The Daily for Saturday Nov 14, 2020

richwmn

13 minutes ago, gigianne said:

We are affected by the ship switch - Zuiderdam to Volendam (next October).  We had a backup plan in case we didn't get the cabins class that we wanted - we did and will stay with the V as we love the itinerary.  

Good news indeed 😄. Glad you are happy with the assignment you got 😄 

• Like 5

Good morning from swfl.  I love the menu for the day.  I will take seafood in anything as long as the seafood is not raw!!!   Oh to have a Cosmo!!!   Thanks everyone for the prayers, I am feeling better today and the coughing isn't so bad.  @Seasick SailorSailor you are making me hungry with that picture!!!      I hope everyone had a good Friday the 13th!!!   

Here is my contribution to the daily:  for all the adventurers among us.  On this day in 1770 James Bruce, a Scottish Explorer discovers what he believes is the source of the Nile River!!!

Hope everyone hasa a great day today!!!

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Good morning from swfl.  I love the menu for the day.  I will take seafood in anything as long as the seafood is not raw!!!   Oh to have a Cosmo!!!   Thanks everyone for the prayers, I am feeling better today and the coughing isn't so bad.  @Seasick SailorSailor you are making me hungry with that picture!!!      I hope everyone had a good Friday the 13th!!!   

Here is my contribution to the daily:  for all the adventurers among us.  On this day in 1770 James Bruce, a Scottish Explorer discovers what he believes is the source of the Nile River!!!

Hope everyone hasa a great day today!!!

Glad you are feeling a bit better!  You are both still on our list - and it is a good list!😎

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Paella, while not technically a stew, also comes to mind as a wonderful meal with both sausage and fish. 👍

Yum, I remember on the Amsterdam they cooked a giant pan of paella on Lido deck.  Unfortunately the health department put an end to Lido cookouts.  They said they were more than 25 feet from a sink......😳🥺😡

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@richwmnis your helper a recent addition?  He/she looks so tiny compared to my floofy Sochi.

@Cat Shannon

2 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

Great looking supervisor you have there.... 🐱

Good morning @ger_77. Prissy (nee' Calli) has been around for about 7 years, since shortly after I moved in where I now reside. I think I have included pictures of her before when one of the "Celebration" days included cats. She actually came into the neighborhood with someone across the street, but started spending more time here, probably since I live and work at the same place so I am here most of the day. The guy who used to be her staff approves, and visits now and then.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yum, I remember on the Amsterdam they cooked a giant pan of paella on Lido deck.  Unfortunately the health department put an end to Lido cookouts.  They said they were more than 25 feet from a sink......😳🥺😡

Oh for the good old days when all we had to worry about was noro.

• Like 10

Good morning, all, and thank you to Rich and Roy for the Daily briefing!  Today is going to be a tiring one, I think.  I still have bulbs to plant, so if it doesn't rain, that's what I will be doing.  Yesterday we were the warmest spot in Canada at 12 celsius, I think it's going to stay mild for about a week, but rainy.  Pat's hearing appointment is at 4 and is supposed to take 90 minutes (at Costco), so if it's not too crowded I will shop, and then probably he will be tired, so I'll drive home.  DD said she would pick up pizza.  At Costco, @gigianne, I will be looking for those 5 layer masks, actually I thought I would wear one of my cloth masks with an additional filter, and under that, a surgical mask.  Numbers are going up in BC, too, not so much on the island but there has been an outbreak in the Nanaimo hospital, so that's a bit scary.  I would approve of a lockdown for a few weeks, I think, this has turned into a really long battle against the virus.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I still have bulbs to plant, so if it doesn't rain, that's what I will be doing.  Yesterday we were the warmest spot in Canada at 12 celsius, I think it's going to stay mild for about a week, but rainy.

I am jealous that you can still plant bulbs.  Mine are all in as it would be too late now.  The ground is freezing.  I was very grateful for our “Indian Summer” that made the task a bit more pleasant.

• Like 5

Good morning and thankyou Rich, Roy et al! 
Our numbers our highest ever so we’ve put in place some more guidelines but I fear they won’t be enough!   Our daughter is a teacher and was isolating this week, but fortunately her test was negative.  Scary times!  Hadn’t heard of five layer masks.  Have bought the kn 95. 

@cat shepard I would gladly buy a bottle if we could celebrate this thing being over.   We’ve had some duck horns and  decoys that were very good, but not in that price range!  
speaking of ducks,  some locals....

907270ED-6950-4FAB-8E61-515765BD748F.jpeg

DB0EA3CD-6317-4A64-B9E3-70E6897CF029.jpeg

4FBE690A-DA48-45A3-A6D1-00885D577117.jpeg

D908496F-26F1-4E20-BA3F-95AF47DD676E.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

Started off this morning with an early morning call from my 91 year old Sister (I hate it when the phone rings at before 7). She called to tell me that my niece's husband has tested positive for Covid-19. They were at her house about a week ago she is probably going to get tested. He started showing symptoms on Tuesday after their Sunday visit to bring groceries  and got the results back today. He is high risk, so she is worried about him..... I am worried about her. They are in Maryland. I sit on the far edge of Colorado and worry.

Here is Durango we have moved to Orange level.... and I am staying home as much as possible. Will venture out this morning to stock up on dog food. I have a neighbor who does my grocery shopping and she does a good job. What a mess. If I have to sign checks for our Humane Society I may have Animal Protection bring them to me rather than me going in to the shelter. Not looking forward to the next few weeks, but will do what needs to be done. Dogs will be happy with more walks.

One fun thing.... when I was clearing out a storage container last week I found a "jolly boy" doll from the Veendam. It was from the crossing of 1937!!!! My Sister remembers it.... I don't.... I am listed on the passenger manifest with my Mother as "and infant". I do remember when that ship was scrapped in Baltimore in the mid-1950's. She had survived the War (just barely). I was working near the harbour (undeveloped) at that time and saw her on her way to the scrap yard.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Started off this morning with an early morning call from my 91 year old Sister (I hate it when the phone rings at before 7). She called to tell me that my niece's husband has tested positive for Covid-19. They were at her house about a week ago she is probably going to get tested. He started showing symptoms on Tuesday after their Sunday visit to bring groceries  and got the results back today. He is high risk, so she is worried about him..... I am worried about her. They are in Maryland. I sit on the far edge of Colorado and worry.

This is very distressing.  Unfortunately, things are not going well in Maryland.   Yesterday we set a new record with 1869 new cases.  It didn't last long.  Today we have 2321 new cases, not at all an encouraging trend.  The one good piece of news is that so far our hospitals are in pretty good shape.

Roy

• Like 6

Good morning, all! Happy Diwali! A celebration day is most welcome about now! We have scallops, smoked salmon steaks, and sausage in the freezer, so let’s see how that goes.

Friday the 13th brought us over 2” of rain followed by an intense dry thunderstorm. It also brought official confirmation from my DS that a family Christmas, in any form, is off. We knew it would be, it’s just sad to make it real. To compensate, I will decorate lavishly and early this,year!

• Like 8

@Horizon chaserI think I, too, will decorate for Christmas this year. I haven’t done any decorating for probably 12 years because we used to leave for Florida on Christmas Day or the day after. Since we are definitely not going this year it might bring some joy into what will be a long winter. My Christmas decorations will be ecstatic to be released from their boxes! And it will give me the opportunity to sort thru and donate or throw out what I no longer want.

• Like 13

Thanks for The Daily, it is so nice to be a part of the world through these posts. DH and I returned from a nice trip to AZ, fun in the sun! Hats off to the Hilton Hotel chain, seeing almost everyone wearing masks, the great Mexican food dinner, my sisters' hospitality, and most importantly, spending time with my mom.  Her independent living place has a spiffy thermometer that takes a look at your face and gives you your temp, she had a Covid-19 test while I was visiting (negative!).   🥰  After a 4 week quarantine in her room, it was joy to watch her take in all of her surroundings as we drove around the Valley of the Sun. We are safely home to the most restrictive level (starting tonight) in San Diego County.  😐

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thankyou Rich, Roy et al! 
Our numbers our highest ever so we’ve put in place some more guidelines but I fear they won’t be enough!   Our daughter is a teacher and was isolating this week, but fortunately her test was negative.  Scary times!  Hadn’t heard of five layer masks.  Have bought the kn 95. 

@cat shepard I would gladly buy a bottle if we could celebrate this thing being over.  

4FBE690A-DA48-45A3-A6D1-00885D577117.jpeg

It is scary.  I live in a U.S. state whose Governor has enabled the virus.  

But being the eternal optimist, I know we will find a way to control this disease - in time! So when that happens - you buy a bottle of the Duckhorn & I will get some nice champagne & we will celebrate.

I love this pic! Great timing!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 6

Good Morning all.  Susan, hope your niece’s husband has a mild case and recovers soon and that your sister tests negative as well as bennybear’s daughter.

As a family decision, we decided that our daughters and their husbands will not come to Arizona for Christmas.  I still plan to decorate in the hope it will make the holidays a little brighter during this trying time for all.

Lenda

• Like 7