Hi all can’t believe I’m in this situation again 6th time this year. Now  the balance is due for my Iona 6th March 2021 really want to believe this cruise will go ahead but have some niggling doubts I don’t want to pay in case it’s cancelled because have had some horrendous problems with TA I do realise bottom line it’s up to me but would appreciate some of your views.

2 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi all can’t believe I’m in this situation again 6th time this year. Now  the balance is due for my Iona 6th March 2021 really want to believe this cruise will go ahead but have some niggling doubts I don’t want to pay in case it’s cancelled because have had some horrendous problems with TA I do realise bottom line it’s up to me but would appreciate some of your views.

I dont think we would be paying the balance either. We would probably either transfer the cruise to one in 2022, or maybe even just wait for P&O to cancel it and then take the FCC, hopefully

Try asking your TA for an extension of balance due date.I managed to get balance extension dates for 2 previous cruises which were subsequently cancelled (one booked direct with P and O the other with a TA.It meant I only needed to get the deposit refunded.I argued that it is unreasonable to expect to have to pay the balance of a cruise when FCO still advises against cruising.

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Yes would like to transfer to a 2022 booking but past experience our Ta has cancelled and rebooked so they receive further commissions 

I think that is the normal way, I presume they will lose the commission on the cancelled cruise so it's only reasonable that they get the commission on its replacement. You should not be any worse off, if you are then the TA is cheating you

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I think that will have to be our course of action so disappointed with our TA. Do you think P & O will deal with us direct will be so happy if they do problems over 👍

I can’t see why they wouldn’t let you book direct. They are the ones sorting FCC, not the agents and I am sure they will be quite happy to do your transfer, maybe hoping you will book direct with them in future.

3 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I’m booked on that cruise, and I’m definitely not paying.

The balance was due to be paid to my TA by 6th November,  and they have extended the balance date to 26th November.

I’m hoping that P&O will cancel, but I have a sneaking suspicion they are going to wait until after the final payment due date, in which case I’ll have to transfer the cruise to a later date.

Looking at the situation realistically - cases surging in this country and cases still surging in in Spain makes it very unlikely that the cruise will sail in about three and a half months time.

Also, even if there is cruising by the start of March, the first cruise in a year is not going to be a two week cruise to Spain - it’d be experimental cruises of a couple of days with no ports.

So, my view  is- don’t pay! 

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that is the normal way, I presume they will lose the commission on the cancelled cruise so it's only reasonable that they get the commission on its replacement. You should not be any worse off, if you are then the TA is cheating you

Sorry didn’t make myself clear when P&o cancelled our January 21 cruise we asked our TA to transfer our booking  to March 21 using our 125%FCC which they didn’t do saying they were still waiting for it to show on our account meanwhile we contacted P&o to make a new booking for 2022 they said we have a FCC which we could use so we booked another cruise with them direct so we haven’t lost anything apart from our Obc we are unhappy with our TA and would like to deal from now on with P&o

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m booked on that cruise, and I’m definitely not paying.

The balance was due to be paid to my TA by 6th November,  and they have extended the balance date to 26th November.

I’m hoping that P&O will cancel, but I have a sneaking suspicion they are going to wait until after the final payment due date, in which case I’ll have to transfer the cruise to a later date.

Looking at the situation realistically - cases surging in this country and cases still surging in in Spain makes it very unlikely that the cruise will sail in about three and a half months time.

Also, even if there is cruising by the start of March, the first cruise in a year is not going to be a two week cruise to Spain - it’d be experimental cruises of a couple of days with no ports.

So, my view  is- don’t pay! 

Paul Ludlow as already stated the following at the launch of the Summer 2022 programme on the 3rd Nov - " he didn’t technically have to make a call on whether to cancel cruises from March onwards until the New Year, but said: “If we do have to move it further out, I’d want to make that decision before the end of the year".

I must say  that our TA has been excellent in transferring our P&O cruise from 2021 to 2022 and at a price that was cheaper than P&O if I had booked direct albeit a small amount of £70 but not to be sniffed at. Having said that thankfully I no longer use a very cold TA and even though they have been somewhat cheaper in the past but we have had issues way before Covid so they havent got the best reputation anyway.

54 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Paul Ludlow as already stated the following at the launch of the Summer 2022 programme on the 3rd Nov - " he didn’t technically have to make a call on whether to cancel cruises from March onwards until the New Year, but said: “If we do have to move it further out, I’d want to make that decision before the end of the year".

I am aware of this quote. 

‘By the end of the year’ could well be too late for a refund of deposit when P&Os final payment date is 6th December for the first Iona cruise that is still due to sail on 6th March. 

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My TA has transferred my April 2021 deposit to 2022 with no problems at all?

My husband and I have been following this thread as we too along with both Dermotsgirl and lindylooellalouise are worried about what to do as far as paying the balance on this cruise goes.  

What exactly will we be paying for as none of us can possibly know whether ....

A) The cruise will go ahead

B) The ship will be docking at any of the ports we are expecting to visit

C) And what will the onboard experience consist of?

As the onboard experience is a very big part of our holiday  (we love the theatre shows, the live music and particularly enjoy dancing) this is leaving us in a huge quandary.  
We will take a pretty dim view if P&O expect us to pay the balance in three weeks time and we don’t have a clue what we will be getting for our money. 
We can’t transfer the deposit to  later next year or 2022 as we already have cruises booked for then.  
Does anyone think an extension into January, or possibly to six weeks before expected sailing date is possible and should we all start requesting such an extension?  
P&O can’t possibly know what they will be able to provide come March and as such should not be able to insist we pay the balance for what is essentially a hypothetical holiday.

More comments and advice will be very welcome please !!

Fred Olsen changed their balance due date to 28 days before sailing, and also undertook to cancel cruises at least 30 days before sailing. Therefore Fred's passengers haven't been put in the situation where they've had to pay a large sum of money for an unknown experience.

I think a bit of flexibility on balance dates by P&O would have been very helpful, but they have resolutely stuck to the 90 days.

I will probably transfer my cruise to one of the 7 day Iona cruises to Norway in 2022.  We only had one cruise booked in 2020 (with Fred in March and refunded in full). We will end up with three cruises in 2022, but if we'd booked at our normal level we might have had 4 or 5 cruises to keep rescheduling. 

In your case, I suppose you could move to a short cruise in 2022, and then move it again into 2023 when the 2023 itineraries come out. But that assumes that P&O still do their flexible transfer policy. Another option would be just to write off the deposit - our deposit for this cruise was £146, so it's a relatively small amount. But, why should the passenger have to lose money for something that's not their fault.

None of it is very satisfactory, I'm afraid. Just hanging on as long as possible before I have to make the decision. 

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Fred Olsen changed their balance due date to 28 days before sailing, and also undertook to cancel cruises at least 30 days before sailing. Therefore Fred's passengers haven't been put in the situation where they've had to pay a large sum of money for an unknown experience.

I think a bit of flexibility on balance dates by P&O would have been very helpful, but they have resolutely stuck to the 90 days.

I will probably transfer my cruise to one of the 7 day Iona cruises to Norway in 2022.  We only had one cruise booked in 2020 (with Fred in March and refunded in full). We will end up with three cruises in 2022, but if we'd booked at our normal level we might have had 4 or 5 cruises to keep rescheduling. 

In your case, I suppose you could move to a short cruise in 2022, and then move it again into 2023 when the 2023 itineraries come out. But that assumes that P&O still do their flexible transfer policy. Another option would be just to write off the deposit - our deposit for this cruise was £146, so it's a relatively small amount. But, why should the passenger have to lose money for something that's not their fault.

None of it is very satisfactory, I'm afraid. Just hanging on as long as possible before I have to make the decision. 

I agree that a bit of flexibility by P and O regarding balance due dates would be good and I think if you phone customer services they will just tell you what the official policy is i.e that balance is due 90 days before sail date.However if you email guest relations and politely explain why you think its unreasonable to expect a balance to be paid when FCO advice still advises against cruising and that the package offered is likely to differ from what you booked you may find them helpful(I feel they have got time to read an email and think about a response whereas if you phone they give an immediate answer.) They may still not be willing to extend the date but I feel its probably worth a try

Thank you Dermotsgirl.

Yes we will definitely hang on as long as we can too and put up a bit of a fight if we have to !!
To be fair our deposit isn’t massive either, I think it was around £250 but we still don’t particularly want to lose it. 
Will you consider sticking with the possibility of going and decide to pay in full do you think?  Or do you feel that the experience we will have (if we actually sail of course) will be so far removed from our expectations of a cruise that it will just be a complete waste of money?

We were on board Oceana in March this year at the time the ports were all shutting down and we returned to Southampton early.  Our March cruises from Southampton seem to be ill fated !!

I see you live in Kent ... We are from Kent too ...  near Maidstone.
Cruising from Southampton is such an easy option from here,  made even better as there are no airports/flights involved. 👍🏻😁

34 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

My husband and I have been following this thread as we too along with both Dermotsgirl and lindylooellalouise are worried about what to do as far as paying the balance on this cruise goes.  

What exactly will we be paying for as none of us can possibly know whether ....

A) The cruise will go ahead

B) The ship will be docking at any of the ports we are expecting to visit

C) And what will the onboard experience consist of?

As the onboard experience is a very big part of our holiday  (we love the theatre shows, the live music and particularly enjoy dancing) this is leaving us in a huge quandary.  
We will take a pretty dim view if P&O expect us to pay the balance in three weeks time and we don’t have a clue what we will be getting for our money. 
We can’t transfer the deposit to  later next year or 2022 as we already have cruises booked for then.  
Does anyone think an extension into January, or possibly to six weeks before expected sailing date is possible and should we all start requesting such an extension?  
P&O can’t possibly know what they will be able to provide come March and as such should not be able to insist we pay the balance for what is essentially a hypothetical holiday.

More comments and advice will be very welcome please !!

If my memory serves me right P&O have refused to change the date of balance to be paid in the past. So unless P&O extend their cessation of cruises past their current date unfortunately you dont have many options. If you pay balance in full then you will obviously get a full refund if cruise cancelled and it would be anyone's guess how long you would wait for that. Other options as a FCC would be of no use to you is either go on the cruise and it might be anywhere near what we all know what cruises are like and you might not enjoy or cancel and lose deposit before final balance is due. Personally I would cancel the cruise and take the hit of losing deposit rather than go on a very heavily restricted cruise which if you cancelled  after final balance was paid you would lose a lot more money.

Thank you ann141. 
We are booked through a TA so will have to ask them to negotiate on our behalf. 
I have to say they have always been excellent unlike the experiences of some of the other posters on here who are less than impressed, so we will see if they can pull any strings for us.

I agree that the package we booked and the experience that will inevitably be provided could be grounds for us to have a refund??