First Caribbean cruise since pandemic shutdown has passenger test positive

I work in healthcare and all of this mask talk bothers me.   Yes, masks provide a degree of protection.  The biggest way to prevent the spread of any infection is hand hygiene.   Before COVID, the big fear in cruising was Norovirus.   My ritual upon first entering my assigned stateroom is to wipe down every hard surface with disinfectant wipes.   I use a UV wand on the bedding.  I also consider every public surface on the ship to be contaminated and use the hand sanitizers frequently on the ship, as well as my own.   I also avoid touching my face until I've washed my hands or used hand sanitizer.  

Door handle, toilets, menus,  elevator buttons,....all harbor and spread germs.  

Until we adopt these practices routinely, all the masks in the world will provide moderate safety only.  

1 minute ago, Saturngrl said:

I work in healthcare and all of this mask talk bothers me.   Yes, masks provide a degree of protection.  The biggest way to prevent the spread of any infection is hand hygiene.   Before COVID, the big fear in cruising was Norovirus.   My ritual upon first entering my assigned stateroom is to wipe down every hard surface with disinfectant wipes.   I use a UV wand on the bedding.  I also consider every public surface on the ship to be contaminated and use the hand sanitizers frequently on the ship, as well as my own.   I also avoid touching my face until I've washed my hands or used hand sanitizer.  

Door handle, toilets, menus,  elevator buttons,....all harbor and spread germs.  

Until we adopt these practices routinely, all the masks in the world will provide moderate safety only.  

Hand hygiene is of course very important too but the major route of COVID transmission is airborne and respiratory droplets.  So masks actually make quite a bit of difference with this particular virus.  Masks and hand washing.  

Well I live in the land of: "Nah nah boo boo, we don't believe in you." I am in Minnesota and all states in the upper Midwest in the US are taking off and not in a good way. As has been stated, people are on their death beds and still saying it's just the flu. How do you change that kind of thinking?

Our governor is supposed to announce this evening that all bars, gyms, restaurants and so on, will be closed for four weeks. And I'm sure there will be those who will still not wear mask.