CRYSTAL SERENITY New Sailings in May 2021

Cruise Wonderland

The itineraries from Singapore to Dubai and Dubai to London Will have to sail in order to get the ship in position.   If they do  sail we will probably book them.  We will wait to book these cruises until the last moment and flights into Singapore may be a problem.

I would anticipate that these two cruises will be very unusual.  Probably few passengers and new crew so they could be interesting.

Well, we have a PH on hold for the B2B, just in case. The two happen to coincide with our 40th Anniversary, which is actually why we are interested. Deposit is not due until early January and final is not until late March, so it gives us some time to see how things play out. Not entirely hopeful they will sail, but nothing at risk by taking out the option for now.

• Like 1

London / Dover ? ???

Whoever writes these itineraries needs to study geography?😏

Highly misleading information as the two places are in excess of 80 miles apart.

It was only last year when they published an itinerary sailing from Norway to Dover with a single sea day in  the Florida Straits. 😁

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

London / Dover ? ???

Whoever writes these itineraries needs to study geography?😏

Highly misleading information as the two places are in excess of 80 miles apart.

It was only last year when they published an itinerary sailing from Norway to Dover with a single sea day in  the Florida Straits. 😁

Crystal has always listed it that way. They do it for other ports that are removed from the city where passengers would need to fly into.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:

The itineraries from Singapore to Dubai and Dubai to London Will have to sail in order to get the ship in position.

Not really.

The ships would have to move from Asia to the UK.  In no way does that require that passengers be aboard, especially if there are restrictions on ports along the way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Crystal has always listed it that way. They do it for other ports that are removed from the city where passengers would need to fly into.

Not just Crystal. This is very typical in the cruise industry and not just for start and finish ports. For example Le Havre (Paris) and Warnemunde (Berlin), entailing long train journeys.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, Emdee said:

I have terrible Crystal withdrawal....would love to go on these cruises.

So would I and the first would suit us well. Unfortunately, I fear these may be too early and could well be cancelled. We will only consider a very last minute booking. Sad but IMHO realistic😞

On 11/14/2020 at 4:16 AM, Texas Tillie said:

On 11/14/2020 at 6:29 PM, kool kruiser said:

Not just Crystal. This is very typical in the cruise industry and not just for start and finish ports. For example Le Havre (Paris) and Warnemunde (Berlin), entailing long train journeys.

Passengers coming from other countries may not know where are Dover / Le Havre / Warnemunde located. So it is common for cruise lines to indicate the nearest city with a major international airport.

More examples include Civitavecchia (Rome), Piraeus (Athens)...

Are European countries allowing B2B cruises?  I had heard they don't allow it and only cruises of 7 days or less are allowed.  Is that true?  We were booked on Serenity for July 2021 for 14 days and my guess it will be cancelled.  

I have B2B plus on another line. Even had trouble booking a cabin for July. I would think it would be safer for crew to have guests on longer as each time we fly or stay in a hotel we see more people.

i hope by July we can cruise in Europe.

or at least go. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Are European countries allowing B2B cruises?  I had heard they don't allow it and only cruises of 7 days or less are allowed.  Is that true?  We were booked on Serenity for July 2021 for 14 days and my guess it will be cancelled.  

I think that you may be thinking of a restriction imposed by the US regulator regarding voyages calling at US ports. Not aware of any such issues in Europe, as many trips exceeding 7 days currently being marketed.

I'm wondering whether one of these trips is worth a punt...

It's a bit earlier than my recent late summer restart prediction but the UK to UK routing might just improve the potential for it to happen. (subject to a thousand things going right between now and then)

However, whenever the restart happens, just what are the chances of Crystal quickly rebuilding the whole service / product package after such a long stop. After all the crew have all been let go a long time ago... And don't tell me they are all standing by for the re-hire call. Some roles can be quickly filled / trained but many surely not?

Personally I would be happy to give the crew plenty of slack on an early restart voyage but I don't want to cruise with fellow passengers who are constantly making me cringe as they give inexperienced crew an impossibly hard time. Will there need to be a 'we're building back, please bear with us' messaging necessary?

Boy, I don't envy those who will be charged with getting things going again!

Adrian   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TER777 said:

Adrian, I'm not suggesting they will actually go, but there are 3 prior cruises still listed starting April 8 from  Singapore so these might not be the first sailings.

Yes, indeed, thanks! Somehow, given the earlier dates involved plus the many borders to be crossed I don't feel very optimistic about any of those three cruises and wonder whether Crystal have concluded that their best chance is to get back to Western Europe. Or perhaps these new cruises are just an exercise in keeping morale up in the planning / sales departments?!  What a guessing game it is..... 

Adrian 

I think it makes a lot of sense for Crystal to start to cruise out of Singapore instead of dead heading to London. It would be good for the crew and for the company to get up to speed with these cruises. However I am not sure how well it would work out for the passengers.  It would be similar to the first cruise after a dry dock.

Many of the ports of call from Singapore to Dubai are opening up to tourism and with the new safety protocols in place it might work.  The Mediterranean ports are more problematic than the ones in Asia.

Also, Dream Cruises is operating out of Singapore now and Genting has some experience working with the Singapore authorities.  Getting the crew into Singapore would be easier than into England.  We should know by the end of the year.  The 90 day cancellation would be in early January.

• Like 1

Yes, I see the argument - and you might well be right.

But what a disaster it would be if the first re-positioning trip with passengers had a covid mishap...

What's more - I guess you either choose to hire your staff several weeks before a Singapore restart to train / retrain / covid train or you hire a little later and carry out your training whilst you are underway. Given that, among many other issues, passengers you embark in Singapore will have inter continental flight considerations, I would think there is much lower risk to plan your restart with a 'return to departure port' itinerary.

The more you think about it the more you realise what a gamble / conundrum you have as a cruise operator to make decisions that will prove to have been the right ones.

Adrian

ps where's Vince when you need him. Do hope he's OK... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

Yes, I see the argument - and you might well be right.

But what a disaster it would be if the first re-positioning trip with passengers had a covid mishap...

What's more - I guess you either choose to hire your staff several weeks before a Singapore restart to train / retrain / covid train or you hire a little later and carry out your training whilst you are underway. Given that, among many other issues, passengers you embark in Singapore will have inter continental flight considerations, I would think there is much lower risk to plan your restart with a 'return to departure port' itinerary.

The more you think about it the more you realise what a gamble / conundrum you have as a cruise operator to make decisions that will prove to have been the right ones.

Adrian

ps where's Vince when you need him. Do hope he's OK... 

you live in the UK so for  you it would not be an international flight but for those in the United States it would still be international flight to England.

Many of the crewmembers are from the Philippines so getting a flight from there to Singapore would be fairly simple.

Another option is to bring the crew on in Singapore and deadhead to Dubai were the cruise season would begin. This would allow for quarantine and training of the crew.

As you said it’s a real gamble for Crystal to make the decision to start cruising.

Philippines is still on lockdown. To switch islands testing and medical paper ..now try gettingOut  in six months time to work a ship. They  need money but going to hard to get crew tested and ready to go back ..plus all their new rules.

• Haha 1