SKY PRINCESS CANCELLATION

Grandma Rambo

I got any email from Princess early this morning informing me that our Sky Princess cruise March, 2022 was cancelled because of deployment issues.

I was shocked, thinking we were safe with a cruise so far out.  They gave no offers for rebooking anything,  

Just an FYI for y'all.

Happy dreaming,

Jennie

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nini said:

Strange...

A) the Princess website shows that the March 5, 2022 (7 day)

is still available.

B) the January 5, 2021 (10 days) is "currently not available". This was

at 10:00 am Pacific Coast time.

The March 12th, 19th, and 26th 2022 sailings for Sky Princess have all been removed from the Princess system pending redeployment.

Any 2021 Cruise departing on or before November 1st 2021 from/to a US port has been put on a stop sell per CDC guidance.  Existing booking are frozen, but not cancelled.

These are two separate situations.

2 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The March 12th, 19th, and 26th 2022 sailings for Sky Princess have all been removed from the Princess system pending redeployment.

Any 2021 Cruise departing on or before November 1st 2021 from/to a US port has been put on a stop sell per CDC guidance.  Existing booking are frozen, but not cancelled.

These are two separate situations.

My point was that what I discovered on the Princess website was that my

findings contradicted what the two other posters stated. And it also includes if the

itinerary INVOLVES an American port.

3 minutes ago, nini said:

My point was that what I discovered on the Princess website was that my

findings contradicted what the two other posters stated. And it also includes if the

itinerary INVOLVES an American port.

Those currently booked on cruises of 8 days or longer departing before 11/1/21 have had NO changes made to their bookings, nor have they been cancelled.  They are basically stuck in limbo.  What Princess has done is put a "stop sell" on these sailings and is not accepting any NEW reservations for them and they will not be advertising them for sale.  This is related to the CDC placing a moratorium on cruises longer than 7 days from US ports.

The poster who was discussing their ALREADY booked sailing of 10 days for 2021 is correct - their booking still exists and shows no changes.  That will most likely change at some point, but for now they have a reservation.  However no one can book a NEW reservation for that sailing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Could be various reasons such as:

A dry dock to handle issues still within the warranty period

Moving to the west coast for the summer Alaska season

Early departure to Europe 

I think it is #2 - I think they are going to reposition her around South America to sail Alaska for Summer 2022 instead of Discovery Princess.  The timing for that is appropriate.  If so then this would be an indication that Discovery will be delayed by 4-6 months and will debut in Europe for Summer 2022 then sail the Caribbean alongside the Enchanted for Fall 2022 - Spring 2023.

I have never seen Princess send a Vessel to Europe that early in March, but a drydock could be possible, though she will only be 2.5 years old in March 2022, usually the first drydock is 4-5 years from launch.  If there is a technical issue they have ample time now to have it corrected before she re-enters service.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Repairs under the construction warranty could happen sooner. But, I would guess these type of fixes would only take a week or so. Heading around S.A. is possible. Don't think the ship fits under the P.C. bridge. It will be cold as March is fall in the southern hemisphere.

We just cancelled a 20 day b2b on Sky leaving Mar 20, 2021.  No vaccine yet and our guess is it would most likely not sail anyway.  Made me pretty sad to do it.  We really enjoyed our b2b TA on Sky a year ago in Nov 2019.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Extra

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Repairs under the construction warranty could happen sooner. But, I would guess these type of fixes would only take a week or so. Heading around S.A. is possible. Don't think the ship fits under the P.C. bridge. It will be cold as March is fall in the southern hemisphere.

If Princess were to have Sky depart Ft Lauderdale on a 50 day sailing around South America to LA that EXACTLY replicates the Discovery’s itinerary she would round Cape Horn on April 5th, which is only about 10 days to 2 weeks later than other currently scheduled sailings from Princess, HAL, Celebrity, NCL, etc.  That said - if, and it’s still all wild guessing, Princess is sending Sky to LA in early 2022 they can do so with a shortened sailing schedule as opposed to that of Discovery if needed.  It will be interesting to see what’s about to fall out of the hat on this one!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

15 hours ago, skynight said:

Could be various reasons such as:

A dry dock to handle issues still within the warranty period

Moving to the west coast for the summer Alaska season

Early departure to Europe 

14 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I have never seen Princess send a Vessel to Europe that early in March, but a drydock could be possible, though she will only be 2.5 years old in March 2022, usually the first drydock is 4-5 years from launch.  If there is a technical issue they have ample time now to have it corrected before she re-enters service.

Early departure to Europe is the correct answer.

Her transatlantic will be on 12 Mar 2022, 16 nights Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.

The first Europe cruise in that season will be on 28 Mar 2022, 12 nights Southampton roundtrip.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

Well why did you say that the first Europe cruise will be Mar 2022? 

4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Her transatlantic will be on 12 Mar 2022, 16 nights Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.

The first Europe cruise in that season will be on 28 Mar 2022, 12 nights Southampton roundtrip.

23 hours ago, nini said:

Strange...

A) the Princess website shows that the March 5, 2022 (7 day)

is still available.

B) the January 5, 2021 (10 days) is "currently not available". This was

at 10:00 am Pacific Coast time.

AtlantaCruiser72-

I did not say they had been cancelled. As stated "currently not available".

Pathi said their Jan. 5th, 2021 was still a go, when indeed, it was actually

"currently not available". The change must have taken place in the blink of an eye.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:13 AM, Grandma Rambo said:

I got any email from Princess early this morning informing me that our Sky Princess cruise March, 2022 was cancelled because of deployment issues.

I was shocked, thinking we were safe with a cruise so far out.  They gave no offers for rebooking anything,  

Just an FYI for y'all.

Happy dreaming,

Jennie

My April 2022 on the Discovery was canceled for the same reason.  We were offered $50 OBC and cabin upgrades.  

On 11/14/2020 at 5:40 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

I see on another thread Sky - March 28/22 - 12 night from Southampton to Canary Islands. 

11 minutes ago, dog said:

I see on another thread Sky - March 28/22 - 12 night from Southampton to Canary Islands. 

Correct - her last 3 Caribbean cruises in 2022 were cancelled and she will sail a transatlantic on 3/12 to Southampton then begin her European Season in March which is unusually early for Princess. 

• Like 1