaurants are currently closed due to the temporary shutdown but the ships were allowed to sail... that didn’t go down well with hotel owners etc.

• Like 1

We have been booked on a Panama Canal cruise from LA for almost a year now.  16 nights sailing from LA to FLL on Sept 26, 2021.  I just looked at Celebrity and one other online site and they are both still selling this cruise at much higher price that we booked at. Quick look at deck plans show lots of empty cabins so I have to wonder what is going on.  I guess I will have to wait for June or July to see what they do before final payment.  The games get tiresome, really tiresome. First they devaluate our Elite status, now they are stinging us along with will this sail or not.  Land trips are looking more and more like the thing to do if and when we can start traveling again.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

They told me the same info twice when I called to ask about it on different days. Then today they had the nerve to call me and tried pushing me to book their specialty restaurants and shore excursions which are refundable if anything happened. 

When I explained that I was not interested in excursions because we have friends in Bermuda but would like to know if we would be required to use their excursions or not be allowed off the ship,  I was told they have a great excursion where I can have 4 hours of free walk around time. Are they kidding??  We’ve been there numerous times and have seen all we need to and just going because we love cruising to Bermuda and want to spend time with our friends. That was enough for me. Have decided to book a 5 star resort and spa and with what our flights would be is 1/4 of what this cruise cost us. Will be canceling especially because of their dishonesty. 

Super decision, the resort will provide your desired flexibility and time with your friends, a real Bermuda feel vs the fake cruise environment.

Glad you are kicking Celebrity to the curb, and rightly so, very arrogant approach by them, acting like you are just another addicted lemming.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

We have been booked on a Panama Canal cruise from LA for almost a year now.  16 nights sailing from LA to FLL on Sept 26, 2021.  I just looked at Celebrity and one other online site and they are both still selling this cruise at much higher price that we booked at. Quick look at deck plans show lots of empty cabins so I have to wonder what is going on.  I guess I will have to wait for June or July to see what they do before final payment.  The games get tiresome, really tiresome. First they devaluate our Elite status, now they are stinging us along with will this sail or not.  Land trips are looking more and more like the thing to do if and when we can start traveling again.  

Definately explore other travel options. My household and our travelling group have embraced customized land tours and rarely consider cruising anymore.

We wish authentic and enriched visits and the land tours deliver big time.

A much more indepth approach to travel and often much less expensive.

47 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Definately explore other travel options. My household and our travelling group have embraced customized land tours and rarely consider cruising anymore.

We wish authentic and enriched visits and the land tours deliver big time.

A much more indepth approach to travel and often much less expensive.

So why do you bother commenting on a cruise site.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

If this does eventually apply to Celeb cruises/US ports, what happens to cruises that were lifted and shifted to longer " equivalent" cruises for through 2021, and folks who were hoping to use up some large FCC vouchers.,?

We did lift and shift to Jan 2022. A longer cruise on Reflection....but that's just out of that Nov 2021 period.

Looks like our FCC may evaporate..

11 hours ago, cl.klink said:

I thought the plan being pushed was for cruises 7 days or shorter.  Why would HAL keep 8 day long cruises?  Is there really going to be a risk that a 7 day sailing can go forward but not an 8 day one?

- Joel

That is exactly what they do say. Saying that they will NOT sell cruises of 8 days or longer is the same as saying that all cruises they do sell will be 7 days or less....

(Of course, as amended below, this applies to cruises in US waters...)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leck57 said:

So why do you bother commenting on a cruise site.

I guess he is very bored, clearly he is cranky and has an axe to grind with both cruising and Celebrity.  Apparently he "saw the light" of land vacations and now needs to proselytize and spread the word of evil cruising.  I don't like kool-aid...I much prefer my Celebrity Suite

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

Are Celebrity cruises over 8 nights being sold on the US website?

The UK one has all long cruises as selling at bookable right now.

We have B2B on Equinox Caribbean next November a 12 night followed by 9 nights, booked direct with X and our UK cruise planner has no advice at the moment 

Liz

Our 12 night cruise in May 2021 from Venice and our 10 night cruise in August from Barcelona are  still showing availability on the X website. After reading this thread I am now not very optimistic that either of these cruises will happen.

Edited by terrydtx

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Our 12 night cruise in May 2021 from Venice and our 10 night cruise in August from Barcelona are  still showing availability on the X website. After reading this thread I am now not very optimistic that either of these cruises will happen.

I just cancelled a May 1 TA, transferred the deposit and moved to an Aug 28 European, embark and disembark in Barcelona...though I am still uncertain!

5 hours ago, emmas gran said:

We have B2B on Equinox Caribbean next November a 12 night followed by 9 nights, booked direct with X and our UK cruise planner has no advice at the moment 

Liz

But if those cruises are November next year you are fine anyway as the conditions are until November 1st at the moment?

We really like the look of an August 2021 12 night Caribbean on the Equinox which as of 5 minutes ago I can book no problem. Not sure whether to just book it and hope X are good with deposit refunds and take advantage of the industry uncertainty or leave it. Its a £300 deposit and UK deposits cant be refunded if you simply cancel.

If I go on X's UK website (or even the US one as it switches me to UK price bookings anyway) I can book long cruises as early as April.

10 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

But if those cruises are November next year you are fine anyway as the conditions are until November 1st at the moment?

We really like the look of an August 2021 12 night Caribbean on the Equinox which as of 5 minutes ago I can book no problem. Not sure whether to just book it and hope X are good with deposit refunds and take advantage of the industry uncertainty or leave it. Its a £300 deposit and UK deposits cant be refunded if you simply cancel.

If I go on X's UK website (or even the US one as it switches me to UK price bookings anyway) I can book long cruises as early as April.

My experience with Celebrity deposit refunds has been very positive, of course that is in the US.  If they do not do refunds in the UK, they will allow you to move that deposit to a future sailing. Good luck!

Of course this is Europe, but we still see our 12-night Reflection cruise on the Baltic listed for August 2021.  It is at a higher price than what we have paid.  Noticed also a lot of staterooms on our deck are now showing as sold.

12 hours ago, sisocialworker said:

i have a 14 night NE/Can booked in october 2021...will it sail...if not I wish they would do it now

I have a 9 night Canada/NE booked for Oct 2021. It's been removed from the website but I thought it was just because of the CDC clarification needed.

• Thanks 1